• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

Oh come on! They're not in Europe, they don't pay as high wages as us (I'm going by wage costs in annual report), and they've not finished in the top 6 in how long?

It doesn't really matter. S'oton have seen many of their players head to United, Liverpool and Arsenal in the past two seasons, and will undoubtedly continue to see that exodus in the future. That differentiates them from us: we're also a stepping stone club, but we're veeeery particular about selling to other clubs in England, and would much prefer that our players go abroad instead, if they are set on going.

An objective view would conclude that a player joining S'oton has more options for future advancement (should he improve his profile) than he would have should he join Spurs instead.

Just for clarification - are you suggesting I'm perhaps a little early in writing off the squad?
If so, you do have a point, I may be wrong.

But I'm not usually with these things. I wasnt with the clusterfudgeage of Ramos and I was bang on when I said AVB would fail inside 18 months.
I'm fairly new here but I always said Pochettino is just a poor mans AVB and would be gone by this Christmas.
As far as I can see, this is on it's way to happening. We'll struggle to score goals and thus get results and we'll be under immense pressure.

Of course Son and N'Jie may come in and be amazing.

But as neither have kicked a premiership football and after the massive massive let down of Soldado and Lamela, I wont get caught up in that again.

So the let down of Soldado and Lamella outweigh the success of Bale, VdV, Modric, Berbatov? Of course it does cos you want to tinkle on everyone's parade today and probably wil be delighted to be vindicated come Christmas and Pochettino is sacked.

Wow. Given that you have no actual insight into club dealings or the quality of the signings this is all somewhat OTT drama queen/attention seeking flimflam to be honest

I just read his comments regarding the whole Berahino situo. Says we unsettled him etc, he's the idiot that made it all public. Maybe I take my respect comment back.

Hardly, SB would have known about our interest regardless of Pearce going public or not. I'm sure we were talking to his agent behind the scenes etc.

It doesn't really matter. S'oton have seen many of their players head to United, Liverpool and Ar5ena1 in the past two seasons, and will undoubtedly continue to see that exodus in the future. That differentiates them from us: we're also a stepping stone club, but we're veeeery particular about selling to other clubs in England, and would much prefer that our players go abroad instead, if they are set on going.

An objective view would conclude that a player joining S'oton has more options for future advancement (should he improve his profile) than he would have should he join Spurs instead.

I'm sorry but I disagree until I see us both go for a player and they choose Southampton over us.

Le Tissier? :p

Ha! As good a player as he was, he is massively small time. He could have been immense but chose to be a big fish in a small pond rather than a big star that his talent deserved.

It will be interesting to see what happens from now on. It is obvious they have a real problem with us. When we get CL they will be powerless but to sell to us.

Ha! As good a player as he was, he is massively small time. He could have been immense but chose to be a big fish in a small pond rather than a big star that his talent deserved.

It will be interesting to see what happens from now on. It is obvious they have a real problem with us. When we get CL they will be powerless but to sell to us.

You know, I'd be the happiest man in the world if, ten years from now, United fans were grumbling about Kane in a similar manner. :D

i think not getting Berahino might bite us more than we know.

Firstly..we only have one striker
Secondly..we don't have Berahino
Thirdly..after the fuss Peace made, do you think many clubs will want to do business with us?
Fourth..how will our club look to our better players? We look like we don't have any ambition. We wait far too late to get serious about any bids & then mess about with the bids. So, we're hardly looking to improve our lot as a club, at least not in the right way.
Fifth..I half expect some sort of sanction against the club if Peace makes a big fuss.

We will probably never know the truth about this but surely at some point we got a nod that they were willing to sell for a price and then it seemingly changed.Not sure why we bothered to bid today when the answer was clearly no unless we came up with a super bid.The tweet was stupid and ill advised or about 5 hours too late.Was he Levyed by Peace.??

@El Guepardo -

First point - fully agreed.
Second point - again, fully agreed.
Third point - won't really change our position, I think.
Fourth point - we're likely to lose Verts and Lloris next summer anyway, possibly Eriksen too. Again, doesn't change much in that regard. The time when we coudl bank on our ambition and (at the time) recent CL exploits is long gone - we are now mid-table, and don't care who knows it.
Fifth point - a sanction for making bids?

I don't know, this Peace guy comes across as a bit of an idiot, in my opinion. He goes on record as saying Spurs were trying to unsettle one of their players with ill "antics", yet it was he who went public with our bids. You are allowed to bid for a player, as far as I know. Peace made the mess himself, he was the one who turned it into a circus. He could've just rejected our bids and not have said anything.

There was no tapping up. We were in contact with WBA about him 4 months ago apparently. They obviously gave us the come on and then Peace became a taco about it after changing his mind.

it doesn't effect how we do business or how we are perceived. Levy will offer his idea of worth, the club will either take it or not. We won't pay over the odds inflated prices just because some Midlands Arthur Daley thinks he can milk us and we will miss out on some gems and will avoid some flops. Life will go on and GG will be split by those who think this signifies approaching Armageddon, those who think Levy is a GHod and those who reckon it is just business as usual and roll on Saturday.

It doesn't really matter. S'oton have seen many of their players head to United, Liverpool and Ar5ena1 in the past two seasons, and will undoubtedly continue to see that exodus in the future.
United are the undisputed kings of that group. That's the minimum level our top players move to.

As stepping stones go we're a far better one than SCBC

United are the undisputed kings of that group. That's the minimum level our top players move to.

As stepping stones go we're a far better one than SCBC

Right now they're at the level just below us, but they'll fall away again soon enough.

This was posted about Everton on RAWK. Crazy, I know, but it makes a lot of sense:

Firstly, in terms of their actual revenue, you can get the annual reports on line for the last few years, they make interesting reading (just google it - the swiss ramble blog spot also does good analysis on their accounts). Essentially the picture they show is a team earning about 75% of its income from TV rights. Last year their total revenue was approx. £120m, of which £88-90m came from TV rights. It's a terribly unhealthy balance (by comparison Liverpool earns about 40% of its revenue from broadcasting). It also means that if they did invest in a stadium, it probably wouldn't have the expected income impact they are hoping for (since, as others have noted their commercial operations only account for £10m and their ticket sales for about £20m). Why is that? Well, largely because they are an unsuccessful mid-tier side that hasn't won a cup in years, so no one wants to invest in them.

What that means from an Everton perspective is that their opportunity for expansion is massively limited. Why spend a £150m on a new stadium if the expected return is so paltry? What's the point in chasing commercial opportunities, if the money here is so little? The club is stasis, structurally, moribund and stagnant, but that actually stems from what Everton are truly successful at, which is remaining in the top tier. Let me explain why not getting relegated can actually be bad for a team.

Look at the premiership table. Read the names of the clubs and think about them for a bit. What you have is a handful oif clubs that are huge financial successes; United, city, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs. These are all teams that have significant advantages either in terms of recent trophy success, a large global fanbase, sugar daddies or are based in the rich heartland of London. These clubs have enormous opportunities to rack up the cash from TV, advertising, commercial activities, etc. Take Liverpool as an example, they went to Australia for a pre-season a few years back and played to full houses of Liverpool fans in 90,000 seater stadiums. Those handful of pre-season games alone were worth millions to the club.

The vast bulk of the rest of the teams in the premiership are yo-yo sides that come up and go back down again routinely. Leiceste, Palace, Swansea, Norwich, West Ham, Watford, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Stoke, Southampton, Sunderland, West Brom are all repeat offenders that have been relegated from and promoted back to the premiership in the last decade (Bournemouth are also the newbies that are looking to get into yo-yoing). Only Everton and Villa have cobnsistently remained in the premiership and its no conicidence that they struggle because of this.

When a team is relegated it's a shock to the system, it forces them to restructure like crazy, as expensive players and management teams go out the window. Some never recover from this (Leeds, Coventry) others use it as an opportunity to revitalise the club (like Southampton for example). Of course, it helps that they already have the natural advantages that got them to the PL in the first place. One of the key things it does for a club is it forces them to streamline their operating costs.

Everton and Villa can't do this. For years now they have been unable to compete with the big boys but have been forced to pay PL wages and prices to players just to stay in the division. All of their spending goes on developing players for sale, or acquiring players to stay up. They can't improve because it costs too much and their is no incentive to improve incrementally because the top tier sides just keep getting further and further away. The only way the club grows is when the TV money goes up. Compare their lot to Southampton, who went down, but kept their support base. They lost the crippling wage bill and were able to restructure as well as develop an academy system that is the envy of the league. They came back up, made a big splash for a small budget - and immediately all their best players were bought as they were plundered by the top sides. They are struggling this season and who is to say they won't go back down? But they will go back down with a heap of cash and the opportunity to develop even more players out of their academy.

I'm not saying Everton would be better off going down, but as of now they need a game changer... either a sugar daddy, or a spell in the Championship. The alternative is to be perpetually squeezed to the margins and eventually to fall down the sinkhole when it becomes no longer bearable. For the last few years they have got by with a cleverly assembled squad of hard-working pros, but now that team is old and needs replacing, but there is no money to do so, the stadium is dilapidated, but their ios no money to fix that either, they have sold everything they can sell (includingt eh raining ground, the catering license etc.) the recent TV deal for them is not a boon, it's a stay of execution. In general their future is bleak, but that's true of all the teams on the margins, they are all being squeezed by the insatiable demands of the top table and the stupid influx of petrodollars that have effectively destroyed the league.

Right now they're at the level just below us, but they'll fall away again soon enough.

This was posted about Everton on RAWK. Crazy, I know, but it makes a lot of sense:

Firstly, in terms of their actual revenue, you can get the annual reports on line for the last few years, they make interesting reading (just google it - the swiss ramble blog spot also does good analysis on their accounts). Essentially the picture they show is a team earning about 75% of its income from TV rights. Last year their total revenue was approx. £120m, of which £88-90m came from TV rights. It's a terribly unhealthy balance (by comparison Liverpool earns about 40% of its revenue from broadcasting). It also means that if they did invest in a stadium, it probably wouldn't have the expected income impact they are hoping for (since, as others have noted their commercial operations only account for £10m and their ticket sales for about £20m). Why is that? Well, largely because they are an unsuccessful mid-tier side that hasn't won a cup in years, so no one wants to invest in them.

What that means from an Everton perspective is that their opportunity for expansion is massively limited. Why spend a £150m on a new stadium if the expected return is so paltry? What's the point in chasing commercial opportunities, if the money here is so little? The club is stasis, structurally, moribund and stagnant, but that actually stems from what Everton are truly successful at, which is remaining in the top tier. Let me explain why not getting relegated can actually be bad for a team.

Look at the premiership table. Read the names of the clubs and think about them for a bit. What you have is a handful oif clubs that are huge financial successes; United, city, Chel53a, Ar5ena1, Liverpool, Spurs. These are all teams that have significant advantages either in terms of recent trophy success, a large global fanbase, sugar daddies or are based in the rich heartland of London. These clubs have enormous opportunities to rack up the cash from TV, advertising, commercial activities, etc. Take Liverpool as an example, they went to Australia for a pre-season a few years back and played to full houses of Liverpool fans in 90,000 seater stadiums. Those handful of pre-season games alone were worth millions to the club.

The vast bulk of the rest of the teams in the premiership are yo-yo sides that come up and go back down again routinely. Leiceste, Palace, Swansea, Norwich, West Ham, Watford, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Stoke, Southampton, Sunderland, West Brom are all repeat offenders that have been relegated from and promoted back to the premiership in the last decade (Bournemouth are also the newbies that are looking to get into yo-yoing). Only Everton and Villa have cobnsistently remained in the premiership and its no conicidence that they struggle because of this.

When a team is relegated it's a shock to the system, it forces them to restructure like crazy, as expensive players and management teams go out the window. Some never recover from this (Leeds, Coventry) others use it as an opportunity to revitalise the club (like Southampton for example). Of course, it helps that they already have the natural advantages that got them to the PL in the first place. One of the key things it does for a club is it forces them to streamline their operating costs.

Everton and Villa can't do this. For years now they have been unable to compete with the big boys but have been forced to pay PL wages and prices to players just to stay in the division. All of their spending goes on developing players for sale, or acquiring players to stay up. They can't improve because it costs too much and their is no incentive to improve incrementally because the top tier sides just keep getting further and further away. The only way the club grows is when the TV money goes up. Compare their lot to Southampton, who went down, but kept their support base. They lost the crippling wage bill and were able to restructure as well as develop an academy system that is the envy of the league. They came back up, made a big splash for a small budget - and immediately all their best players were bought as they were plundered by the top sides. They are struggling this season and who is to say they won't go back down? But they will go back down with a heap of cash and the opportunity to develop even more players out of their academy.

I'm not saying Everton would be better off going down, but as of now they need a game changer... either a sugar daddy, or a spell in the Championship. The alternative is to be perpetually squeezed to the margins and eventually to fall down the sinkhole when it becomes no longer bearable. For the last few years they have got by with a cleverly assembled squad of hard-working pros, but now that team is old and needs replacing, but there is no money to do so, the stadium is dilapidated, but their ios no money to fix that either, they have sold everything they can sell (includingt eh raining ground, the catering license etc.) the recent TV deal for them is not a boon, it's a stay of execution. In general their future is bleak, but that's true of all the teams on the margins, they are all being squeezed by the insatiable demands of the top table and the stupid influx of petrodollars that have effectively destroyed the league.

Can't believe a Liverpool supporter wrote that. There's things in there that I disagree with, but the overall jist is right, especially the last sentence.

Basically any club can make a brief challenge for top six, but staying up there costs money. Everton could do with some restructuring and a clearout. Southampton went down two divisions and came back stronger, but their players are being poached and replaced with journeymen. Villa are making a second attempt after Lambert nearly took them down.

Back