• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So how about a World Cup in a country you'd really enjoy visiting?

I can absolutely guarantee you there will not be a World Cup in Canada in my lifetime. Not a chance. Why go to Canada when the States and all the $$$ are so close?QUOTE]

Could I interest you in some Nevada or Gulf Coast real estate? Maybe you've missed the economic news the past five years, but Canada's economy is one of the world's stablest. FIFA's courted controversy with its decisons to go to Russia and Qatar. Neither nation is seen as a desirable destination for a vacation by Western Europeans or Americans. Canada is already a popular American tourist destination and will easily appeal to Western European and South or Central American travellers. There's hordes of their relatives living here already. FiFA will rake in the dough.

I can absolutely guarantee you there will not be a World Cup in Canada in my lifetime. Not a chance. Why go to Canada when the States and all the $$$ are so close?QUOTE]

Could I interest you in some Nevada or Gulf Coast real estate? Maybe you've missed the economic news the past five years, but Canada's economy is one of the world's stablest. FIFA's courted controversy with its decisons to go to Russia and Qatar. Neither nation is seen as a desirable destination for a vacation by Western Europeans or Americans. Canada is already a popular American tourist destination and will easily appeal to Western European and South or Central American travellers. There's hordes of their relatives living here already. FiFA will rake in the dough.

I wouldnt go on a vacation to Russia ahead of Canada, but I'd be far more likely to go to a world cup in Russia. Feels more like a footballing country where away from the grounds all the talk will still be football. Look at Poland and Ukraine, brick countries but the Euros being held there was a good decision.

The Qatar world cup doesnt interest me that much.

Canada's greatest test will come in overcoming the shockingly lazy assumptions that people have about the depth of knowledge of the game here. This country is built on immigration. Toronto has a tri-weekly Italian language newspaper, scores of multi-lingual television and radio stations. Montreal and Vancouver are equally diverse and the media in Canada routinely cover major soccer action from Europe.

And Golfball, just how good are you in Slavic languages and Cyrillic alphabets? Would you really have been out talking football with locals who don't speak English? Here in Canada, you'd have little problem finding someone nearby to talk the game in whatever language you prefer.

It is built on immigration here but ultimately the football culture is cringeworthy and actually annoying. I'm from Australia, which is hardly known for its football culture, but north America takes it to another level. Too many people try to make it like the rest of the north American sports, when it's just not required. I'm waiting for the day we have a tv timeout or they play music during a Toronto FC match.

That's not to say Canada wouldn't put on a good show - they would. I went to the U20 World Cup in 2007 and it was great. But as I posted above, they won't get the chance for a long time yet. To bid for the 2026 would be a complete joke as FIFA has said themselves that there will be a World Cup in Europe every second time.

Re: the stadiums. Sure, you can get by for the odd game. I thought the SkyDome was great for the Galaxy match. But these aren't good enough for a World Cup and I think FIFA has criteria around domes / ovals. BMO would need to be upped to 50,000 (not impossible), but try getting that many people out there on a streetcar in the middle of June. It would be murder!

You're probably right about the economy, but it's all about the big advertising dollars and the fact that more people would go to the States. I know that first hand - I've had many friends travel around the States but not make the short journey up here (that may say more about me though!).

Last edited:
Personally I want to see a few World Cups go to proper footballing nations. While I appreciate FIFA wanting to promote football in other countries like South Africa and Qatar, the World Cups are worse for it IMO.

Go back to how it has historically been, in Europe every 8 years and other continents in between.

Personally I think Qatar will be a colossal failure due to the heat, and even worse if they move it to a winter tournament

The problem are all the non-European countries that want a World Cup NOW: Australia, USA, Japan, South Korea (I know they've just had it, but they're both desperate to host one on their own). It was simpler when it alternated between Europe and South America/Mexico/USA.

For 2026 and 2030 the candidates are likely to come from Canada, USA, Mexico, Japan, China, South Korea, Egypt, Marocco and Australia. Probably other African nations thinking about it as well. Possibilities in Europe are England, Spain (alone or in a joint bid with Portugal), Italy and Turkey with France hosting the next EC.

As we know FIFA isn't run by logic, but by money and idiots.

I can't wait to go to the Brazil tournament :D

Qatar will be a challenge, no doubting it. It's 38c in Doha now, 11am. A high of 42 today and 44 on Monday is forecast. Gets hotter too.

Just wait for India to bid...... \o/

I can't wait to go to the Brazil tournament :D

Qatar will be a challenge, no doubting it. It's 38c in Doha now, 11am. A high of 42 today and 44 on Monday is forecast. Gets hotter too.

Just wait for India to bid...... \o/

Would be amazing from a patriotic point of view. From a football perspective, it would be an utter disaster. The Commonwealth games proved that we don't have the infrastructure or the political stability to stage a major tournament.

Unless it's the Cricket World Cup, I struggle to see India hosting any major tournament for at least another fifteen years.

Though, with our legendary culture of corruption, FIFA would feel right at home. :D

Would be amazing from a patriotic point of view. From a football perspective, it would be an utter disaster. The Commonwealth games proved that we don't have the infrastructure or the political stability to stage a major tournament.

Unless it's the Cricket World Cup, I struggle to see India hosting any major tournament for at least another fifteen years.

Though, with our legendary culture of corruption, FIFA would feel right at home. :D

The billionaires can club together and buy the tournament, then watch as the stadiums fall apart. Plus, summer in india? eek. People say Qatar is hot, least it's a dry baking heat. India? er..

The billionaires can club together and buy the tournament, then watch as the stadiums fall apart. Plus, summer in india? eek. People say Qatar is hot, least it's a dry baking heat. India? er..

Nah, the monsoons should cool everything down. Of course, judging by the widespread floods this time around, they're getting a lot more powerful as the effect of global warming begin to hit.

And personally, I struggle to see Sergio Aguero maintaining his perfect ball control in typhoon-class winds and earth-shattering floods of rain, come 2022.;) We could just build stadiums with roofing, but that would mean expenses that could much more easily be attributed to 'unforseen delays'.

I definitely plan on going to the next World Cup. World Cups are definitely better when they are played in countries that are big footballing nations.

Any country can get a WC, provided their brown bag is big enough, recent decisions prove that.

Problem with Canada outside of that, stadiums are very far apart, Vancover -> Toronto is a very big distance, not ideal (not that Russia won't have similar issues).

Re the PC crap about spreading the game, I've seen very little proof that hosting a WC funamentally changes the game within the country. If FIFA had any social responsability they would try not to burden countries that don't have the necessary infrastructure in place with the huge cost associated with hosting the WC, plus their "tax"

Back