• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

'Smart cards' plan to stop benefits being spent on drink

Why try to emulate America, should we not be looking at the likes of Germany for policy ideas, I know where I would was my kids growing up

Land tax and Universal credit part of the way ahead. Taxes on earned income should be standardised.

And completely boning the US corporations for access to our market. That country has had its day and we should now look east.

That's the argument of a man who doesn't interview applicants straight out of state school!

I see very little in the way of an education or any kind of knowing how to behave. My wife was, until very recently, a teacher in a sink estate state school and even she (one of those caring types) would tell you that many of those kids are lost causes and would be better off if they could just join the army or get onto a construction site a few years earlier.

Sounds like backwards Feudalism has officially re-entered the country... If you are someone who has to interview applicants from state school then why don't you just reject them straight off if you are going to hold the prejudices you do?

I was one of those 'lost cause' kids at one point. Was from a broken home with an alcoholic father and all I wanted to do was cause trouble and have a laugh. After a while, and with a bit of encouragement, I ended up improving my grades from predicted E's to C's and improving even more with my A level grades to A's & B's. I then went to university for a year, had to leave because of family issues and now have started working for an insurance firm and am very excited about the prospect of moving up the company.

How dare you right off people as lost causes and suggest they should look to do the sort of jobs that many middle class pansies couldn't do despite all of mummy and daddys riches. Doesn't all this contradict you capitalist beliefs and more or less make you some kind of quasi-fascist?

Tried politics briefly, realised most people are c*nts and gave up.

Or more than likely they realised you're a **** and kicked you out. Thank **** for that as well.

Last edited:
Sounds like backwards Feudalism has officially re-entered the country... If you are someone who has to interview applicants from state school then why don't you just reject them straight off if you are going to hold the prejudices you do?

I was one of those 'lost cause' kids at one point. Was from a broken home with an alcoholic father and all I wanted to do was cause trouble and have a laugh. After a while, and with a bit of encouragement, I ended up improving my grades from predicted E's to C's and improving even more with my A level grades to A's & B's. I then went to university for a year, had to leave because of family issues and now have started working for an insurance firm and am very excited about the prospect of moving up the company.

How dare you right off people as lost causes and suggest they should look to do the sort of jobs that many middle class pansies couldn't do despite all of mummy and daddys riches. Doesn't all this contradict you capitalist beliefs and more or less make you some kind of quasi-fascist?

Or more than likely they realised you're a **** and kicked you out. Thank **** for that as well.

Well said fella. Keep going. Nothing wrong at all with a late starter in life.

We have to employ someone. We take the best we can get, which is rarely much at all.

10/10 for ability to jump in two-footed, unfortunately 0/10 for getting the point.

Seeing as you improved your lot you were clearly not a lost cause - good teachers can see the difference. By definition you are quite clearly not the kind of person I was talking about. Still, don't let that stop your class prejudices getting in the way of your understanding!

The certainly weren't all that keen on me giving my help, but that was more to do with a complete inability to not be honest at any time. Doesn't fit in well at all with politics.

interesting debate

I've been on the dole in the UK and the US

when I left Uni, I was on the dole for 2 years, there was no incentive to work so I didnt and when I was laid off a few years later, I collected housing benefit and couldnt believe how easy it was to do nothing and have an OK standard of living.

After a few years of working in the US, got laid off and here, you only get 6 months unemployment unless the rate is high in which case they extend it. Once your 6 months is up, youre ' done. it made me find gainful employment again.

The only other benefit u get here is food stamps which is means tested and you can only buy certain foods with that, there are ways of buying booze I'm told.
Claiming disability is the big thing here now, but this is a work hard culture, people spit on you if u claim benefits.

interesting debate

I've been on the dole in the UK and the US

when I left Uni, I was on the dole for 2 years, there was no incentive to work so I didnt and when I was laid off a few years later, I collected housing benefit and couldnt believe how easy it was to do nothing and have an OK standard of living.

After a few years of working in the US, got laid off and here, you only get 6 months unemployment unless the rate is high in which case they extend it. Once your 6 months is up, youre ' done. it made me find gainful employment again.

The only other benefit u get here is food stamps which is means tested and you can only buy certain foods with that, there are ways of buying booze I'm told.
Claiming disability is the big thing here now, but this is a work hard culture, people spit on you if u claim benefits.

Of course and looks where that has got America,more and more inequality.

Inequality is such a strange issue to be worried about. If you make everyone better off, but the richest a bit more than the poorest you've increased inequality, but everyone is still better off. Is that such a bad thing?

Conversely, if you make everyone poorer, but the rich more than the poorest you've decreased inequality but the poorest in society are still worse off. Is that good?

Much more important than inequality is social mobility. The gap between the bottom 20% and the top 20% may be large, but the big question for me isn't the size of the gap but how easily one can traverse it, moving from the bottom to the top.

Inequality is such a strange issue to be worried about. If you make everyone better off, but the richest a bit more than the poorest you've increased inequality, but everyone is still better off. Is that such a bad thing?

Conversely, if you make everyone poorer, but the rich more than the poorest you've decreased inequality but the poorest in society are still worse off. Is that good?

Much more important than inequality is social mobility. The gap between the bottom 20% and the top 20% may be large, but the big question for me isn't the size of the gap but how easily one can traverse it, moving from the bottom to the top.

For me soical mobility and inequality are linked. Inequality is not just about income.

For me soical mobility and inequality are linked. Inequality is not just about income.

Inequality may not be just about income, but that's how it is measured. I agree they are linked, but people are too focused on inequality and we rarely hear social mobility mentioned.

We've had a welfare system which has trapped millions on benefits, nothing could be worse for social mobility than creating a society with such strong disincentives for work.

What's inequality got to do with anything?

If the richest person in a country gets richer whilst everyone else stays the same inequality get worse. Yet overall, the situation is better.

What's inequality got to do with anything?

If the richest person in a country gets richer whilst everyone else stays the same inequality get worse. Yet overall, the situation is better.
Ignore that. Hadn't seen the other posts above.

Inequality may not be just about income, but that's how it is measured. I agree they are linked, but people are too focused on inequality and we rarely hear social mobility mentioned.

We've had a welfare system which has trapped millions on benefits, nothing could be worse for social mobility than creating a society with such strong disincentives for work.

We have also had a labour market that has trapped people on low pay.

You can do both of those while on benefits.
Which makes it amazing that so few do. One could be forgiven for thinking that the government had removed all incentive by giving them lots of our money with the freedom to spend it on anything.

So in what way is the labour market trapping people into low pay?

Back