• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

The “streaky” Son banging in more goals for fun. Been our 2nd best attacking player for the last season and a half. Some streak.

I think he does go on streaks of scoring and being deadly, then goes quiet for a few games, then repeats. I don't think that's a bad thing. Might be my imagination, I don't have the stats to hand to back it up.

I think he does go on streaks of scoring and being deadly, then goes quiet for a few games, then repeats. I don't think that's a bad thing. Might be my imagination, I don't have the stats to hand to back it up.

28 goals in 90 prem games iirc. The only other midfielder that comes close to that is Alli who has 33 in 98 I believe. I definitely think streaky was a perfect term for Son two years ago but not now. If you score 10 league goals two seasons in a row that’s not a streaky player in my opinion.

I’m sure he would have got his hat-trick today if he hadn’t been subbed off. I felt sorry for him but it’s about the team not the individual. If coming off early today means he’s fresh and sharp and on the same form on Wednesday night then it was the right thing to do.
There is less fanfare around him than Kane or Dele, but he is becoming quite prolific.

28 goals in 90 prem games iirc. The only other midfielder that comes close to that is Alli who has 33 in 98 I believe. I definitely think streaky was a perfect term for Son two years ago but not now. If you score 10 league goals two seasons in a row that’s not a streaky player in my opinion.

Well if you score those goals in bunches and then go several games without scoring, that's what people mean by "streaky" right? So those numbers don't disprove that imo, but I don't have a full breakdown of Sonny's scoring pattern so I don't know for sure -- just a feeling I have when watching us and Son, that he goes through phases where it seems like he's on fire and can't stop scoring, then he quietens down for a few games. But it's not a criticism, just an observation. When he gets on a run of form, keep playing him imo.

Also, a separate point -- but I think Dele and Son are more forwards in our team than midfielders. I'd say Eriksen is a midfielder, but Dele and Son are more like Salah and Mane for Liverpool, in that they are there more for their work in the final 3rd as forwards than in the middle 3rd as midfielders.

Well if you score those goals in bunches and then go several games without scoring, that's what people mean by "streaky" right? So those numbers don't disprove that imo, but I don't have a full breakdown of Sonny's scoring pattern so I don't know for sure -- just a feeling I have when watching us and Son, that he goes through phases where it seems like he's on fire and can't stop scoring, then he quietens down for a few games. But it's not a criticism, just an observation. When he gets on a run of form, keep playing him imo.

Also, a separate point -- but I think Dele and Son are more forwards in our team than midfielders. I'd say Eriksen is a midfielder, but Dele and Son are more like Salah and Mane for Liverpool, in that they are there more for their work in the final 3rd as forwards than in the middle 3rd as midfielders.

Fair calls

It’s why eriksen is our lynch pin

No other players is the glue that keep the team together

Last edited:
Fair calls

It’s why eriksen is our lunch pin

No other players is the glue that keep the team together

Eriksen is very important isn't he, you normally notice it massively when he's not playing. Though as it happens, thought it was one of his more average days today. The whole team was a bit "meh" apart from Son, who was electric. You just knew from the first minute he was gonna have a good day.

Eriksen is very important isn't he, you normally notice it massively when he's not playing. Though as it happens, thought it was one of his more average days today. The whole team was a bit "meh" apart from Son, who was electric. You just knew from the first minute he was gonna have a good day.
People have claimed lamella is the man to cover but lamela isn’t in the same league. We have no one else who can play those little balls over the top or across the area and do it as well .... well maybe Kane but that would be a waste

People have claimed lamella is the man to cover but lamela isn’t in the same league. We have no one else who can play those little balls over the top or across the area and do it as well .... well maybe Kane but that would be a waste

I wonder if Winks could develop into that type of player eventually, or whether he will stay in a deeper role. Though Eriksen does spend a lot of time in deeper positions, he's just very good around the box as well.

Yep it started with Lampard at Chelski, the is no way he was a midfielder despite everyone saying he was. Which is why playing him in a base midfield position alongside Gerrad for England was utter madness that seemed to befall a few England managers.

Fair enough. A lot of attacking players go through peaks and troughs. Look at Harry Kane, hasn’t ever scored a goal in August. I think it take more issue when people say all he does is score. That’s just not true. His overall play has improved over the last year or so. He’s had some brilliant games for us this season, not only when he’s scored goals either. He terrorises defences with his pace and crossing ability when he’s at his best. It’s not like he scores but does nothing for the rest of the game.

Yep it started with Lampard at Chelski, the is no way he was a midfielder despite everyone saying he was. Which is why playing him in a base midfield position alongside Gerrad for England was utter madness that seemed to befall a few England managers.

Disagree mate, people are midfielders/defenders/forwards based on where they start the game, where they line up and the position they spend most of their time in, not goal tally. Lampard was a midfielder, Dele, Son are midfielders.

Another big point is not do they score goals, but could they hold the striker position all on their own? Chelsea would not play Lampard as striker, nor would we play Dele, same thing for Mane, perhaps Salah/Son could but again, their best position is in midfield (attacking midfield, but midfield all the same).

Re the streaky thing, it's more form & opportunity. Son is becoming a critical player for us, his 15-20 goals a season wins a lot of points.

Son looked cheesed off on the bench whenever the TV panned on him
hopefully Poch has told the midfielders "we have 10 midfielders for 5 spots, everyone needs match time, so mostly it will be midfielders who will be subbed"

Son looked cheesed off on the bench whenever the TV panned on him
hopefully Poch has told the midfielders "we have 10 midfielders for 5 spots, everyone needs match time, so mostly it will be midfielders who will be subbed"
Frustration with not playing or being subbed is a perfectly natural and I would say good response. We want players that are desperate to play and perform.

I'm sure he understands, and I'm quite sure he'll accept it just fine.

Very good game from him yesterday. If there was a plan that he would play vs. Huddersfield and Lamela would start the Juventus game Son did enough to make Pochettino have another think about that.

Back