• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rule changes in football

With regards to the line spray perhaps the ref should have a bright yellow one when a penalty is taken. He should spray a two yard line on top of the white line of the goal line so to stop the keeper encroaching.

The one thing i like to see on a serious note,is after 80 minutes for example any subistutions or injuries the clock stops,or even when a goal is scored ,so any time wastage is properly timed like they do in rugby.

It'd be interesting to play a game with a stopping clock, just to see how many days it takes them to complete it ;)

I think the ref's have been quite lenient in this world cup, trying to keep all 22 on the field. Allowing some warnings before bringing the cards out.

Even some blatant two footers have escaped a yellow let alone a red. There is a reasonable level of friendliness amongst the players (pepe/muller aside) that has helped a bit.

Love it when the ref sprays the line and all the players in the wall try to get their precious little boots out of the way.

It'd be interesting to play a game with a stopping clock, just to see how many days it takes them to complete it ;)

I know there was a ref on Talksport saying time wasting is the next thing on fifa list to sort out but as games are worked around tv schedules and ad breaks stopping games for everything will eat into these ad breaks,and cause disruption but something after 80/85 minutes shouldn't cause much issue.

I want to see FIFA do something about all the cheating that goes on. Thomas Muller got Pepe sent off by blatantly feigning a face injury that wasn't there. Granted Pepe was an idiot for his reaction but if Muller doesn't cheat in the first place then Pepe doesn't get sent off, he's ruined Pepes world cup and possibly Portugals as well, although they looked like getting tonked anyway.

I think players that behave like this should get a 3 match ban retrospectively, it's such a simple one to sort out and it annoys me that nothing is done, effectively encouraging it. I think I can guess what FIFA will do about it though.

waving imaginary cards about should be rewarded with the card that they are so desperate to see, but for the waver not the original offender, obviously.

I'm loving the spray, thought it was a great idea when I heard about it in teh MLS a few seasons ago.

One rule I would love to see introduced would be no points for a 0-0. Would put more of an emphasis on attacking.

I like the rugby rule where the referee can reverse the penalty when players show dissent or question the decision. So if there is a free kick and the players start demanding a card, give the free kick the other way. Players would soon stop if they lost goalscoring opportunities.

I want to see FIFA do something about all the cheating that goes on. Thomas Muller got Pepe sent off by blatantly feigning a face injury that wasn't there. Granted Pepe was an idiot for his reaction but if Muller doesn't cheat in the first place then Pepe doesn't get sent off, he's ruined Pepes world cup and possibly Portugals as well, although they looked like getting tonked anyway.

I think players that behave like this should get a 3 match ban retrospectively, it's such a simple one to sort out and it annoys me that nothing is done, effectively encouraging it. I think I can guess what FIFA will do about it though.

waving imaginary cards about should be rewarded with the card that they are so desperate to see, but for the waver not the original offender, obviously.

Couldn't agree more, though a start would be for them to even agree that it is cheating. For many, if not most, conning the ref is an accepted and legitimate part of the game. I hate it.

It wouldn't take that long.

The amount of time spent flopping around on the ground would be greatly reduced.
The ball is out of play a lot in football. If you stopped the clock every time, you would probably start the game with 60 minutes on the clock (or less) for what is now a 90 minute game.

A system like rugby union where the ref can do the time on/off stuff would be interesting, so don't stop it for a throw in or goalkick/corner, but if some cheat is faking cramp at an overly opportune moment, or shaking hands with everyone on his own team as he dawdles off on a substitution. Just to see how much of the 90 minutes we pay a fortune for actually passes in play.

A system like rugby union where the ref can do the time on/off stuff would be interesting, so don't stop it for a throw in or goalkick/corner, but if some cheat is faking cramp at an overly opportune moment, or shaking hands with everyone on his own team as he dawdles off on a substitution. Just to see how much of the 90 minutes we pay a fortune for actually passes in play.
That would be great, especially if the stadium clock was linked to the ref's watch.

if we are nicking ideas from rugby, I'd like the refs mic broadcast.

it's all play though, there's 22 men (or women) out there, only one can have the ball at any one time

the 21 without the ball define what happens next

The ball is out of play a lot in football. If you stopped the clock every time, you would probably start the game with 60 minutes on the clock (or less) for what is now a 90 minute game.

and then it would gradually resemble a NFL game where it takes over 3 hours to play a 60 minute game :(

I'd like to have it as well where the whistle can't be blown for full time unless the ball is out of play, i.e. kicked into touch.

That would be great, especially if the stadium clock was linked to the ref's watch.

if we are nicking ideas from rugby, I'd like the refs mic broadcast.

Was trialled once but players swore too much, in particular Tony Adams. Apparently after the game he denied that he swore to the manager, and the manager just pressed play on the VCR

[video=youtube;G4ruNosLNOE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ruNosLNOE[/video]

Was trialled once but players swore too much, in particular Tony Adams. Apparently after the game he denied that he swore to the manager, and the manager just pressed play on the VCR

[video=youtube;G4ruNosLNOE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ruNosLNOE[/video]
It doesn't necessarily have to be broadcast live on TV. It would be good if they could go back to (beeped out) discussions between the ref and players to explain why a decision has been given.

No Law changes are neccessary all we need are referees who apply them correctly, players who abide by them and F.A.s that support the referees for applying them when they do so.

But unfortunately I can't see any of those three happening.

On the micing of refs, to swap swearing all you need is to start dishing out frees or yellows for bad language and it will soon sort itself out.

They mic the refs (umpires) in Aussie rules down here and as soon as a naughty word is spoken it's a free kick or 50m free (they move a free kick 50m closer to the goals). Players know to keep their lips shut.

On the micing of refs, to swap swearing all you need is to start dishing out frees or yellows for bad language and it will soon sort itself out.

They mic the refs (umpires) in Aussie rules down here and as soon as a naughty word is spoken it's a free kick or 50m free (they move a free kick 50m closer to the goals). Players know to keep their lips shut.

The Law is already in place to issue a red for foul and abusive language just need the refs to apply it.

Back