• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Defence doesn't win championships goals do. We could draw every game 0-0 and at the end of the season we could claim the best defence ever seen but we wouldn' t win the league. Scoring more goals than the opposition wins you titles. Aguerro won the title for Emirates Marketing Project not their defence. I would rather see us win 5-1 than 1-0 but hey everyone is entitled to an opinion.
As for that list of 6 strikers the only one Soldado would get ahead of on my team sheet would be Postiga. All the rest were milws better in a Spurs shirt

Just had a look at the last 10 final league tables and the top scoring team has indeed been the champions most of the time, 9 out of 10 in fact.

The last time the Premier League' highest goal scorers didn't win the title was ARSEnal back in 2005.

Pav, bent, iversen, postiga, durie, Ferdinand

Soldado is a better footballer than any of them were

I freely admit I come at this from a different angle to most, I'm not really bothered about individual goal output, but more their footballing intelligence, as I've quoted plenty of times before, goals are overrated, and, defence wins championships, I'd rather see us win 1-0 than 5-1

Can't agree with that, especially Pavly and Iversen. Both scored some important goals for us, unlike Soldado. I really rated Pavly highly as he would always score almost all the chances he got near the goal. Soldado works hard but always get the feeling he will miss any chance that he gets.

I agree that goals are overrated as a performance measure,but they also have to be used as a measure to a certain degree.

When measuring the outspu of a striker, goalscoring has to the first criteria, followed by how they work in the formation and effect play, followed by assists/being involved with assusts .

The simple fact is, he has scored 7 goals in 36 PL games.
1:5 as a ratio is not good enough for a striker in a team aiming for the top 4.
( that's not counting a lot of those goals are penalties).

He is just not a goal threat.
And whether you want to win 1-0 or 5-0, you need your forward players to be able to score goals.

7 in 36 but how many from open play? I know a goal is a goal no matter how it is scored but take away the penalties and it looks far worse. He actually missed the pen against city that would have made it 2-2 and they went straight up our end and it was 3-1 game over more or less. Feel sorry for the guy but cant see him being here next season. Hopefully we can offload a few and get a half decent striker in

he is getting assists though, a goal is a goal, it's still worth one point whether he lays it on or scores it himself

In the prem this season he has one goal and one assist, it just is not good enough for us. We need a proper decent striker cos if Kane gets injured Soldado is just not good enough. I would rather see a youth team player get a chance. They probably wont be worse than Soldado

That sounds more accurate

Sadly, I do agree.
I would love him to come good, but I just dont see it.
He really poses very little threat to the opposition.

Last edited:
Honestly every game I hope he will get a hat trick and get his season really kicking off but sadly no matter how hard he tries he just does not seem to pose a threat. Like I said before not a bad footballer but as a striker for us he has been poor beyond belief

7 in 36 but how many from open play? I know a goal is a goal no matter how it is scored but take away the penalties and it looks far worse. He actually missed the pen against city that would have made it 2-2 and they went straight up our end and it was 3-1 game over more or less. Feel sorry for the guy but cant see him being here next season. Hopefully we can offload a few and get a half decent striker in

Only 3 of those league goals have been from open play. Soldado has played 2,582 minutes in the PL over the past 18 months at Spurs so his strike rate is 369 minutes per goal, or 861 minutes per goal if you exclude penalties :oops:

he is getting assists though, a goal is a goal, it's still worth one point whether he lays it on or scores it himself

Since the start of the 2013/14 season, in the Premier League:

Kane: 11 goals + 5 assists in 1666 minutes = 104 mins per goal contribution
Adebayor: 13 goals + 8 assists in 2599 minutes = 124 mins per goal contribution
Eriksen: 15 goals + 11 assists in 3791 minutes = 146 mins per goal contribution
Chadli: 8 goals + 9 assists in 2851 minutes = 152 mins per goal contribution
Soldado: 7 goals + 6 assists in 2582 minutes = 199 mins per goal contribution

Only 3 of those league goals have been from open play. Soldado has played 2,582 minutes in the PL over the past 18 months at Spurs so his strike rate is 369 minutes per goal, or 861 minutes per goal if you exclude penalties :oops:

Since the start of the 2013/14 season, in the Premier League:

Kane: 11 goals + 5 assists in 1666 minutes = 104 mins per goal contribution
Eriksen: 15 goals + 11 assists in 3791 minutes = 146 mins per goal contribution
Chadli: 8 goals + 9 assists in 2851 minutes = 152 mins per goal contribution

Says it all.... Take away the pens and it is embarrassingly bad. He quite simply should not be in our starting line up and if Adebayor has his head right again now then Soldado probably shouldn't even be on the bench

I find it hilarious at the extent people will bend over, to extremes that a contortionist would be proud of, in order to negate the unnegatable (if that is a genuine word).

There is no doubt that Soldado has been a flop of Rebrov proportions. Just as with Rebrov, we will persist, hoping against hope, that he will reproduce the form he showed in a league with totally different characteristics and in which a handful of teams only have each other to beat with the rest cannon fodder for any half decent striker. Just as those of my age remember, Rebrov was always one goal away from a scoring streak which never arrived - I see nothing to believe that Soldado will be different.

But what really irks me is that playing Soldado means that Kane no longer plays in the position where he is most effective. I trust Poch learned the lesson yesterday and will not repeat it again. If he does have to play both together, at the very least he should push the Spaniard to the right and leave Harry in his rightful position.

what they earn is what they earn, it's the contract they accepted and signed, they still have to keep up their side of it, Ade doesn't get stick because he makes mistakes, he gets stick "because he doesn't try"
you shouldn't expect a better attitude from player A just because he cost/earns more than player B

He has, and does. Also, 'doesn't try' is an opinion, nothing more really. If I say I think he does try, then what? If you say he doesnt, and I say he does, where are we then? There are so many variants in there anyway, rather than blanket statements. Some grey area and middle ground, rather than extremes. Do we assign a scale of percentages therein? Is it possible he tries more than the perception he gives off? Tries, but doesn't always try his hardest? (Not alone in the PL). On occasions? In certain game? In certain situations? When fatigued? After long travel? Does Eriksen always try his hardest in all games? And so on.

As we know, Soldado has been pulled off in some games. When that happens I often try to read the commentary elsewhere rather than in here. On such occasions, among other things, I've heard bystander, quiet, passenger, peripheral, ineffective, slow, etc. And, as you'd imagine, not as much hype about his alleged effort in such a game.

I'd rather win 5-1 than 1-0. Usually better entertainment (although I've seen some good 1-0 games), and certainly better goal difference.

And thats with Soldado's penalties, right? So, what do we have then. Ade doesn't try, Soldo always tries his hardest, and yet Ade has still been way more productive? Imagine the chasm if Ade actually tried (assuming he doesn't). I'm thinking I'd take the more productive player because 'trying' is not a stat in the tables. We have had many triers in our history. (Townsend tries, I think.) Furthermore, I may be off in my own particular personal and subjective opinion from a distance of whether a certain player is trying and how much (assuming I have no biase or agenda to begin with), so prolly better if I go with production.

Last edited:
Says it all.... Take away the pens and it is embarrassingly bad. He quite simply should not be in our starting line up and if Adebayor has his head right again now then Soldado probably shouldn't even be on the bench

Soldado' 4 goals from the spot were all scored in 2013; against Palace, Swansea, Hull and finally Stoke on the 29th of December.

So since the start of 2014, in the PL:

Kane: 11 goals + 5 assists in 1656 minutes = 104 mins per goal contribution
Eriksen: 14 goals + 9 assists in 3095 minutes = 135 mins per goal contribution
Adebayor: 11 goals + 5 assists in 2295 minutes = 143 mins per goal contribution
Chadli: 8 goals + 7 assists in 2199 minutes = 147 mins per goal contribution
Soldado: 2 goals + 2 assists in 1214 minutes = 304 mins per goal contribution

I wish the guy could turn it around but figures like that over the past 13 months / 24 appearances are pretty damning and Soldado just doesn't look like he's going to ever hit a rich scoring vein for us or chip in with enough assists to justify a starting place in the team.

Last edited:
I know I brought up his assists but I really think there is more to him than the stats show, his ball retention is good and he does make space for others

Soldado' 4 goals from the spot were all scored in 2013; against Palace, Swansea, Hull and finally Stoke on the 29th of December.

So since the start of 2014, in the PL:

Kane: 11 goals + 5 assists in 1656 minutes = 104 mins per goal contribution
Eriksen: 14 goals + 9 assists in 3095 minutes = 135 mins per goal contribution
Adebayor: 11 goals + 5 assists in 2295 minutes = 143 mins per goal contribution
Chadli: 8 goals + 7 assists in 2199 minutes = 147 mins per goal contribution
Soldado: 2 goals + 2 assists in 1214 minutes = 304 mins per goal contribution

I wish the guy could turn it around but figures like that over the past 13 months / 24 appearances are pretty damning and Soldado just doesn't look like he's going to ever hit a rich scoring vein for us or chip in with enough assists to justify a starting place in the team.

You can prove anything once you start throwing in assists ;)
Soldado 2014/15 Premier League: 1 goal + 1 assist in 652 mins = 326 mins per goal contribution
Benteke 2014/15 Premier League: 2 goals + 1 assist in 1075 mins = 358 mins per goal contribution

Sign him up!

You can prove anything once you start throwing in assists ;)
Soldado 2014/15 Premier League: 1 goal + 1 assist in 652 mins = 326 mins per goal contribution
Benteke 2014/15 Premier League: 2 goals + 1 assist in 1075 mins = 358 mins per goal contribution

Sign him up!

At least benteke occupys defenders, is selfless and is a problem for 90mins. Defenders know they have been in a game

It is amazing that people are still trying to make a place for him to be in the side. He has two assists in a calender year and 2 goals in the premier league. So the first defence for him was that at least he sets up others. Not true. Then its that his ball retention is good and that he makes space for others. He does not do this either. With his lack of pace and strength he fails to pull players around into akward parts of the pitch and with his lack of strength he fails to bully other teams into over marking him.

He misses easy chance against easy and hard teams. He does even hit the target. He is not a strong player in the air and yesterday his presence on the pitch detracted from Kane's ability to move around the front line. The man tries, but that I believe is the minimum for a player. But he overall contribution to the side is nothing. He is a Gary lineker type player. He is there to take the chances, be clinical. And he cannot even do that.

I dont want him anywhere near the side at the moment. I have absolute no faith in the man whatsoever. I have never hated on a player for Spurs. But this man just makes me want to pull my hair out.

- - - Updated - - -

It is amazing that people are still trying to make a place for him to be in the side. He has two assists in a calender year and 2 goals in the premier league. So the first defence for him was that at least he sets up others. Not true. Then its that his ball retention is good and that he makes space for others. He does not do this either. With his lack of pace and strength he fails to pull players around into akward parts of the pitch and with his lack of strength he fails to bully other teams into over marking him.

He misses easy chance against easy and hard teams. He does even hit the target. He is not a strong player in the air and yesterday his presence on the pitch detracted from Kane's ability to move around the front line. The man tries, but that I believe is the minimum for a player. But he overall contribution to the side is nothing. He is a Gary lineker type player. He is there to take the chances, be clinical. And he cannot even do that.

I dont want him anywhere near the side at the moment. I have absolute no faith in the man whatsoever. I have never hated on a player for Spurs. But this man just makes me want to pull my hair out.

I find it hilarious at the extent people will bend over, to extremes that a contortionist would be proud of, in order to negate the unnegatable (if that is a genuine word).

There is no doubt that Soldado has been a flop of Rebrov proportions. Just as with Rebrov, we will persist, hoping against hope, that he will reproduce the form he showed in a league with totally different characteristics and in which a handful of teams only have each other to beat with the rest cannon fodder for any half decent striker. Just as those of my age remember, Rebrov was always one goal away from a scoring streak which never arrived - I see nothing to believe that Soldado will be different.

But what really irks me is that playing Soldado means that Kane no longer plays in the position where he is most effective. I trust Poch learned the lesson yesterday and will not repeat it again. If he does have to play both together, at the very least he should push the Spaniard to the right and leave Harry in his rightful position.

I disagree with you there. I think that Kane is excellent as a #10 and it plays to his natural strengths. His willingness to pick up the ball deep and make very direct runs also offers something that our other players do not really have.

I disagree with you there. I think that Kane is excellent as a #10 and it plays to his natural strengths. His willingness to pick up the ball deep and make very direct runs also offers something that our other players do not really have.

Back