• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious relegation fears

So basically, we need to cheer on Real tonight so that fourth is guaranteed CL next year and also make Emirates Marketing Project want to beat Arsenal?
I really wanted City to go through tonight. It's one of the few "big" teams I have no dislike for and it would have been hilarious if they finished 5th and the Scum 4th and had to settle for Europa (assuming the scousers won the EL too). Wouldn't have hurt the coefficient either, although I doubt we'll be finishing below 3rd anytime soon. :cool:

Our points totals since 2009-10 have been 70, 62, 69, 72, 69, 64 and now 70 plus. We've been getting close to 70 points a season for a while. In some ways this season is just a continuation of our improvement from the early PL period. You could say we have got slightly better, while all the usual suspects have got worse (the Sky fall).

I'm not saying we haven't improved, though. The basic business of football - goals scored and conceded - shows we have improved offensively and defensively, and most neutrals say we have done it in style, despite having the youngest side in the league. This improvement means we have bucked the trend towards more parity, which has seen others drawn back into the pack. This season is unusual in the all the richer clubs have struggled at the same time, but its been part of a pattern. Liverpool have struggled for most of the period we have been near 70 points. Chelsea have missed out on the top four a couple of times, as have United. The days of the Sky4 are long over.

Not really sure where I am going with this. I suppose I just have a confused mix of optimism and realism about the season and wonder if we have missed the chance of our lifetimes or are on the brink.

I read this morning that our previous best number of defeats in a PL season was 8 and of course this year so far we are on 4, that stat on its own would be a hell of an improvement.

Hoping City come out with a point to prove against the scum on the weekend and determined to get another shot at the CL next year.

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 4m4 minutes ago
Currently, we're sorting who will finish higher, Tottenham or Arsenal. Tune into #SSNHQ for @SkySports Now analysis
Chrr8xyUYAAJ90X.jpg

No need to play the last 2 games Sky are deciding it for us.

Our points totals since 2009-10 have been 70, 62, 69, 72, 69, 64 and now 70 plus. We've been getting close to 70 points a season for a while. In some ways this season is just a continuation of our improvement from the early PL period. You could say we have got slightly better, while all the usual suspects have got worse (the Sky fall).

I'm not saying we haven't improved, though. The basic business of football - goals scored and conceded - shows we have improved offensively and defensively, and most neutrals say we have done it in style, despite having the youngest side in the league. This improvement means we have bucked the trend towards more parity, which has seen others drawn back into the pack. This season is unusual in the all the richer clubs have struggled at the same time, but its been part of a pattern. Liverpool have struggled for most of the period we have been near 70 points. Chelsea have missed out on the top four a couple of times, as have United. The days of the Sky4 are long over.

Not really sure where I am going with this. I suppose I just have a confused mix of optimism and realism about the season and wonder if we have missed the chance of our lifetimes or are on the brink.

Where we end up in the table isn't always up to us. My targets before the season begins are usually a number of points, I think it was 70 this season. It shows progress and it will see you in the mix for top 4. Next season I think 76, 2 ppg, should be an attainable target. Whatever happens around us.

I really wanted City to go through tonight. It's one of the few "big" teams I have no dislike for and it would have been hilarious if they finished 5th and the Scum 4th and had to settle for Europa (assuming the scousers won the EL too). Wouldn't have hurt the coefficient either, although I doubt we'll be finishing below 3rd anytime soon. :cool:

Problem is. I doubt that would have happened. Playing Villa at home last match, almost guarantees them 70pts. meaning neither United or West Ham could have finished above them.

We could though have seen Ars 3rd, United or WHU 4th and City 5th , then have City & Liverpool win both Euro Cups to deny the 4th place team

I read this morning that our previous best number of defeats in a PL season was 8 and of course this year so far we are on 4, that stat on its own would be a hell of an improvement.

Hoping City come out with a point to prove against the scum on the weekend and determined to get another shot at the CL next year.

They really have to. Failure to win on Sunday, and one of United or West Ham will probably pip them to 4th. They really need to win v Arsenal to have it in their own hands on the last day

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 4m4 minutes ago
Currently, we're sorting who will finish higher, Tottenham or Arsenal. Tune into #SSNHQ for @SkySports Now analysis
Chrr8xyUYAAJ90X.jpg

No need to play the last 2 games Sky are deciding it for us.

It has been said before. Arsenal will walk through Villa last match putting them on 70pts and say +31 GD , so basically to finish above them our final 2 results just need to match their game at Etihad.

Easier said than done I suppose, but if you had offered this scenario on 31st March and I would have snapped it up.

Back