• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rule changes in football

Hotshot-Tottenham

Edgar Davids
In the light of Pulis's comments about 3 match bans for divers, how about another new rule...

We've had the passback rule, various versions of what is and what's not offside... but what about this one -

If the attacking team hit the woodwork and it goes behind, it's a corner rather than a goal kick. (whether or not the opposition have touched it on the way)

It rewards the attacking impetus shown, so it's not a real manipulation of the game, and it will result in more goals per game on the whole - which is what the governing bodies want: more exciting games. (would like to see stats on goals scored per corners taken).

what say GG?

How about rescinding this new rule about no physical contact?

What's that?

It's not a rule?

Could've fooled me..........

How about rescinding this new rule about no physical contact?

What's that?

It's not a rule?

Could've fooled me..........

Of course its a rule. The pundits mention it every week on MOTD when some diving cvnt sticks his leg out to make contact with a defender. ;)

I like the rugby rule where an offence can be used to reverse a call, e.g. retaliation or complaining to the ref. So waving imaginary cards and diving should be called to cancel the free kick (or penalty) and award it to the other side. A few cancelled penalties would soon get the managers on their players backs.

E.g.

1. Suarez is fouled but dives to "help" the referee. The penalty is awarded but then the dive gets it "reversed" and the defence gets a free kick

2. Rooney is fouled and runs around the referee demanding a red. Penalty is awarded and then reversed for arguing with the referee. I don't think Fergie would let this happen too often.

I hate diving as much as the next person - but the more football I watch the more the players going down seems reasonable
very often I see someone try to stay on their feet, not get an advantage - and the ref runs off - they wont give the foul
Players are left with no option but to go down - because of brick refereeing.

An actual rule change I would like - one appeal against a decision per team per match. Like cricket but limited to one - so you have some recourse for an absolute howler
50/50 decisions are part of sport - people need to accept them - but as a fan the absolute howler really kills you, spoils the game - they need to be gotten rid of

I hate diving as much as the next person - but the more football I watch the more the players going down seems reasonable
very often I see someone try to stay on their feet, not get an advantage - and the ref runs off - they wont give the foul
Players are left with no option but to go down - because of brick refereeing.

This is true, but what is the cause? Because most players outright dive or fall easily, the referee is less likely to call a foul without the fall. Its the cheating that makes the referee more reluctant. If he didn't have all the cheats "helping" him he could make a decision on the incident and what he saw more easily.

This is true, but what is the cause? Because most players outright dive or fall easily, the referee is less likely to call a foul without the fall. Its the cheating that makes the referee more reluctant. If he didn't have all the cheats "helping" him he could make a decision on the incident and what he saw more easily.

Maybe, chicken and egg. But a twin fix of refs actually giving fouls - and retrospective bans for diving - and we would be a hell of a lot closer to fairness.

Quite aside from this its a shame that sport is serious these days that players do not behave honestly - would it really be such a big problem to turn round after being awarded a penalty wrongly to say "hey ref, he never touched me, play on"

Player can terminate 'advantage' themselves, with a hand signal or something. I've seen loads of occasions where the free kick is more desirable than retaining possession so why not leave it up to the player to decide.

Player must leave the field if the trainer comes on. fudging stupid rule.

And the very obvious one - retrospective punishment for any offence, whether the ref thinks he's seen it or not.

In the light of Pulis's comments about 3 match bans for divers, how about another new rule...

We've had the passback rule, various versions of what is and what's not offside... but what about this one -

If the attacking team hit the woodwork and it goes behind, it's a corner rather than a goal kick. (whether or not the opposition have touched it on the way)

It rewards the attacking impetus shown, so it's not a real manipulation of the game, and it will result in more goals per game on the whole - which is what the governing bodies want: more exciting games. (would like to see stats on goals scored per corners taken).

what say GG?
Great idea but cannot see anyone ever getting up a head of steam over it.

Player can terminate 'advantage' themselves, with a hand signal or something. I've seen loads of occasions where the free kick is more desirable than retaining possession so why not leave it up to the player to decide.

Player must leave the field if the trainer comes on. fudging stupid rule.

And the very obvious one - retrospective punishment for any offence, whether the ref thinks he's seen it or not.
If there could be only one change of rule, this would be it. Was designed to eliminate acting but all it does is award a potentially critical advantage to the offending side, ffs!

Sin Bins could be quite effective, i hate it when a player is clean through, but gets hacked by a defender near the halfway line and 'takes a yellow for the team'. Any yellow card should also invoke a 5/7/10 minute stint in the sin bin.

1) Ban divers
2) 10 yards rule similar to rugby whereby a ref can walk a free kcik 10 yards down the pitch if someone complains
3) Managers to have 1 TV challenge per match which can be used to challenge/appeal for a free kick, pen, red card, ball over line or other major decisions. If you give a manager 1 per game then they wont use it willy nilly (as happens in cricket where each team has 2 challenges) given that a manager wont want to be in a posiiton where they have a pen given against them in the last minute which blatantly wasnt a pen. I reckon it might be used perhaps 1 match in 4 or 5

Sin Bins could be quite effective, i hate it when a player is clean through, but gets hacked by a defender near the halfway line and 'takes a yellow for the team'. Any yellow card should also invoke a 5/7/10 minute stint in the sin bin.
DEFINITELY.

I'd also like to see a third card colour for ungentlemanly conduct like dissent, diving, waving an imaginary card around, or throwing the ball away. Say a pink card. Two pinks in one match = yellow card (and sin bin). 5 pinks over the season = 1 match suspension.

You see this meaningless "Respect" crap all over the place. Nothing's going to happen unless the refs can penalise players to some level. While lots of us would like to see a hard line approach, there's no way the FA/etc. will allow the first 3 games of the season to finish with 8 men playing 9.

Obviously, more serious pink card offences, like a completely blatant dive in the box, should still warrant an immediate yellow.

Would never work. Its such a fine line between what is and isnt a yellow that to punish a team with being a man down is too much. THat team would also time waste whilst a man down which would kill the match

Think that magic spray stuff that disappears after 30 seconds should be used for ensuring walls keep their distance. Anyone found crossing the line in an attempt to close down the free kick takers attempt should be shot. Literally shot. In the leg or something. That'd stop the bastards doing it. No fudging about with this rule, it's pretty obvious whether you're over the line and if you are, you shall be shot.

A free kick should mean what it means.

If you get fouled by an opponent, you get the option of a free kick at player or the ball. That will sort the men from the boys.

Red card for dangerous play also automatically incurs penalty regardless of whereabouts on the pitch the offence was committed.

Now THAT would give me immense satisfaction!

Red card for dangerous play also automatically incurs penalty regardless of whereabouts on the pitch the offence was committed.

Now THAT would give me immense satisfaction!

I remember Mido getting sent off for a pretty innocuous challenge though....

Back