• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sh1t Holes

Re: brick Holes

My family is from Naples (Avellino to be precise). Camorra have a stronghold of the area, shops have to pay protection money to this day and the garbage collection saga is an example of how much power they have. Real shame as the pizza there is some of the best you'll ever find. Ice-cream also is right up there as some of the best. Having said that there are some nice parts and if you like the traditional markets and way of life you can find it there. There are however also some areas the police do not dare to visit so knowing where you are going is a must.

Scara / Spursman - im going to Naples in the next few months.
Any chance of a heads up as what to avoid?!

I was thinking of taking in a Serie A game, but have decided to try and go to a Fiorentina home game instead

Re: brick Holes

I read all this with interest. I have been to pretty much most places around England, certainly the cities and towns, for business and otherwise. So I'd like to think that I am in a good place to judge, too.

Sure its a lot about personal perception and opinion. But how Bath and Edinburgh can be lumped as brick holes is pretty much breaking the Trades Description Act in my book! Just how is that? Both absolute gems.

Doncaster? Mostly a nice place. A Saturday nite out in Donny town centre? You have not lived until...... etc etc. A great time. The people are very friendly.

Liverpool? Just been. Had a brilliant time. Blown over at how much it is coming up in the world. Which I assume means money is being put into it.

Stockport?? Blackpool?? Jeez.... maybe they aren't Mayfair, but they are not that bad. Blackpool is a great place for a night out. Daren't go out in the evening? Someone the wife knows said the same about Margate. Dear me. Are there some real shrinking violets around?

Some of this shows a supposed class distinction showing through, IMHO.

There are a few places mentioned which I couldn't disagree with with. Stoke isn't the nicest of places. Birmingham is pretty 'orrible. Luton?? Piraeus; we just drove through from the airport so didn't see much. Looked grim though.

However, some have not been mentioned, which really should have been.

If you really want to go to a brickhole of the worst order, close to the pinnacle, visit Rotherham. Best re-arranged by the Royal Air Force. Barnsley. Mansfield. Hartlepool aren't wonderful too. Middlesborough.

But.... if you really want the worst hell-hole in my experience. Grimethorpe. Near Barnsley. I did a town centre CCTV survey there in 1998 (i.e. well after the Miners Strike) and looked around the centre, and it was like Beirut. Derelict, burnt out, but some lived in. I nearly cried. That anyone could be living there, and worse still, bringing up kids made you sick and ashamed. But of course you have to scratch beneath the surface to find out why. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimethorpe

Re: **** Holes

Yes

Yes

Do you own a "going out" tracksuit?
;)

What a funny silly little man you are.

In response to your question as to whether I have a 'going out' tracksuit', I'll ask you; do you have a life? You strike me as a sad, snobbish, silly little man who really needs to grow up and get some life experience.

Wow, that's a really old post you've dragged up! Seeing as you asked so nicely though, I'll answer for you ;)

Funny? I have my moments. Silly? When the mood takes me. Little? I'm pretty sure I've never been accused of that before - especially since I started carrying a stone or so more than I should be.

In response to your question as to whether I have a 'going out' tracksuit', I'll ask you; do you have a life? You strike me as a sad, snobbish, silly little man who really needs to grow up and get some life experience.

Answering a question with another is incredibly poor form. I'll answer yours again, but I really am intrigued to hear your answer.

Do I have a life? I suppose that depends on what you call a life. I resist entropy, so by the most basic, accurate definition yes, I do.

If you mean a social life (I suspect you do - this is hardly the place for philosophical physics) then I suppose so. I spend a fair amount of time in restaurants (no tracksuits allowed - the ones where the food doesn't come in boxes), a good chunk of time in bars (again, no tracksuits!), I go to the theatre fairly often, I see the world (the nice bits anyway), the rest of my time is taken up by my son or work.

In response to the second part of your supposition, I experience sadness from time to time - I'm not sure if it's more or less than most though. I had to go to Bournemouth recently, that made me sad.

Snobbish? Unashamedly so. The demise of the class system in this country is what has made it go to sh1t. Maybe a bit more aspiration and a little less Greggs and Chichester residents would have less to be snobby about.

We've done the silly/little bit above.

I'd actually like to do a little less growing up - it all seems to happen far too quickly these days. Still I guess it beats the alternative! As for life experience I've had enough of what I suspect you mean by experience. I've seen the bits of the world where I'll never want to live plenty enough to decide I'll never want to live in them.

I think the 10 worst place in the world must be in Britain. In all the countries mentioned by the Economist the vast majority of the population have had little or no education and are governed by depots who place their citizen at the bottom of the list for everything. We have had the benefit of free education and health care and generally liberal governments and relative wealth, and we manage to produce the towns you have all mentioned.

Does that mean you do have a "going out tracksuit"?

article-2297704-18DD0F20000005DC-186_306x540.jpg

Liked the comments on Naples earlier in the thread. I went there on a rugby trip, two days in Naples, two in Rome. When we arrived there was rubbish in the streets 15 feet high, as the cab drove up to our hotel, by the railway station, the rubbish there was on fire. I thought I had entered a parallel universe. Without doubt, Naples is the closest I have seen to a third world city in first world Europe. The place is a bizarre mix of poverty and corruption, clearly controlled by the Mafia, there is massive Police presence but absolutely no Police control. In the short walk from our hotel to the Station i was offered about 20 digital cameras, i pads, i pods, laptops, all for ridiculous money. Having said that I absolutely loved Naples. The people are so friendly and have a party attitude. The bars are exciting and full and Naples is a must visit city. I did not once feel in any danger at all.

Liked the comments on Naples earlier in the thread. I went there on a rugby trip, two days in Naples, two in Rome. When we arrived there was rubbish in the streets 15 feet high, as the cab drove up to our hotel, by the railway station, the rubbish there was on fire. I thought I had entered a parallel universe. Without doubt, Naples is the closest I have seen to a third world city in first world Europe. The place is a bizarre mix of poverty and corruption, clearly controlled by the Mafia, there is massive Police presence but absolutely no Police control. In the short walk from our hotel to the Station i was offered about 20 digital cameras, i pads, i pods, laptops, all for ridiculous money. Having said that I absolutely loved Naples. The people are so friendly and have a party attitude. The bars are exciting and full and Naples is a must visit city. I did not once feel in any danger at all.

What are the prossies like? i hear they have a lot of african immigrant ones there that do literally anything, you can **** in their mouth for 10 euro then they **** you in the **** with a carrot before making soup with it.

What are the prossies like? i hear they have a lot of african immigrant ones there that do literally anything, you can **** in their mouth for 10 euro then they **** you in the **** with a carrot before making soup with it.

I will leave that to you to find out for yourself. Never had the need to use a prossie but if you can't pull I suppose they offer a service.

It may not have been an unalloyed critical triumph, but Liverpool's year as European capital of culture earned the city bumper visitor numbers and a multimillion-pound boost to its economy, academics have found.

A five-year research programme published today analysed the social, economic and cultural impact of the 2008 title and found that the festival year saw 9.7m visitors to the city, an increase of 34%, and generated £753.8m for the economy.

Media coverage of Liverpool's cultural attractions doubled and for the first time in decades, positive stories outweighed negative ones focusing on social issues.

It found 85% of Liverpool residents agreed that it was a better place to live than before.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2010/mar/11/liverpool-profited-from-being-culture-capital

Back