• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

Wow. I love the guy, but about 2% as much as your average Korean football fan!

Also indicates how politically sensitive his military service must be. I'd imagine that "SON SHIRKS SERVICE" would be on the front page of every Korean newspaper.
If he's in the UK doing his job then he won't have to read them.

Wow. I love the guy, but about 2% as much as your average Korean football fan!

Also indicates how politically sensitive his military service must be. I'd imagine that "SON SHIRKS SERVICE" would be on the front page of every Korean newspaper.

Or ... arguably best player Korea ever produces has career cut short by unnecessary government flimflam that could be pushed off 5 years ...

If he was a mediocre player in a brick league, I'd see it, but I doubt anyone in the South Korean public would rather see Son serve vs. play in PL & CL.

Or ... arguably best player Korea ever produces has career cut short by unnecessary government flimflam that could be pushed off 5 years ...

If he was a mediocre player in a brick league, I'd see it, but I doubt anyone in the South Korean public would rather see Son serve vs. play in PL & CL.
I agree, but it still needs to be handled well. A five-year delay coming from the government could be sold as a glorious gesture to allow one of the country's favourite Sons (pun intended) to raise the profile of Korea through football, be a role model for Korean kids, etc. He can do more good playing for Spurs than he ever could marching along the border with a rifle. Or whatever cushy desk job they find for him.

But if it's sold as Son being awkward or refusing to honour his duties, things could go sour. Remember how Beckham was vilified for his World Cup sending-off?

I agree, but it still needs to be handled well. A five-year delay coming from the government could be sold as a glorious gesture to allow one of the country's favourite Sons (pun intended) to raise the profile of Korea through football, be a role model for Korean kids, etc. He can do more good playing for Spurs than he ever could marching along the border with a rifle. Or whatever cushy desk job they find for him.

But if it's sold as Son being awkward or refusing to honour his duties, things could go sour. Remember how Beckham was vilified for his World Cup sending-off?

Mate, agree in principle, but having grown up in a smaller country (not US/UK) where top level sportsmen are far less numerous (than say a Beckham was), it wouldn't be that hard a sell. Actually it would probably be highly unpopular if they forced the move and the following year Spurs was in CL or won a cup, far easier to backfire by forcing vs. appearing to make a gesture for the benefit of the sport in the country.

Being among the best golfers in the world didn't help this guy:

Sang-Moon Bae completes military service, ready to return to golf

Joel Beall

Chris Condon

Two years ago, Sang-Moon Bae turned in the best season of his professional career, winning the Frys.com Open, accumulating nearly $2.6 million in earnings and competing for the International Team at the Presidents Cup, held in his native country of South Korea. Unfortunately for Bae, his homeland requires all males 18-to-35 to complete a two-year military commitment. After losing a court battle seeking a wavier, Bae was forced to set aside the sport for service.

However, on Wednesday Bae officially completed his duty as a rifleman in the army, and is making his return to golf at next month's Shinhan Donghae Open, an event co-sanctioned by the Asian Tour and Korean PGA.

"Even though I didn't get to play much, I grew to love golf even more," the 31-year-old Bae said in a statement. He also mentioned he was able to keep in shape with weight-lifting and cardio workouts.

Though Bae and his team have not constructed a plan for the PGA Tour, he will have full status for the 2017-18 season through a Family Crisis and Major Medical exemption.

"I have a lot of work to do," Bae said to Yonhap News. "I've been dying to play golf. I want to get some practice in and get into tournament golf. I've been dreaming of the moment when I find myself in contention for a title."

@Rock Strongo

- Not suite the same, Golf is not football, and you can play golf until you die effectively (certainly can compete into 40s if not 50s)
- PL & CL is a way higher profile sport, with a very limited age of playable years.

Listen, they can be dingdongs and do whatever they want (all governments can/do), but with his popularity and current success, it makes no sense.

I wonder if Son being subbed while Lamela was left on the pitch is a sign that Son will start against Huddersfield...

Good game from Son again.

In the article about the golfer, it says 2 years military service between 18-35. So just defer Son's until he's 33. He's only 25 at the minute, so ain't got to worry about it for ages, by the age of 33 he'll be coming to the last phase of a top level career anyway.

Back