• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Official - Soldado

Good question.

I'm not the biggest fan of 4-4-2 considering our recent performances with Ade as lone striker. It could be key for Solly to work on adapting to a lone-striker position as an off-the-bench option. Understandably, he's no spring chicken in football terms so this is easier said than done. It means a massive shift in developing his hold-up play and having to recalibrate his initial instincts on and off the ball. Ade on form is an absolute monster in that position, Solly just isn't that type of player, so it really is a tall order.

Saying that, you pay that amount for a player then you should be playing to his strengths. If we could guarantee right now that Solly could get us 20+ goals in the league next season, if we played, say, a type of 3-5-2 or even a 4-4-2 with Ade dropping quite deep, would we take that? Lot's of mitigating circumstances I know, and probably too vague a point for a discussion, just pondering out loud. Judging by his form and performances in Spain, I feel it is worth persevering in him and looking to get the absolute best out of his qualities.

Rather than being in the line of thinking that he HAS to be in the first 11 every week, a confident and adapted Soldado would be an absolute asset for our squad going forwards, all in my opinion of course. And quite a bold opinion considering that miss last night!

Thing is he won't get much game time in that lone striker role at this point so he won't be developing I think.

There won't be any guarantees for next season regardless of what's done. I agree that we should play to his strengths, but right now the only right choice is what's right for the team right now. The value of a top 4 finish is such that only this season can be the focus.

I agree that there's a lot of quality in Soldado. I still think he can make it, I just fear that he's running out of time and opportunities and not sure he'll be around next season. Would be happy for him to stay though.

Another horrorshow from our one-time record signing.

People saying he did some good stuff are easily pleased simply cos he's been so poor up til now. A few little touches in no way justify part of his price tag. At the basics he was very disappointing with his final ball and missed the easiest chance anyone could ask for.

I'd be amazed if he's still here in six months time. Nice guy but very average player.

Saying that he played well apart from that miss/horror show is not the same as saying that a few little touches justifies his price tag. Putting forward some of the positives about a player that's obviously struggling right now isn't a bad thing imo.

We've seen a lot of examples of excellent players missing easy chances and many examples of very good strikers having average seasons. Neither of those makes a player average overall.

Thing is he won't get much game time in that lone striker role at this point so he won't be developing I think.

There won't be any guarantees for next season regardless of what's done. I agree that we should play to his strengths, but right now the only right choice is what's right for the team right now. The value of a top 4 finish is such that only this season can be the focus.

I agree that there's a lot of quality in Soldado. I still think he can make it, I just fear that he's running out of time and opportunities and not sure he'll be around next season. Would be happy for him to stay though.

Saying that he played well apart from that miss/horror show is not the same as saying that a few little touches justifies his price tag. Putting forward some of the positives about a player that's obviously struggling right now isn't a bad thing imo.

We've seen a lot of examples of excellent players missing easy chances and many examples of very good strikers having average seasons. Neither of those makes a player average overall.

Can't really disagree with any of that. I'll just call my feeling on persevering with him a gut feeling. Big Boy **** ;)

Can't really disagree with any of that. I'll just call my feeling on persevering with him a gut feeling. Big Boy **** ;)

I might just have called him Soldadodo but I do like the way he plays outside the box.

I'll be backing him to score against Norwich.

Another horrorshow from our one-time record signing.

People saying he did some good stuff are easily pleased simply cos he's been so poor up til now. A few little touches in no way justify part of his price tag. At the basics he was very disappointing with his final ball and missed the easiest chance anyone could ask for.

I'd be amazed if he's still here in six months time. Nice guy but very average player.

Looked like a skip and a bounce to me for that miss. defoe doesn't score many like that too, with many dramatic action shots of him sliding it but missing by a yard or so.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fapatalk

I I can't dance with that either :)

I still think there's a lot of quality in Soldado as I've said. Another season, another day, another start, another partnership. It could all be very different and it can all be very different still I think.

haha playing out the same way in the club: are the "verts" and there are the "sugars"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ence-striker-Roberto-Soldado-donkey-jibe.html

Jan Vertonghen has defended team-mate Roberto Soldado after the striker's miss in the Europa League defeat to Dnipro led former Tottenham owner Lord Sugar to label the Spaniard as a 'donkey'.

But Vertonghen has hit back and claimed the poor surface at the Dnipro Arena, with UEFA blocking Spurs from training at the stadium on Wednesday, played a part in Soldado ballooning the close-range effort over the crossbar.
'I think that is unfair,' Vertonghen said when asked about Sugar's comments.
'I don't know him (Alan Sugar) but I think Roberto deserves better, it's very difficult to settle in England.
'He's getting less chances than he did in Spain but he will start doing well.
'Sometimes those ones are easier to score than miss, but it's more difficult than you think. It's sad for him because he scores from every angle in training and I hope he will start scoring (in matches).'

its clearly a case of bad luck and confidence.....remember back to earlyin the season and the EL qualifier in Georgia where Soldado scored practically an open goal after a great cross from Chadli??? That chance was not so different to the one he missed on Thurs. Same player

spurs-5.gif

SpanishFlimsyHalcyon.gif

not hard to figure out

he got bought and was forced into a system that didnt suit him......the lack of performance in said system has contributed to his low confidence which has carried on till now.

the cure? Do what redknapp did with bale and play him when we are winning comfortably or make sure all penalties or easy chances are given to him etc

or play him in a position where scoring isnt the main issue and he can work his way back in from there

good player , not world class, low on confidence, needs arm round shoulder

not hard to figure out

he got bought and was forced into a system that didnt suit him......the lack of performance in said system has contributed to his low confidence which has carried on till now.

the cure? Do what redknapp did with bale and play him when we are winning comfortably or make sure all penalties or easy chances are given to him etc

or play him in a position where scoring isnt the main issue and he can work his way back in from there

good player , not world class, low on confidence, needs arm round shoulder

We are playing him In a position where scoring isn't the main issue, it's the bench.

its clearly a case of bad luck and confidence.....remember back to earlyin the season and the EL qualifier in Georgia where Soldado scored practically an open goal after a great cross from Chadli??? That chance was not so different to the one he missed on Thurs. Same player

spurs-5.gif

SpanishFlimsyHalcyon.gif

totally different - a flighted ball is predictable vs ball skipping off a muddy pitch

totally different - a flighted ball is predictable vs ball skipping off a muddy pitch

i meant both were open goals from 6 yards out, and im sure with the form and confidence that Soldado has right now he would have missed that flighted ball chance too;)

My river crashed a few times towards the last 5 miniutes but from what I'd seen till then it was a shocking display from Soldado. Hardly involved in the game and when he was you wished he wasn't.

I don't think he's ever going to hit it off here.

Nope for some reason i think it has probably gone on to long for him at Tottenham and the best thing for him would be a move back to Spain.

Kind of wasted most of the Bale money, good old Levy.

Nope for some reason i think it has probably gone on to long for him at Tottenham and the best thing for him would be a move back to Spain.

Kind of wasted most of the Bale money, good old Levy.

Think it's the first time he's ever invested back the returns in a player in one swoop and it's not gone well. Safe to say if Verts/ Llloris or anyone else leaves we won't be spending it all!

I feel sorry for the fella but he's been awful. He had two great chances today and although he'd just come on, he should be scoring those.

If we stick with him for another season I think he will get better but footballers dont get that amount of time when their form is dogsh1t. And make no mistake, Soldado has been dogsh1t for us.

Not a fan but today you could see that his movement made a difference and we started to create chances after he came on (even if he was then missing them).

Not a fan but today you could see that his movement made a difference and we started to create chances after he came on (even if he was then missing them).

You can see how much it gets to him when he misses. Six months ago he'd be burying those chances.

Back