• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

I like Bentaleb but not sure he would be good direct replacement for Dier.
I would like to think that wimmer is getting some training pitch time in that position.

I would like to think that wimmer is getting some training pitch time in that position.

Why Wimmer? What does he have that makes him a good fit for that role?

Bentaleb did really well in our midfield last season when we had either a makeshift right back or Walker way off form, no Alderweireld and an ever changing centre back partnership, a still settling in Davies that was a rather poor cover for Rose overall (he seems much better settled in this season), and way too many games with players ahead of the midfield duo not doing their job. Players that are now largely gone or spending their time on the bench. Bentaleb did that in his first full season at this level, alongside Mason who also had his first full season at this level under a new manager implementing a new system of play.

I would really like to see what Bentaleb would look like given a run in the team the way it currently looks. I think it's a much significantly easier role to play well in than it was last season.

As I remember it when we signed wimmer he was quick and strong but a little naive and rough. So two good attributes as a DM and a chance to learn. Also it would keep
The Prefered partnership at CB together but also give him playing time with them, the chance to build an understanding for when he needs to deputise through injury or suspension . Wimmer would be CB leaving Dier in DM.
It will be interesting to see where Poch fits mason, Bentaleb and mousa. None seem to have concrete positions or roles as yet. Our forward line seems fairly set, same with the back line, the bit in the middle is still forming.

That assumes that he wants a like for like replacement as an understudy.

I have to say he was awful tonight. Too often in a hurry with picking his passes, making the wrong choices, and some really poor ones on top of that.

Why Wimmer? With Fazio seemingly out of favour, we'd be short at CB if he changed position as well. Bentaleb is as close as we've got and with a bit of training could be excellent in that role

I have to say he was awful tonight. Too often in a hurry with picking his passes, making the wrong choices, and some really poor ones on top of that.

Well he certainly didn't put in a performance to get into the team v Chelsea ahead of Dembele that's for sure

Why Wimmer? With Fazio seemingly out of favour, we'd be short at CB if he changed position as well. Bentaleb is as close as we've got and with a bit of training could be excellent in that role
Even shorter in DM if Dier is out. He could still play CB as well.

Another performance confirming everything I think about this player. Bar the odd glimpse he's never looked close to good enough. Really want. And expect him not to be playing for us next season. He has no special abilities whatsoever. Ali and Dier have shown within a few months what having a special biliary can do to a team. Mason isn't even close to being in the same league as those two. Or Dembele. And not even bentaleb who also needs to seriously develop, but at least he has age on his side.

Why do we judge players when it's a mixed team away from a 3000 mile trip

Give him a chance in the UK at least before hanging him out to dry again

He came on on Sunday and was tidy and could have/should have and a goal

I have no doubt he will get sometime on Sunday too and I believe he will do his job well

He isn't going to replac Dier, Dembele or Alli at the moment but he will be needed this season I'm sure

Why do we judge players when it's a mixed team away from a 3000 mile trip

Give him a chance in the UK at least before hanging him out to dry again

He came on on Sunday and was tidy and could have/should have and a goal

I have no doubt he will get sometime on Sunday too and I believe he will do his job well

He isn't going to replac Dier, Dembele or Alli at the moment but he will be needed this season I'm sure

Couldn't agree more with you. I am sure he will be an important player for us.

Another performance confirming everything I think about this player. Bar the odd glimpse he's never looked close to good enough. Really want. And expect him not to be playing for us next season. He has no special abilities whatsoever Ali and Dier have shown within a few months what having a special biliary can do to a team. Mason isn't even close to being in the same league as those two. Or Dembele. And not even bentaleb who also needs to seriously develop, but at least he has age on his side.

Oh dear!

For sure Mason is not the most technically gifted, and sometimes like tonight his passing is found wanting, but here are some of the vital qualities he does bring to the party:
  • an exceptionally high-energy pressing game in support of his colleagues
  • persistently disrupts the flow of the opposition all over the park
  • puts his foot in where it matters
  • has a terrier-like ability to win possession
  • ability to move the ball swiftly forward once in possession
I would say the latter is perhaps his most important asset, essential when counter-attacking or attempting to break down a defence that sits back.

Oh dear!

For sure Mason is not the most technically gifted, and sometimes like tonight his passing is found wanting, but here are some of the vital qualities he does bring to the party:
  • an exceptionally high-energy pressing game in support of his colleagues
  • persistently disrupts the flow of the opposition all over the park
  • puts his foot in where it matters
  • has a terrier-like ability to win possession
  • ability to move the ball swiftly forward once in possession
I would say the latter is perhaps his most important asset, essential when counter-attacking or attempting to break down a defence that sits back.

And an important one to add to your list:
  • Good desire to make forward runs beyond the attack, getting into threatening positions (really only Ali also does this in our squad)

Another performance confirming everything I think about this player. Bar the odd glimpse he's never looked close to good enough. Really want. And expect him not to be playing for us next season. He has no special abilities whatsoever. Ali and Dier have shown within a few months what having a special biliary can do to a team. Mason isn't even close to being in the same league as those two. Or Dembele. And not even bentaleb who also needs to seriously develop, but at least he has age on his side.

Coming back from injury?

Son's given leeway for a couple of rusty performances, but Mason's not allowed that because he's homegrown?

No sure how their ability to produce bile influences their footballing ability myself, but each to their own ;)

Back