• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, your final thoughts 2011-2012 season?

I think we had the squad last season to achieve 3rd. Bale? Modric? VdV? Adebayor? Parker? And a vastly improved goalkeeper in Friedel? I could go on. With our squad and especially with developments with competitors, I have not changed my mind

I suppose this is the crux of it. I'd say Modric, Bale and Parker are our key players but all of them are overrated to some extent. Outside of that, and this is where Redknapp does deserve some criticism for not really building strongly on what he inherited, we'd be fighting it out down there with Everton and Liverpool for 6th-8th at best. It lacks quality outside of a few players and it lacks quality in depth. That does not translate into a comfortable 3rd place finish, for me. Fighting it out with Chelsea and Arsenal for 3rd-5th seems about right. And we fought one of them off very comfortably. Remember, they are no mugs. They're in the European Cup Final. Yes, we benefited from the manager fiasco but there is nothing you can do but beat what is front of you.

A better manager would have done far better with the squad that Redknapp has at his disposal, IMHO. (If only Jol had this squad)

This forgets that he arguably had a similar squad to the one Redknapp finished 4th with the first time around - but which Jol had in the bottom 3. So not sure why he'd do any better than 4th with this squad? Bale, BAE, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto, King, Corluka, Huddlestone, Lennon, Defoe, Dawson... they were there under Jol plus Berbatov and Keane. There was also Chimbonda, Boateng, Taarabt, Lee, Bent, Malbranque, Tainio. Only Modric, from the 09/10 4th place team, is the player of real quality that wasn't there under Jol. Redknapp ended up inheriting a stronger midfield but a weaker attack and a defence that was largely the same. Yet with most of that lot Jol was nowhere near the top 4 and then in the bottom 3 at the start of the following season. Some of those players had regressed badly under Jol or stagnated, others had been handled poorly, especially the young players and others had just been frozen out/ignored. It is taken as read now what a good squad Redknapp inherited but it is forgotten now Jol had written off half of it and so had we!

Last edited:
How about Wenger, SAF, Clough for starters..... even Pardew now. SGE got pilloried for not doing it.

Disagree. The pressure goes with the turf.

Didn't Clough make a point of he and his players NOT doing this during games? I think he actually fined Forest players if they challenged the decision of the officials? And Wenger has not won a major trophy for 8 years despite finishing top 4 every year with considerable resources... whereas Redknapp has managed 1 major trophy with a club that couldn't really be expected to win one.

we need someone like martinez etc who has modern/fresh ideas , it looks like liverpool are already in the running for him ...

I think that it is hilarious that people are calling for Redknapp's head for a poor run of results and think that the answer is Martinez - Mr Quarter of a Season himself.

I think that it is hilarious that people are calling for Redknapp's head for a poor run of results and think that the answer is Martinez - Mr Quarter of a Season himself.

Hilarious and disturbing. Especially considering the amount of people wanting Redknapp fired for Owen Coyle this time last year....

Not even remotely, it neither addresses the point nor comments logically on it

Look here mate.

You state that manager attitude does not influence a game.

I have supplied top managers who most certainly do this, notably SAF, and most certainly do influence games, much to the annoyance to many over many years (on here included). Yet you say this isn't the case. It most certainly does address the issue and is entirely logical BECAUSE IT IS fudging CORRECT.

I think we had the squad last season to achieve 3rd. Bale? Modric? VdV? Adebayor? Parker? And a vastly improved goalkeeper in Friedel? I could go on. With our squad and especially with developments with competitors, I have not changed my mind.

And we missed out on it by a whopping 1 point to a team that has finished above us every season since 95/96 and whose (usually injury prone) striker was the best player in the league.

If you'd said our first team is capable of beating Arsenal to 3rd (actually it SHOULD be 4th because Chelsea have a first team that is either the best in the league, or second best behind City) then I may have agreed with you. But if anyone thinks we really do have a better squad than Arsenal then they are tripping out of their mind and either completely over rating our players, or under rating the scums.

show me where I have posted a long winded thread starter, where I have produced a load of massaged statistics and then made either pro or anti management statements based on nothing more than my opinion of what the statistics mean.

I can help you by pointing you towards a post I made (within another thread hijacked by anti Harry posts) with stats about HRs record of management, and where I said the trend appeared to be that he was becoming a more successful manager, particularly as the resources were better.

So logically I would say that if you gave him financial resources to improve a team that he has kept in the top 5 over the last 3 seasons - he would be even more successful.

However, I would only post that as an opinion, and not try to persuade anyone that the stats meant anything more.

You however are just dingdonging around with one section of the season, attributing it to something that has no substance to it and trying to persuade people that its a fact.

Which in your mind - it has become.

The latter part of the season was not a disaster, it was 10 points from 12 - 2.5 points per game, which over a season would have been 95 points. Oh hang on thats a meaningless stat isn't it? But it coincides with errm, come on, come on - help me with something that proves he's still a clown shoe..........

sigh

Look here mate.

You state that manager attitude does not influence a game.

I have supplied top managers who most certainly do this, notably SAF, and most certainly do influence games, much to the annoyance to many over many years (on here included). Yet you say this isn't the case. It most certainly does address the issue and is entirely logical BECAUSE IT IS fudging CORRECT.

it doesn't address the point I was making about Steffs post

so its not correct

Back