• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

No - he had a great game against soton and then put in a lot of solid and 'composed' performances. Could not run a game and was too safe. I like bentelab but it's clear as day that mason is a better player and option for us at this time.

Mason was averaging a goal a game at youth level and starting out as a forward has definitely helped him now. He has matured, filled out and learnt a new position, but his attacking instincts mean he can impact on a game far more

Carroll is more of the Modric type, but he doesn't seem to be as far along in his development as Mason and Bentaleb.

I loved seeing three home-grown players celebrating our winning goal against Villa. In an age where teams change so quickly it is refreshing to see lads who have a deep connection with the club doing well (even if we played **** and sometimes Townsend is aimless).

I loved seeing three home-grown players celebrating our winning goal against Villa. In an age where teams change so quickly it is refreshing to see lads who have a deep connection with the club doing well (even if we played **** and sometimes Townsend is aimless).

Especially as they were also our three best players on the pitch yesterday \o/

Wasn't Bentaleb being discussed months back as "being similar to Modric"?:-k

If I was to compare Bentaleb to one player the one he reminds me most of is Busquets (minus all the bollox).

Busquets has a great appreciation of the space around him, as do all La Masia graduates to be fair, but he just always seems to have the next move in his head. I see that in Bentaleb too. Nothing over fancy just the right pass at the right time. Future captain I think as well.

Last edited:
If I was to compare Bentaleb to one player the one he reminds me most of is Busquets (minus all the bollox).

yes may be busqutes is a little better in defensive role but they are very similar to each other but don`t forget the fact that we don`t have xavi and inesta:)

Carroll is more of the Modric type, but he doesn't seem to be as far along in his development as Mason and Bentaleb.

He has a bit of something though and broke into our first team not that long ago. I'm not too sure what the next thing Carroll needs in his development is but he's at a crucial point. He needs to add something to his game to kick him on to the next level.

Busquets has a great appreciation of the space around him, as do all La Masia graduates to be fair, but he just always seems to have the next move in his head. I see that in Bentaleb too. Nothing over fancy just the right pass at the right time. Future captain I think as well.

While Busquets is obviously a big shout, I know what you're saying. Gets around the pitch, good short passing, can get a foot in. The one thing about Busquets is absolutely everything is one-touch. He almost seems to see his next pass before he has the ball, so there's no lag between him getting the ball and releasing it or switching fields. Sometimes Bentaleb can dawdle on the ball a little bit, but he's only young and I see no reason why he can't improve on that here.

Would be interesting to see Mason and Bentaleb in the middle together at some point. Neither are pure tacklers, but both can put in tackles and make interceptions. Could be a fantastic, homegrown pairing in a year or two's time.

Just looked and saw Busquets has played 294 league games for Barca, and is only 26. ****in hell

While Busquets is obviously a big shout, I know what you're saying. Gets around the pitch, good short passing, can get a foot in. The one thing about Busquets is absolutely everything is one-touch. He almost seems to see his next pass before he has the ball, so there's no lag between him getting the ball and releasing it or switching fields. Sometimes Bentaleb can dawdle on the ball a little bit, but he's only young and I see no reason why he can't improve on that here.

Would be interesting to see Mason and Bentaleb in the middle together at some point. Neither are pure tacklers, but both can put in tackles and make interceptions. Could be a fantastic, homegrown pairing in a year or two's time.

It is great to have such good prospects coming through the ranks, and I think Carroll might just step it up if his next move is the right one.

Playing Mason and Bentaleb together as a CM pairing might be a bit premature. They still need a minder until they get some more miles under their belt IMO, and that would probably mean a midfield trio and a switch from our current formation.

Tottenham are expected to activate a clause in Ryan Mason’s contract that will keep him at White Hart Lane until the summer of 2018.

The midfielder’s deal expires at the end of next season but contains an option for the club to extend it by two seasons.

Mason’s impressive form this term, in which he has climbed from the status of fringe player to become a first choice for head coach Mauricio Pochettino, means his long-term future is likely to be at Tottenham.

Should Mason continue his impressive displays, there is a strong chance chairman Daniel Levy would consider offering the 23‑year-old improved terms.

Mason is believed to be one of the lowest-paid members of the first‑team squad and Tottenham have demonstrated in the past they are willing to reward young players who prove they can be valuable to the senior side.

Harry Kane signed a new five-year contract at Spurs during the summer after ending the last campaign in impressive style. This season, Kane has nine goals in all competitions and has arguably been the club’s best outfield player.

The early signs are that Mason is following the same path. Kane told Standard Sport: “When I was in the youth team, he was someone I always modelled myself on — an incredible player.

“It’s been great to see him do so well this season and in the games he’s started, he has probably been one of our best players.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-ready-to-reward-ryan-mason-with-a-new-deal-9837791.html

And before that it was Tom Carroll being heralded as "the new Modric"... hopefully third time lucky eh! [-o<

There have been comparisons made with all 3. Unsurprisingly our best midfielder since...Gazza(?) frequently gets compared to our current crop of players. Just like our strikers were compared to Berbatov.

Not sure many have heralded either of those 3 as "the new Modric" in terms of level of ability, if so it's been pretty hyperbolic I'm sure.

Mason is now 23, Carroll is 21 and Bentaleb is still just about 19. A year ago Mason was 22 and on loan at Swindon. Still plenty of time for Carroll and Bentaleb to fulfill their obvious talent.

There have been comparisons made with all 3. Unsurprisingly our best midfielder since...Gazza(?) frequently gets compared to our current crop of players. Just like our strikers were compared to Berbatov.

Not sure many have heralded either of those 3 as "the new Modric" in terms of level of ability, if so it's been pretty hyperbolic I'm sure.

Mason is now 23, Carroll is 21 and Bentaleb is still just about 19. A year ago Mason was 22 and on loan at Swindon. Still plenty of time for Carroll and Bentaleb to fulfill their obvious talent.

It's a good academy that can produce so many PL footballers whether they play for Spurs or not.

Caulker, Livermore, Carroll, Bentaleb, Mason, Townsend, Kane. Not bad. Any more?

Considering how many posts on this forum still criticise Modric' lack of goals / assists / tackles it is somewhat surprising to see him constantly used as the benchmark for our upcoming midfielders!

As you say, those 3 youngsters are still at the start of their careers so hopefully we'll have some managerial stability at the club to allow them the best chance to reach their full potential... fingers crossed one of them can approach the legendary heights of Gazza or Modric [-o<

It's a good academy that can produce so many PL footballers whether they play for Spurs or not.

Caulker, Livermore, Carroll, Bentaleb, Mason, Townsend, Kane. Not bad. Any more?

We've always produced PL players, but usually defenders (Scumball, Carr, Young, Clapham, Kelly, King). Crouch is still playing, but it's good to see players that can actually challenge for a first team spot straight away and in positions that cost a lot more to fill.

B1mCsQ0IcAA5a9A.jpg

Definitely a good sign. Clubs like Barca and Manu that have produced fantastic young players have also produced a host of top flight players. I think it's almost a necessity for a top class academy.

Not entirely sure if Bentaleb should be included with those or more with the "signed when young and further developed" players like Rose. But either way a good thing to do!

We've always produced PL players, but usually defenders (Scumball, Carr, Young, Clapham, Kelly, King). Crouch is still playing, but it's good to see players that can actually challenge for a first team spot straight away and in positions that cost a lot more to fill.

Ignoring Bentaleb from the above group the players listed are within an age group of only 3 years. I don't think our previous PL player/defender production reached that kind of frequency. I think it's at least somewhat likely that another group of players will follow those and we might keep up a similar frequency.

Back