• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

I don't really understand the hype. By all means he is a decent footballer , but not one i would want in the starting 11 ( ok for now since all our cm are mediocre) . It's his first season in the team, but he is 23 and i really don't expect him to be more than a squad player . We really need schneiderlein ( or someone like him) to push for top 4 . Stambouli has been very impressive of late , i would like to see him an Bentaleb in the cm position and have Mason as backup if we dont sign anyone else .

I really don't understand the hype either. He plays ok, but his touch is often loose, and his passing can be careless at times. He has better vision than his passing ability as well - this sounds like it should be a good thing but it feels to me that he often sees a pass a better player could make, and then tries it admirably but can't quite pull it off. His mentality needs to mature slightly - people have a go at Rose for having a short hard man mentality, but imo mason is far worse in this aspect. I like him, I want youth to do well, but currently I can't see him progressing any further than jamie o hara and livermore. I want us to be better than that, and agree with him being a squad player. I don't feel this way about Kane - i think he has more tools, greater potential and a better mentality. I also feel bentaleb has a higher ceiling than mason, he's younger and performs at a higher level in my opinion. i like the contract if it helps us turn a higher profit. i like the contract if mason is happy to be backup during his spurs career. i'd rather have better in our first 11 however, and ideally we'd have someone more experienced and of higher quality for bentaleb to learn from, rather than two kids muddling through together (as nice as it is to see our academy bear fruit).

I reserve the right to wholly change my opinion if pochettino plays mason behind the striker. i think that's where he should be, i think he'd be able to score a lot of goals, and his energy levels (which are great!) could allow him to burst into the box from closer. I'd like to see kane leading with mason in behind at one point. However, as one of our deeper lying midfielders, i'm not the biggest fan, and would rather see someone like carroll there above him, or preferably a new signing.

p.s. Stambouli hasn't impressed me. looks like he's running through custard. Dembele isn't a deep lying midfielder, in a month of sundays. Move him further up, or don't play him.

Personally think he is a great player and vital to the tempo we play

He rarely gives it away despite what some people think and he wins plenty of ball

Personally think he is a great player and vital to the tempo we play

He rarely gives it away despite what some people think and he wins plenty of ball

The same posters that don't see what he does, didn't appreciate Modric or Carrick until they weren't here anymore either.

Modric and Carrick were similar players and both got the same criticisms I see of Mason:

"doesn't do anything"/"what does he do?"/"all he does is pass"/"doesn't score enough"/"doesn't assist enough"/"doesn't tackle enough"

The same posters that don't see what he does, didn't appreciate Modric or Carrick until they weren't here anymore either.

Modric and Carrick were similar players and both got the same criticisms I see of Mason:

"doesn't do anything"/"what does he do?"/"all he does is pass"/"doesn't score enough"/"doesn't assist enough"/"doesn't tackle enough"

i can say that is patently untrue!

isn't it possible to think he just isn't that good at those things that modric was?

Literally every single come back to any criticism is just personal attacks, aggressive lambasting or generalisations. I loved Carrick, I think Modric was more I portent to our team than bale and exactly what we need now. But I think mason is barely premiership quality, never mind Spurs quality. How does that fit into your theory?

I fear we're regressing into a small time club... Desperate to be wrong about what is happening.

Last edited:
We do seem to miss him when he is not there.
And he certainly has ability
This is also his first PL season, so we should reserve judgment until may.

He does have the same issue we have as a team - not precise or creative enough to break down teams that sit back and I think people are expecting that of him

Literally every single come back to any criticism is just personal attacks, aggressive lambasting or generalisations. I loved Carrick, I think Modric was more I portent to our team than bale and exactly what we need now. But I think mason is barely premiership quality, never mind Spurs quality. How does that fit into your theory?

I fear we're regressing into a small time club... Desperate to be wrong about what is happening.

Barely Premiership quality? Hahaha Blimey!

For me this shows the difference between Mason and AVB's brand of keep ball players.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...erdinand-thought-Roy-Keane-crazy-met-him.html

Ferdinand said: 'One of my first training sessions after joining (Manchester United), I got the ball, passed it to Gary Neville, and in any world that was a great ball, but Keano turned around and started screaming at me, "Pass it forward, take a risk, you're not at Leeds or West Ham, you're at Man United." And I stood there and thought "This guy is crazy, man, I passed it to a team-mate."'
Despite his initial shock at Keane's reaction, the 35-year-old quickly realised that his new team-mate was only trying to help him get into the mindset of a United player.
He added: 'I went home and thought 'This guy is nuts, how am I going to deal with him on a daily basis.' But then I realised what he said, you've got to start taking risks. He was aggressive in that sense, but I liked that stuff.'

For me this shows the difference between Mason and AVB's brand of keep ball players.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...erdinand-thought-Roy-Keane-crazy-met-him.html

Ferdinand said: 'One of my first training sessions after joining (Manchester United), I got the ball, passed it to Gary Neville, and in any world that was a great ball, but Keano turned around and started screaming at me, "Pass it forward, take a risk, you're not at Leeds or West Ham, you're at Man United." And I stood there and thought "This guy is crazy, man, I passed it to a team-mate."'
Despite his initial shock at Keane's reaction, the 35-year-old quickly realised that his new team-mate was only trying to help him get into the mindset of a United player.
He added: 'I went home and thought 'This guy is nuts, how am I going to deal with him on a daily basis.' But then I realised what he said, you've got to start taking risks. He was aggressive in that sense, but I liked that stuff.'

this is a good post - we need more of this mentality. Mason is a natural risk taker, doesn't get his head down, keeps going keeps believing keeps looking for the breakthrough.

Why? What is happening?

We're finally promoting youth players?

Mason may be far from a world beater. But he has ability and he plays with passion. More pertinently, he's the best midfielder that we currently have for moving the ball quickly, forwards and incisively. That doesn't mean that we won't buy someone who can do the job even better (nor that there aren't even better coming through from the academy). But for now, he's worth his place.

The youth players playing first team football for us is something to be very proud of.

Absolutely agree. I've loved this season, thanks to the spine we are building of young players, many of whom have come through our ranks. Besides his academy background, Mason consistently delivers a nice combination of craft and grit, flying into tackles and closing down while displaying an impressive range of long passing and real promise as a deep lying playmaker. Of course, he's struggled at times this season. It's not only his first full season in the Prem, but it's one of his first that hasn't been beset by injuries. He hasn't played over 20 league games since 2008, so of course, it will take him time to find the consistency in his game that comes with being an every-week starter. I think he deserves his place, and I really look forward to watching him develop at the Lane.

If this team is small-time, I'm happy to watch a small-time club. Even if we lose Hugo at the end of the season, which I'm expecting, that's a team that I'll be excited to watch and proud to support every week.

-------------Lloris-----------
Walker-Vert---Fazio---Rose
---Bentaleb----Mason-----
Lamela---Eriksen----Chadli
----------Kane--------------

That is a solid collection of exciting young players with experience in the right places with a ton of promising youngsters in the squad. I'm a big fan of Dier, Davies, Townsend, Stambouli, and many others in the squad. If anything, I'd rather not see us splash out on a ton of new players (maybe a pacy, direct wing forward or a #9 if Adebayor can be shifted) and watch the young players develop.

Schmeichel
Neville Johnsen Stam Irwin
Giggs Beckham Butt Blomquist
Cole Yorke​

So small time.

Imagine web forums had have been around in the early nineties, and you were a follower of a team in red. The forum would have been something like:

- Just how many years do we need to give Ferguson? Send him back to Scotland. That's his level.
- Look I know Cantona does some magnificent things, but he's neither a centre forward or a midfielder, and he unbalances the shape. We're a better team without him
- I'm not sure about Giggsy. It's all hype, very little end product. Maybe we should cash in on him now and buy someone more reliable. I reckon Tony Daley at Villa has a brighter future.
- Why is he playing Roy Keane as a DM? He's an AM. He always played AM at Forest. He might have won the league last year, but Fergie is a fraud.
- What's with all these kids? We're Man United, we should be buying world class players, not putting kids in to raise their value.
- Gary frigging Neville. My mum is quicker than him, and he offers nothing going forward. I hear his younger brother is a far better player.
- People keep telling me that Scholes is quality. All I see is a squat ginger lad who contributes nothing other than sideways passes and awful tackling. I hope I'm wrong, but Sunderland is about his level.
- We need a 20 goal a year striker. All the other top teams have won, and we can't expect to win leagues without one.

And so on, and so on.

Imagine web forums had have been around in the early nineties, and you were a follower of a team in red. The forum would have been something like:

- Just how many years do we need to give Ferguson? Send him back to Scotland. That's his level.
- Look I know Cantona does some magnificent things, but he's neither a centre forward or a midfielder, and he unbalances the shape. We're a better team without him
- I'm not sure about Giggsy. It's all hype, very little end product. Maybe we should cash in on him now and buy someone more reliable. I reckon Tony Daley at Villa has a brighter future.
- Why is he playing Roy Keane as a DM? He's an AM. He always played AM at Forest. He might have won the league last year, but Fergie is a fraud.
- What's with all these kids? We're Man United, we should be buying world class players, not putting kids in to raise their value.
- Gary frigging Neville. My mum is quicker than him, and he offers nothing going forward. I hear his younger brother is a far better player.
- People keep telling me that Scholes is quality. All I see is a squat ginger lad who contributes nothing other than sideways passes and awful tackling. I hope I'm wrong, but Sunderland is about his level.
- We need a 20 goal a year striker. All the other top teams have won, and we can't expect to win leagues without one.

And so on, and so on.

So true! :lol::lol::lol:=D>

Back