• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

'Smart cards' plan to stop benefits being spent on drink

don't you think they've already tried that

That's difficult to answer accurately, but I would suggest a move towards greater social service powers is a far better policy that creating a blanket policy to solve a minority issue.

The problem with much of "the right" (and I include myself in that on some issues ) is that the rhetoric and policy always focuses on the worst cases and then tries to pass that off as the norm when in fact the majority of benefits claimants are actually decent people.. ... And would probably be even better if they were not vilified.

I am a normal, middle class,average worker. But I have been on JSA within the last 3.5 years, it sucked - but it was also the safety net which I have previously paid for and I'm damn sure I don't want anyone telling me what I can and cannot spend my money on.

Your example about people spending on so called luxuries (still waiting on how anyone justifies what is/isn't a luxury by the way) whilst kids go without is extremist and representative of a small amount of scummy people. That doesn't mean everyone should suffer draconianism. But it does mean there should be a way to tackle the issue - and that is child neglect ( in your example) or people not wanting to work.

A solution might be a middle ground - where child neglect is identified, food vouchers are produced to ensure adequate food levels make it into the house. Although I would hope measures to rehouse children would come before that.

Back