• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

At times today he was reminiscent of the way Modric seemed to be everywhere.

Exactly and its the Modric role which he plays for us and which we've been DESPERATE for since he left. We've had far too many games with a DM like Sandro or Capoue in CM alongside DEmbele and the ball movement just stalls. Mason plays the ball quickly and keep the opposition guessing

What is it about him that you think is average?

I see a player who has excellent control, good positioning, finds space, has good vision, two feet and plays for the team.

I just don't think he has any stand out abiliary, he's not fast, doesn't really take people in (though did great in the wing at one point today), not a crunching tackler, doesn't make that many really creative passes and doesn't seem to have a very good shot. He keeps things ticking over well. But I just want more.

I just don't think he has any stand out abiliary, he's not fast, doesn't really take people in (though did great in the wing at one point today), not a crunching tackler, doesn't make that many really creative passes and doesn't seem to have a very good shot. He keeps things ticking over well. But I just want more.

ConsiderateLimitedFeline.gif

The things he does really well are the type of things a lot of fans might not appreciate. A lot of people didn't rate Modric at first for the same reasons.

I'm a big fan of Mason, if he's fit enough start him Thursday and Sunday, otherwise keep him at home so he's ready for Stoke.

I've said it a lot already but this lad is class and he does very little wrong. He was our best player today and has constantly covered the most ground of any player since he has come in.

Yep he could have been sent off but f£&ok me when was the last time I saw a spurs player have a physical go at the opposition in defence if his team mate. I'd guess it was Graham Roberts in the 80s or possibly gazza

People will always see what they want to see but I look for footballers who can pass, tackle, run and shoot. He does all of that comfortably. He plays with his head up too which means he can and does play quick passes and today we saw him best his man with some dribbling which is something we have t had a centre mid do since.... Modric

I've said it a lot already but this lad is class and he does very little wrong. He was our best player today and has constantly covered the most ground of any player since he has come in.

Yep he could have been sent off but f£&ok me when was the last time I saw a spurs player have a physical go at the opposition in defence if his team mate. I'd guess it was Graham Roberts in the 80s or possibly gazza

People will always see what they want to see but I look for footballers who can pass, tackle, run and shoot. He does all of that comfortably. He plays with his head up too which means he can and does play quick passes and today we saw him best his man with some dribbling which is something we have t had a centre mid do since.... Modric

Pamarot and Chimbonda were always sticking up for little old Lennon. I remember on a few occasions Chimbonda getting into a brawl due to sticking up for a team mate.

I think mason is incredibly overrated. He's playing pretty well, but "pretty well" is probably the maximum of his ability. Same with bentaleb. Mason will barely be a prem standard player when it comes to it. Stambouli dembele would be my starting 2

Yeah because being a top 3 player in every game suggests he isn't cutting it. He is a class player who anyone at spurs will wax lyrical about.

Your attitude sums up many fans thoughts because he isn't a 10m signing that means he is average. He is top draw and will have an England cap before the end of the season.

Everyone at spurs liked Kane for last few years but loved mason. I will go big on him now in saying he will be part of our team for years - the guy is class and I am so happy he finally got a crack.

VdV loved a scuffle IIRC and ofc Davids was never shy. Tbh we lost those characters when AVB took over

mason with many hasty decisions when we became late, but still our only midfielder plays ball forward and to sides. di maria spent years in madrid with his only obvious advantage that he plays ball forward and always looks forward, for me I can be patient with mason as he has a very good potential.

@WhoScored: @Ryan_Mason13: MotM vs Aston Villa, Rating 8.38, Dribbles 5, Tackles 5, Interceptions 3, Clearances 3 @SpursOfficial

@Squawka:
Man of the Match: Ryan Mason.
5 take-ons completed (100%)
2 shots
1 key pass
88% pass accuracy
5 tackles won (100%)
B1dHUs8CEAAyevS.png

Which central/deep playmaker is also a "crunching" tackler? Why is that something it's fair to expect?

He's a very good pass and move player, two footed and effective. He moves really well to get involved, can score and can in deed pick a telling attacking pass more often than most in our team. Defensively he seems to reliably get back into position, doesn't fall asleep and isn't afraid of a tackle. Again, what more is fair to expect from a 23 year old whose primarily a ball player having made 5 PL appearances?

Been very much needed this season after we failed to secure a ball playing midfielder in the transfer market and Bentaleb has been performing a bit worse than last season and now been injured.

I think he shifts the ball around the pitch better than any other player we have in the squad. We haven't had someone like that since Modric and Huddlestone left. That variation in our game is really missing, the ability to switch from left to right or vice versa. Mason is very accomplished in this respect. he has huge potential imo

Which central/deep playmaker is also a "crunching" tackler? Why is that something it's fair to expect?

He's a very good pass and move player, two footed and effective. He moves really well to get involved, can score and can in deed pick a telling attacking pass more often than most in our team. Defensively he seems to reliably get back into position, doesn't fall asleep and isn't afraid of a tackle. Again, what more is fair to expect from a 23 year old whose primarily a ball player having made 5 PL appearances?

Been very much needed this season after we failed to secure a ball playing midfielder in the transfer market and Bentaleb has been performing a bit worse than last season and now been injured.

I Agree

He does what POCH wants two touch football, controls the ball and passes it on. Keep the ball moving get the opposition working non stop. I have been really impressed since he came on against forest.

You can see he cares, he fights for every ball and has ago at the ref when a decision doesn't go our way. My only criticism is he doesn't boss game enough for me (but that will come in time cant expect a 23 year old with so few appearances to boss a game)

I dont want to put pressure on him but we could have a really good player on our hands, England are crying out for a player like him as well.

Which is exactly what we need, IMO. We've lacked this since Modric left, someone who will make us play more fluidly, keep the ball moving, and retain possession. This in turn will give us more time and space to play our game.

You say you want more; I'll argue that a player who keeps us ticking will allow his teammates to do more. That's what we got from Modric - a player whose ability created both space and chances for his teammates. That's a role we've been missing in the team, and something which I think has contributed to how we'de struggled to create chances the past few seasons.

Whether Mason can be our new Modric (obviously he's not as good as Luka now), remains to be seen, but he's certainly impressed me in the last few games. Definitely deserves his starting spot based on yesterday.

Which is exactly what we need, IMO. We've lacked this since Modric left, someone who will make us play more fluidly, keep the ball moving, and retain possession. This in turn will give us more time and space to play our game.

You say you want more; I'll argue that a player who keeps us ticking will allow his teammates to do more. That's what we got from Modric - a player whose ability created both space and chances for his teammates. That's a role we've been missing in the team, and something which I think has contributed to how we'de struggled to create chances the past few seasons.

Whether Mason can be our new Modric (obviously he's not as good as Luka now), remains to be seen, but he's certainly impressed me in the last few games. Definitely deserves his starting spot based on yesterday.

I agree fully. To add to what you're saying I don't think it's really fair to compare Mason to Modric in terms of ability. Modric turned out to be good enough to dominate CL matches between Real Madrid and Bayern Munich and it's unrealistic for us to find someone as good as him any time soon. The type of player he was (and is) is still important though and even if Mason just ends up being "a poor man's Luka" that would still be potentially very important for us.

Until/unless his form drops he should be an automatic starter for us imo.

He was French and we had signed him for 12m, people would be getting excited and talking about how he is a nailed on starter and will be central ton

.... To our team for the next few years.

Because his name is Ryan, people still suggest that whilst he's doing well there are still doubts. I for one think he's great and should be the first name on the team sheet in midfield from now till the end of the season.

He was French and we had signed him for 12m, people would be getting excited and talking about how he is a nailed on starter and will be central ton

Isn't that exactly whats happening now? :rio:

You're not going to get unanimous agreement on players - even our very best players over the years had people who didn't rate them as much as others.

Back