• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Season 2012-13 / 2011-12 Comparison Thread

Assuming we're healthy - a big ask -the next five games are all winnable. After that, a draw at Liverpool would be acceptable and a home win over Fulham would be expected.

Then crunch time comes. Swansea away. Everton home. Chelsea away. ManCity home. All this while Arsenal play four near bankers. My Arse-loving friends all point to this stretch as the key to a top-4 finish.

And nowhere in that stretch do I see us playing anyone's history. It's all about here and now.

"Demoralizing" isn't quite the word - what I mean is more that he doesn't play to their strengths, so most of them can't show their best form outside the one or two (Ben Arfa) who get to do whatever they want. Like all under-fire managers, he's been getting public backing from his players, but if you look at the Saudi Sportswashing Machine forums, there's a lot of discussion of how his long ball tactics really work at odds with the football that players like Cabaye prefer to play (Saudi Sportswashing Machine are in the top three long ballers this season iirc). That's been apparent for a while - the results they had last season, especially towards the end, were born out of the form-inertia and cohesion of a very consistent first XI (think Aston Villa under O'Neill) and masked some pretty iffy performances.

Pardew also comes out with some really dour, self-excusing stuff in the media. He keeps talking about how his squad players aren't good enough so they're the reason for Saudi Sportswashing Machine's poor form - 'we need our first teamers back, then we'll start picking up wins again', 'we need players or we'll get relegated'. That is not exactly encouraging stuff to hear for any youngsters or anyone outside Pardew's first string. Why should a squad player fight for a place when his own manager not only has no confidence in him, but moans to everyone how crap he is?

You can contrast that attitude to Laudrup, who's not in a relegation fight but also has a thin squad. Laudrup said that he was excited by the challenge of winning a cup, regardless of injuries. I don't doubt that Saudi Sportswashing Machine's injuries genuinely have affected their season greatly or that they do need new players, but I don't think slamming your own players in the media to save yourself is either wise or honorable.

Excellent (emboldened) points. I repeat myself but there are two types of managers. Winners and losers. It really is as simple as that.
And what they say is very important.

Norwich away (won 2-0)
WBA away (won 3-1)
Saudi Sportswashing Machine home (won 5-0)
West Ham (Wolves) away (won 2-0)

Three out of our next 4 away. AVB made mention of the fact that we had 3 away fixtures in a row (including FA Cup) but this season I actually feel better about away games than home games.

11 Chelsea
10 West Ham
9 Swansea
5 West Brom
4 Liverpool
3 Tottenham, Stoke, Sunderland, Reading
2 Manchester United
-1 Emirates Marketing Project
-2 Everton
-3 Norwich, Southampton
-6 Fulham, Aston Villa, QPR
-7 Wigan
-12 Arsenal
-19 Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Compared to this stage last season:

11 Everton
8 West Brom
6 West Ham
5 Southampton
4 Manchester United, Swansea, Wigan
3 Chelsea
1 Fulham
0 Reading, Stoke
-2 Arsenal
-4 Liverpool, Sunderland
-5 Emirates Marketing Project, Norwich, QPR
-8 Tottenham, Aston Villa
-18 Saudi Sportswashing Machine

now is where it starts to get interesting - we've got a few big games coming up and last season we were just beginning to implode.

WBA away (won 3-1)
Arsenal home (won 2-1)

Our next 4 fixtures. We are 3 points better than equivalent fixtures last season.

Our last 24 matches last season 10-8-6 38 points 35-23

This season 12-6-6 42 points 41-29

Now is where it starts to get interesting - we've got a few big games coming up and last season we were just beginning to implode.

Absolutely. Are we generically incapable or do we have the right manager for the job?

Edit: Game 25 last term was Saudi Sportswashing Machine home 5-0 win. Game 26 was Arsenal A (2-5) and that was the begiining of the drop.

Last edited:
For me it's not about the stats, it's about the quality we see on the pitch. This season we haven't come close to the quality we saw last season.
The stats just back that up, more goals conceded, less goals scored, less points won.

The performances during the last 12 games last season were so disappointing, but they were no worse than we've had to watch all this season.

^ id say that is the case for every team from last seasons top 6, except maybe Chelsea who are probably on a level with last season. do you think Arsenal fans are looking at their performances and thinking they have it in them to go on a run like last year, without RvP? id say they are more relying on the Spurs of old still being here and crumbling away

from our perspective Im not surprised to have seen a drop in peak performance, what with the change in management and loss of vital players - inconsistency beckoned this season as far as i was concerned. as someone else has pointed out (skyfarer i believe) we have been missing our top 5 passers (statistically) from last season, either injured or sold - that particular point probably highlights the change we are going through as well as any other. Hopefully the signing of Holtby will be a massive boost - he seems to be the style of player to help with our fluidity and creativity - aspects of our play which needed improving.

12 West Ham
8 Chelsea, Swansea
6 Reading
5 Liverpool, West Brom
3 Tottenham, Stoke
2 Manchester United
0 Sunderland
-2 Everton
-3 Emirates Marketing Project, Southampton
-5 QPR, Norwich
-6 Aston Villa, Fulham
-7 Wigan
-12 Arsenal
-14 Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Compared to the same number of games played:

9 Everton, West Ham
5 West Brom
4 Manchester United, Swansea
3 Chelsea, Reading, Southampton
2 Wigan
0 Stoke
-2 Arsenal, Fulham
-3 Liverpool
-4 QPR, Sunderland
-7 Aston Villa, Norwich, Emirates Marketing Project
-8 Tottenham
-15 Saudi Sportswashing Machine

3 Tottenham, Stoke
2 Manchester United
0 Sunderland
-Compared to the same number of games played:

4 Manchester United, Swansea
3 Chelsea, Reading, Southampton
2 Wigan
0 Stoke

We put paid to the top stat for United but both sets of stats for United are surprisingly low.

8 Chelsea
3 Tottenham
-12 Arsenal

Compared to the same number of games played:

3 Chelsea
-2 Arsenal
-8 Tottenham

Sorry to be thick Jordinho, what am I looking at here - sorry I didn't read the whole thread.

Points gained this year, compared to the same games against the same teams last year?
And what is the second one where we are so woeful?

Sorry to be thick Jordinho, what am I looking at here - sorry I didn't read the whole thread.

Points gained this year, compared to the same games against the same teams last year?
And what is the second one where we are so woeful?

First one is points gained/lost compared to the results from the same fixtures last season. Second is for how the table looked after 25 games. Game 26 was the first in our 6 points from 9 games run.

Arsenal home (won 2-1)
Liverpool away (draw 0-0)

Our next 4 fixtures. We are 3 points better than equivalent fixtures last season.

Our last 25 matches last season 10-8-7 38 points 38-25

This season 13-6-6 45 points 42-29

First one is points gained/lost compared to the results from the same fixtures last season. Second is for how the table looked after 25 games. Game 26 was the first in our 6 points from 9 games run.

Crikey, so the Arse are 12 points worse off when looking at teams, but the table shows them as only 2 points off after 25 games
Whereas we are 3 points better off in terms of teams played, but 8 points worse off after 25 games. Last year we went into freefall at this point with 6 pts from 9 games.
So if we can get 6+8 = 14 points from 9 games we'll be in better shape.

Arsenal home (won 2-1)
Liverpool away (draw 0-0)

I would guess we would most likely be worse off than the equivalent fixtures last season after these 4 games.

Our next 4 games are fudging tough, and could decide our season!

8 points would be a fantastic return, but i cant even see us getting that. Predicting a win against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, west ham draw, arsenal draw, and liverpool loss...

estimatedpointsgraph25.png

Estimated number of points using last year's results for the remainder of the season.

Back