• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

Haha, I wouldn't say I'm convinced yet, and it still wouldn't surprise me to see him in the championship in a couple of years. But he looked good against Sunderland so there is hope!! I just don't know how with Dier, Alli, Dembele and Bentaleb he'll get loads of opportunities, plus the fact I think we should sign another defensive midfielder.

Would it surprise you to still see him in the Premier League in a couple of years though? ;)

Alli and Dembele both play in the attacking midfield trio. (Or if you prefer as part of a central trio with Dier and one more central midfielder). And although he almost never plays there for our first team people still claim that a #10 role would be Mason's strongest...

With injuries, Europa League, suspensions and the fact that Pochettino seems to rate Mason very highly I think it's rather likely that he will get plenty of opportunities.

The "fact" that you want us to sign another DM is indistinguishable to your opinion. :p

Unless we can attract a top class DM for an affordable price I would actually be surprised if we signed another DM, particularly in January, but even next summer. Once Pochettino gets a team he likes he doesn't seem fond of making a lot of purchases. And our policy seems to be giving young players a chance to develop, buying players that hinders the development of Dier, Bentaleb, Alli and/or Mason doesn't seem in line with that policy.

I don't think there's any chance we will move for a CM now. Dier and Bentaleb as the deeper one and Mason and Alli as the advanced one, all under 25, is an exceptional quartet. Dier has been as good this season as we would have hoped from a Schniderlin or Kramer. Winks will hopefully start pushing the 4 over the next year or two too.

Amazed you still do not fully appreciate what he brings to the team. Like Alli (who is tbf considerably more talented if a little less dynamic) he wins possession and gets the ball forward swiftly into attackers, both out wide and through the middle. He reminds me a little of Perryman, short on stature but one of those vital cogs that wrests possession with timely interventions all over the park.

Haha, not yet, seen glimpses, but just seems so flat in what he offers compared to the others. He doesn't seem to assist much, I can't see him scoring much, his passing is good at times, but just feels a bit average in the main. If he could be consistent in his ability to match the sunderland game I'd certainly see it.

Would it surprise you to still see him in the Premier League in a couple of years though? ;)

Alli and Dembele both play in the attacking midfield trio. (Or if you prefer as part of a central trio with Dier and one more central midfielder). And although he almost never plays there for our first team people still claim that a #10 role would be Mason's strongest...

With injuries, Europa League, suspensions and the fact that Pochettino seems to rate Mason very highly I think it's rather likely that he will get plenty of opportunities.

The "fact" that you want us to sign another DM is indistinguishable to your opinion. :p

Unless we can attract a top class DM for an affordable price I would actually be surprised if we signed another DM, particularly in January, but even next summer. Once Pochettino gets a team he likes he doesn't seem fond of making a lot of purchases. And our policy seems to be giving young players a chance to develop, buying players that hinders the development of Dier, Bentaleb, Alli and/or Mason doesn't seem in line with that policy.

Ha, no it wouldn't surprise me either.
He'll get game time, injuries will always effect it too, but throw in the DM I want us to buy then it will reduce further, but who knows. I hope we do, Dier has showed that actually it is an important part of the team/system and we can't rely on him and I don't think any of the others (maybe Dembele) can play it effectively. So Dier and another DM along with two more dynamic midfielders would be great. Bentaleb, Alli, Mason.

I don't think there's any chance we will move for a CM now. Dier and Bentaleb as the deeper one and Mason and Alli as the advanced one, all under 25, is an exceptional quartet. Dier has been as good this season as we would have hoped from a Schniderlin or Kramer. Winks will hopefully start pushing the 4 over the next year or two too.

Well we certainly wanted to buy in the summer, after Dier had moved to midfield, so don't know why we wouldn't be after one. And Bentaleb is not a replacement for Dier, I think bentaleb would look even better next to Dier! (though admittedly he didn't against man u)

Haha, not yet, seen glimpses, but just seems so flat in what he offers compared to the others. He doesn't seem to assist much, I can't see him scoring much, his passing is good at times, but just feels a bit average in the main. If he could be consistent in his ability to match the sunderland game I'd certainly see it.

Sounds like the criticism of Modric during most of his time with us. But all he does is win the ball and move it on to another player…

Sounds like the criticism of Modric during most of his time with us. But all he does is win the ball and move it on to another player…

It wasn't my criticism of Modric while he was with us. If mason was literally 25% of the ability of Modric I'd be delighted.

Well we certainly wanted to buy in the summer, after Dier had moved to midfield, so don't know why we wouldn't be after one. And Bentaleb is not a replacement for Dier, I think bentaleb would look even better next to Dier! (though admittedly he didn't against man u)

Did we? All but the foolish knew the Schneiderlin ship had sailed 12 months before. Imbula and McCarthy settled for lesser options. And we didn't firm up interest or get very far with any of Kramer, Bender or Witsel. In fact I think all 6 stories were gonad*s rumours to fill the void because no-one knew Poch's intentions re Dier. I don't think there's any firm indication we were trying for another CM (other than Alli).

Bentaleb showed last season he's very competitive in this league in the deeper of the two slots, and I think that will be his long term position.

It wasn't my criticism of Modric while he was with us. If mason was literally 25% of the ability of Modric I'd be delighted.

I see very little difference between the two. Mason is more aggressive without the ball. Whereas Modric was maybe 10% more consistent with his passing execution. Mason is only now the age that we signed Modric, so he's still got 2-4 years to get to his peak.

I see very little difference between the two. Mason is more aggressive without the ball. Whereas Modric was maybe 10% more consistent with his passing execution. Mason is only now the age that we signed Modric, so he's still got 2-4 years to get to his peak.

His ceiling is very high. I think he probably excites me the most out of all of our academy products.

His ceiling is very high. I think he probably excites me the most out of all of our academy products.

He's got vision better than anyone in our squad. Eriksen has more consistent execution, but Mason and Kane are the best two at seeing things (Kane's execution isn't as high yet as it will become either).

He's got vision better than anyone in our squad. Eriksen has more consistent execution, but Mason and Kane are the best two at seeing things (Kane's execution isn't as high yet as it will become either).
I wouldn't agree about Kane having that vision. He really doesn't get his head up anywhere near the box.

I wouldn't agree about Kane having that vision. He really doesn't get his head up anywhere near the box.

I was watching him closely last night and 3 or 4 times he tried some clever things, that didn't quite come off. It wasn't so much about getting his head up (he doesn't tend to receive the ball with options in front of him that much) - it was almost instinctive awareness of who was making runs behind him etc.

I was watching him closely last night and 3 or 4 times he tried some clever things, that didn't quite come off. It wasn't so much about getting his head up (he doesn't tend to receive the ball with options in front of him that much) - it was almost instinctive awareness of who was making runs behind him etc.
Agree to disagree?
I think anywhere there is a sniff of goal Harry is never likely to pass or get his head up for a pass. It's not his instinct, which is why he's a striker. He's a selfish striker, and it works for him. It's like the opposite end of the scale of a player like Ozil who never shoots because he is always looking for a pass.

Agree to disagree?
I think anywhere there is a sniff of goal Harry is never likely to pass or get his head up for a pass. It's not his instinct, which is why he's a striker. He's a selfish striker, and it works for him. It's like the opposite end of the scale of a player like Ozil who never shoots because he is always looking for a pass.
Yep, and long may he continue to be.

However there was one situation in the closing stages last night which had me worried because he was trying to be unselfish. He was clean through on goal and I shouted 'SHOOT!' at the tv but no, untypically enough he spotted (think it was) Lamela running clear ahead of him in an even better position so instead of going for goal like he should've he went and attempted the pass, only of course for the goalie to come out and eagerly gobble it up.

Really, once he's through on goal himself imo he must shoot every time regardless, he's far too good a shot to go wasting his precious opportunities trying to be unselfish!

Sorry mate, I know you are a big fan of Mason but there is no way he will be half the player Modric was/is.

Ha, no it wouldn't surprise me either.
He'll get game time, injuries will always effect it too, but throw in the DM I want us to buy then it will reduce further, but who knows. I hope we do, Dier has showed that actually it is an important part of the team/system and we can't rely on him and I don't think any of the others (maybe Dembele) can play it effectively. So Dier and another DM along with two more dynamic midfielders would be great. Bentaleb, Alli, Mason.

Been mentioned a lot in other threads, but there have been plenty of changes to our team this season along with Pochettino having had time to implement his plans. Walker being fit an on form, Alderweireld coming in, Davies improving and providing good cover for Rose at the very least, very few players not contributing properly defensively out of the front 4.

Dier has shown himself very capable as a DM in this setup in a couple of months. But now you're ready to conclude that Bentaleb can't play that role effectively...

We've seen in recent games against Anderlecht and Villa that Dier isn't a magical defensive pill. When we mess up our pressing from the front or when we make individual errors on the ball deep we get exposed, just like last season with Mason and Bentaleb in midfield.

For me at the very least Bentaleb has shown enough to warrant a good run in the team if/when Dier is missing.

Who do you even suggest we sign as a DM? A first choice top class DM to replace Dier in the starting line-up? Or a backup for him to come in between Dier and Bentaleb in the pecking order?

Back