• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So how about a World Cup in a country you'd really enjoy visiting?

I can see the WC2026 being held in Europe. I think the Europeans will make a big fuss if the WC is not hosted in Western Europe for more than 20 years, after last hosting iin 2006. But the idea of keeping the WC in Europe is silly. How many European nations can actually host a WC ? Maybe 5 or 6 only. Already UEFA is thinking of co-hosting Euro2020 in the entire continent to lessen the burden of hosting. I think the Europeans will destroy the WC if they host it always.

Last edited:
Brazil

[video=youtube;nsDwDAo9J8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsDwDAo9J8Y[/video]

Good luck recreating that atmosphere. Don't really care how many plastic fans Canada can summon for a month. USA '94 was bad enough.

Gotta love people's ignorance.
Football is the 3rd most watched spectator sport in the US, so for a start you have both Americans and Canadians that would go.

The time since 94 has showmd the mls to be a good standard, scaleable league. In 14 years it could be as strong as something like portugal or holland imho, which, due to geographical restraints will be its limit.

Nxt 14 years will be interesting to see if Canada can start producing players like the US have

Canada... nice country to visit, no place for a world cup though.

I dont see any problem with suggesting it should be held in countries that are really passionate about football. Next up in Brazil you can be sure the whole country will be going crazy for it, it means so much to them. Hold it somewhere like Canada or USA and most people dont care about the sport. Sure the grounds might sell out, but its more a case of people just going along for the sake of it. I'd go and watch a big baseball game if it was held a few miles from my home, but it would just be to check it out rather than really caring what happens.

Just to add, im sure Canada hosting it would be a success, but it would just be a shame that there are far more deserving countries missing out. 1 event every four years, the biggest event in the world and it ends up somewhere that are not keen on the sport, just doesnt feel right.

Do you think Australia would fall under similar classification?

Obviously lots more footie fans there, but would the logistics of getting fans there be to the detriment of the tournament?

Obviously lots more footie fans there, but would the logistics of getting fans there be to the detriment of the tournament?

Only for Europeans. Football in Asia is absolutely massive and a World Cup in Australia would open it up to them again.

The travel around the country could be an issue, but you'd just have one group based in Perth and the rest on the east. All knockout stages could be done between Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. Longest flight would be a couple of hours.

I thought USA 94 was a great tournament, have some brilliant memories of that. Romario and Bebeto killed it then old Diegos fire dragon celebration.

Western Europe shouldnt have it all the time, its a world cup and Europe has hogged it for a long long time. Granted Europe has better facilities in place but often these events act as a catalyst for infrastructure and economic development.

It wont be long til China gets it.

Its probably not the best place for a tournament, and I think any country hosting the world cup should have football as the most popular sport there - it's held once every 4 years so I'd go for countries where everyone really wants it.

Canada's greatest test will come in overcoming the shockingly lazy assumptions that people have about the depth of knowledge of the game here. This country is built on immigration. Toronto has a tri-weekly Italian language newspaper, scores of multi-lingual television and radio stations. Montreal and Vancouver are equally diverse and the media in Canada routinely cover major soccer action from Europe.

And Golfball, just how good are you in Slavic languages and Cyrillic alphabets? Would you really have been out talking football with locals who don't speak English? Here in Canada, you'd have little problem finding someone nearby to talk the game in whatever language you prefer.

Maybe you underestimate the passion and knowledge of the game in the rest of the world? Football might be a popular sport in the country, but no one will ever convince me there is more passion and knowledge than places like Brazil, England, Italy etc. Which is why I say Canada would put on a good tournament, but why should countries who really care miss out. Doesnt make sense when it's held just once every 4 years, thats part of the reason Qatar was a criticised decision.

Would you be happy for England to host an Ice Hockey world cup ? (im not sure if there even is one but just using it as an example). Why should England host it when no one cares over here, Canada would be a far more deserving country as it is a more popular sport over there.

I thought USA 94 was a great tournament, have some brilliant memories of that. Romario and Bebeto killed it then old Diegos fire dragon celebration.

Western Europe shouldnt have it all the time, its a world cup and Europe has hogged it for a long long time. Granted Europe has better facilities in place but often these events act as a catalyst for infrastructure and economic development.

It wont be long til China gets it.

It was ridiculous. There were games on at midday in bloody Florida in the middle of summer.

And people say American' are insular? Live a little for crying out loud. A World Cup in somewhere like Canada would be great. Just like the USA WC was great. Last thing we need is another tournament in another boring Euro country. There's already been Italy, France and Germany in the last 22 years, wih Russia to come. Some people have a strange interpretation of "World" Cup.

maybe you underestimate the passion and knowledge of the game in the rest of the world? Football might be a popular sport in the country, but no one will ever convince me there is more passion and knowledge than places like brazil, england, italy etc. Which is why i say canada would put on a good tournament, but why should countries who really care miss out. Doesnt make sense when it's held just once every 4 years, thats part of the reason qatar was a criticised decision.

Would you be happy for england to host an ice hockey world cup ? (im not sure if there even is one but just using it as an example). Why should england host it when no one cares over here, canada would be a far more deserving country as it is a more popular sport over there.

walob

Canada should have been joint hosts when the USA had it. They share national leagues after all

At that point they didn't. The MLS had just started and there were no Canadian teams in it. And America doesn't need to share...it's big enough.

Back