• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

Yeah
There are a range of books about inspirational people that are popular with kids
There called Little People with Big Dreams
They are great books

Holds up until you realise books could have been written about Japanese garden lovers exploits (and probably have).

Like fudge is Bowie a book character. Probably easier to say if I did have children, but I do however how a couple of Bowie albums on vinyl. Doesn’t make my experience anymore relevant to world book day though.

To make it relevant to what happened today thread, even though most on here would claim it to be beneath them. I found out that a Tesco meal deal now costs £3.50 rather than the more agreeable fee of 3 squid, the absolute barstewards..

Holds up until you realise books could have been written about Japanese garden lovers exploits (and probably have).

Like fudge is Bowie a book character. Probably easier to say if I did have children, but I do however how a couple of Bowie albums on vinyl. Doesn’t make my experience anymore relevant to world book day though.

To make it relevant to what happened today thread, even though most on here would claim it to be beneath them. I found out that a Tesco meal deal now costs £3.50 rather than the more agreeable fee of 3 squid, the absolute barstewards..

https://books.google.co.uk/books/ab...ton&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=1&redir_esc=y

https://buuks.co.uk/shop/david-bowi...hMR4kC8BCjnRPghZIN6l_YIl2N7J4XQ0aAihAEALw_wcB

They have made bowie comics, if it helps.
Second link to kids books, these are very good apparently, wife has bought some for her nursery.

https://books.google.co.uk/books/ab...ton&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=1&redir_esc=y

https://buuks.co.uk/shop/david-bowi...hMR4kC8BCjnRPghZIN6l_YIl2N7J4XQ0aAihAEALw_wcB

Second link to kids books, these are very good apparently, wife has bought some for her nursery.

They are great books
My kids have Bowie and Elton John. Both talk about how pioneered certain things in their field. Neither child listens to their music but they know about these artists
They also have Amelia Earhart and Freda Carlo
Anything that’s teaching kids that being different doesn’t make you odd is a good thing
My kids are very stereotypical normal currently but who knows what will happen
Seeing my wife come home yesterday from doing an early intervention psychosis assessment on an 11 year old was quite a shock. She is super experienced and runs several teams but did this one due to the young age. No one knows why this has triggered in this kid so anything that can help, and inspire is a good thing
The world is fudged after all

So anybody who has ever existed is potentially a book character as well as those who haven’t existed but have been imagined also are book characters too. What a world, to be real and not real simultaneously, exactly as Zuckerburg planned it.

Edit - look I’m happy to be the bad guy here, dress up as whoever you want any day of the week no matter what age you are. But to ascribe it to a celebration of literature is a bit much in my opinion.

So anybody who has ever existed is potentially a book character as well as those who haven’t existed but have been imagined also are book characters too. What a world, to be real and not real simultaneously, exactly as Zuckerburg planned it.
Yeah there called biographies normally
Although some are fabricated like the Bible…

Yeah there called biographies normally
Although some are fabricated like the Bible…

If anything for your children’s sake I wish that it’d be worth the time to explain the difference between there / their and they’re before getting on to the legitimacy of the bible but I think you’re just trolling us at this stage. FWIW I hope your young’uns had a truly awesome day, despite how tenuous it is describing Bowie as a character of a book :)

Last edited:
If anything for your children’s sake I wish that it’d be worth the time to explain the difference between there / their and they’re before getting on to the legitimacy of the bible but I think you’re just trolling us at this stage. FWIW I hope you’re young’uns had a truly awesome day, despite how tenuous it is describing Bowie as a character of a book :)

if intentional, well played

Edit - look I’m happy to be the bad guy here, dress up as whoever you want any day of the week no matter what age you are. But to ascribe it to a celebration of literature is a bit much in my opinion.

Even as a bowie fan i do agree with you in the main.
Its great that this child has been so well costumed that some random guy has come onto a totally unrelated forum and raved about how good he was, but its nothing to do with books.

Even as a bowie fan i do agree with you in the main.
Its great that this child has been so well costumed that some random guy has come onto a totally unrelated forum and raved about how good he was, but its nothing to do with books.
It’s about people who inspire you
How would a kid know about a man who is dead now without some form of record?

It’s about people who inspire you
How would a kid know about a man who is dead now without some form of record?

Don’t get me wrong its great that these books are available and kids seem to love them, ive even read a couple, but for me i expect kids to be choosing differently.
Maybe thats my issue though, my narrow view, comparing what i was like at that age to the young of today.
Perhaps they get their flights of fantasy, fire their imaginations and stimulate their curiosity in a different way from when i was that age.
A lot has changed since the halcyon days of my youth in the late 70s and early 80s.

Don’t get me wrong its great that these books are available and kids seem to love them, ive even read a couple, but for me i expect kids to be choosing differently.
Maybe thats my issue though, my narrow view, comparing what i was like at that age to the young of today.
Perhaps they get their flights of fantasy, fire their imaginations and stimulate their curiosity in a different way from when i was that age.
A lot has changed since the halcyon days of my youth in the late 70s and early 80s.
Everything now is NOW
It’s all more accessible and by default instant
I brought books as a kid from car boot sales
My kids have a multitude of ways of getting access to stories… books not so easy TBF
But I’m a bit biased as my agreement with my kids is do well at something and I’ll buy you a book of your choice or do really well and it’s Lego. It’s quite expensive this way but it has to be better IMO than them wanting game soft a console and virtual money to spend in a game. My mates 10 year old now talks about zombies and killing people like it’s semi normal. That’s off the back of playing console games.
I will add that my kids are 8 and 5 and so far quite academic (as much as they can be) and enjoy school so that side is easier.
And don’t get me started on kids Tv…. I fudging hate it but my two love it. We have to use it as a punishment :mad::mad:

Everything now is NOW
It’s all more accessible and by default instant
I brought books as a kid from car boot sales
My kids have a multitude of ways of getting access to stories… books not so easy TBF
But I’m a bit biased as my agreement with my kids is do well at something and I’ll buy you a book of your choice or do really well and it’s Lego. It’s quite expensive this way but it has to be better IMO than them wanting game soft a console and virtual money to spend in a game. My mates 10 year old now talks about zombies and killing people like it’s semi normal. That’s off the back of playing console games.
I will add that my kids are 8 and 5 and so far quite academic (as much as they can be) and enjoy school so that side is easier.
And don’t get me started on kids Tv…. I fudging hate it but my two love it. We have to use it as a punishment :mad::mad:

I don't have kids so I'm insulated from most of it and don't have much point comparison.
I can see big differences from how my nieces and nephews were raised to how they raise their kids, and its not all good.
How there's been such a massive shift in a generation is mystifying to me.
In my old fart opinion anyway :)

I don't have kids so I'm insulated from most of it and don't have much point comparison.
I can see big differences from how my nieces and nephews were raised to how they raise their kids, and its not all good.
How there's been such a massive shift in a generation is mystifying to me.
In my old fart opinion anyway :)
Trust me
It’s a mystery to me too
But I try my best most of the time

Yeah
There are a range of books about inspirational people that are popular with kids
There called Little People with Big Dreams
They are great books

These look amazing, probably a bit beyond my daughter (she's just turned 2) but on the list for Christmas.

Tried putting an outfit on her but having none of it, she's only just let us put her halloween outfit on her this week - better luck next year.

Back