• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

Neither had Pelligrini before City. He had won nothing as a manager IIRC

And people say we don't have the experience but forget that we have Toby, Jan, Christian, Hugo, Dembel and I think Cahldi who all won French or Dutch leagues with big sides and huge pressure I'd say (except demebel and Chadli at AZ and Twente respectively)

Pellegrini had won titles in South America and had managed Villareal to hold their nerve and qualify for the Champions League a few times.

It's also different having won the league as a player versus manager. Sure it obviously helps to have experienced a title race, but looking after yourself is one thing, it's something completely different to managing a squad - keeping them focused, keeping them calm under pressure, managing their fitness towards the end of the season especially with cup runs to consider...

I said in another post the other day that Poch had still not yet won a truly meaningful game for us - yesterday was certainly the first. But now the true test is how he manages the squad's mental and physical fitness over the next three months.

I agree with your comments @SUIYHA about winning big games but titles are won by beating the brick teams not neccesarily the big teams. You need a few wins against the teams around you as their 6 pointers but you need to beat the lesser sides

Arsenal have been flat track bullies for a while and beat the poo teams regularly. They haven't won the league because they have struggled against the good sides. City are struggling at the moment with that and it's costing them so far (6 points are not insurmountable).

The key for me yesterday was the effort man for man. We had 4 players in the first half who had ran more than any city counterpart. We ran over a KM a man more than them. We had rose fling himself to block the ball body first. We had Hugo take a hit to clear his lines. Everything was effort and commitment

If you can work that hard consistently and have genuine talent like we have you will always do well. Enough to win the league... We will see, but in a season of so called underperformance we have performed at a very high level consistently

I agree with Bedford

Chelsea proved my own theory last season that you can lose the big games and cruise to the title by beating all you should beat.

You only play the big teams twice, so in our case, we have had a great season, but had we beat Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Leics at home yesterdays result wouldnt have mattered in my opinion

What is i bit of a worry, is that of our remaining 12 fixtures, we only picked up 18 points in the first half of the season. Leicester on the other hand, picked up 32, Arsenal 29 and City 23. I think we need at least 25-27 to be in with a shout, probably more, with 3 of those being vs Arsenal.

Last edited:
What is i bit of a worry, is that of our remaining 12 fixtures, we only picked up 18 points in the first half of the season. Leicester on the other hand, picked up 32, Arsenal 29 and City 23. I think we need at least 25-27 to be in with a shout, probably more, with 3 of those being vs Arsenal.

But most of them were early or were actually tricky away games when you look at the dropped points

United away was a lunch lucky win for them
Stoke at home we through it away with a big switch off which we haven't done since
West brom away the week after their best result and were on a high
Liverpool for klopps first game
Chelsea at home with Mourinho clinging on by playing no forwards
Swansea away where they got two Hal's and only and one shot on target ...

I don't necessarily think these will suddenly become wins in the reverse fixture but we're playing better now, we are more clinical and were playing for a different prize at this point of the season

Point is, we have to correct those "errors" AND keep up the momentum in the other games. It's doable, but it's certainly not going to be easy, especially with us still being in the FA and EL, hopefully for quit a bit longer in at least 1 of them.

Point is, we have to correct those "errors" AND keep up the momentum in the other games. It's doable, but it's certainly not going to be easy, especially with us still being in the FA and EL, hopefully for quit a bit longer in at least 1 of them.

If we deserve to win the league, we will win the games we need to win. If we struggle to make it up in those games where we need more of a swing from the first half of the season, the title was never going to be on anyway because we won't have been a good enough side.

We're in a great position now for the CL which would have been a great achievement at the start of the year. We have the best team spirit and we have been the most consistent team in the league in terms of performances. For all our potential problems and slip ups, the other teams all have their weaknesses too. But the aforementioned team spirit and consistency is something they can't lay them too as much as we can, and if anything those are the factors that have been the hallmark of champions over the years.

I actually think we are in with a great shout of the title. We need some luck, we need to keep doing what we have done, but I think we can do it. Regardless, given the qualities we have displayed over and above our rivals all season, to not get the CL now would be a big shock for me.

We could win anywhere (see yesterday and the Emirates where we were better), and also can lose to anyone (see Saudi Sportswashing Machine home). Look at the recent away game v Watford and Palace. Won both, but Watford were a centimetre or two from winning, and Palace smashed the bar twice.
Point is all we can say right now is we have a chance to win anywhere, and shouldn't fear anyone but each game has its own variables and permutations which make it impossible to predict.

The mentality is strong. The physical conditioning is strong. The momentum is there. It's very much on right now.

So if we finish second it would be to ...

Leceister (having lost to them twice ... regrets about those game) or ...
Emirates Marketing Project (having beaten them twice ... regrets about other games) or ...
Arsenal (yet again ... would have to be the worst feeling).

Let's not finish second.

I'm not sure our heavy schedule is the problem people think. Winning begets winning, losing begets losing, so I don't want to lightening the load. In contrast Leicester have two weeks to think about the 95th minute of their last game and the two point gap. We also have the youngest team in the league and good backups in nearly every position.

I think Arsenal are the favourites now (specially with Sanchez and Welbeck back) and Leicester will finally slip back a little. I wouldn't write off City, yet, as they finally have their key players all fit again (Hart, Kompany, Toure, Silva, Aguero) and have the capability to put on a very strong finish (or give up entirely).

Anyway, we're not where I thought we'd be at the end of August ... or, come to think about it, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec or Jan.

i remember 20 odd years ago Saudi Sportswashing Machine were 12 points clear at around this time and didnt win the league, forget about analysing future matches, if it was easy as that, leicester would be 17th and not 1st. Leicester have such a massive advantage in being able to concentrate completely on the league, that will be very telling come the last few weeks when fatigue definitely plays a part.
They also have the massive disadvantage of not being very good at football.

I think Arsenal at home isnt that bad a fixture, I know they are where they are but they are not playing that well.

West Ham away worries me

Arsenal have some very good forward players, and they will win them games.

But they are tinkle poor when they haven't got the ball. It looks like they never work on that part of the game. They think Coquelin is all they need.

Koshelny is injured and who'd have Mertersacker in their team?

Arsenal have some very good forward players, and they will win them games.

But they are tinkle poor when they haven't got the ball. It looks like they never work on that part of the game. They think Coquelin is all they need.

Koshelny is injured and who'd have Mertersacker in their team?

Metro is saying Koshelny is back for the weekend.. United isn't until next weekend either so theoretically he'll be back by then.

Was he taken off with a dead leg? can't be too serious?

I like that we are ten points above 5th, eleven points above if you take our goal difference to be worth an extra point. There are only 12 games to go. Manchester United, or another top 4 challenger would have to average almost a point more than us in each of the remains fixtures, on average, to overtake us. That means that their form will have to be 2 points per game, on average, to stand any chance of overtaking us. Doesn't really seem likely of any of the contenders, does it?!

So if we finish second it would be to ...

Leceister (having lost to them twice ... regrets about those game) or ...
Emirates Marketing Project (having beaten them twice ... regrets about other games) or ...
Arsenal (yet again ... would have to be the worst feeling).

Let's not finish second.
We lost to Leicester only once. Away we played 1:1.
But defenitely let's not finish second :)

I like that we are ten points above 5th, eleven points above if you take our goal difference to be worth an extra point. There are only 12 games to go. Manchester United, or another top 4 challenger would have to average almost a point more than us in each of the remains fixtures, on average, to overtake us. That means that their form will have to be 2 points per game, on average, to stand any chance of overtaking us. Doesn't really seem likely of any of the contenders, does it?!

Currently they believe you need to take 1.1 points a game to catch someone

So if someone is 1 point ahead you need one game for example

That was on a radio podcast earlier

So for us to be caught they need 11 games better than us

Back