• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

- Sanchez?
- Rodriguez?
- Berbatov?

Who are first two? Berbatov had strength but he was an insanely gifted footballer, if you don't have physical qualities in this league then you need to be really ****ing good technically, as an attacking player anyway. Soldado is weak, slow, powerless, on the ball he is neat and tidy, nothing else.

The reason he doesn't get any service is that no bugger has any creative spark apart from Eriksen, who is hidden on the left.

I watch Soldado's movement and it is very good. But the middle of the park gets so bloody congested, and play slows down so much that his runs are often pointless.

As for forwards who flourished without strength or pace...

- Sheringham
- Bergkamp
- Andy Cole
- Fowler
- Zola

Off the top of my head.

- Sanchez?
- Rodriguez?
- Berbatov?

Sheringham and Berbatov didn't have strength?

Several of the players you mention have not played as out and out strikers.

He's a good player, but I'm not sure he's right for us.

The reason he doesn't get any service is that no bugger has any creative spark apart from Eriksen, who is hidden on the left.

I watch Soldado's movement and it is very good. But the middle of the park gets so bloody congested, and play slows down so much that his runs are often pointless.

As for forwards who flourished without strength or pace...

- Sheringham
- Bergkamp
- Andy Cole
- Fowler
- Zola

Off the top of my head.

Fair points with the list, though Sheringham was pretty strong, brilliant in the air. Bergkamp and Zola, granted -- but Soldado can't play number 10 like those two, he was bought to lead the line and be the main man. Cole and Fowler weren't rocket speed, but they were quicker than Soldado imo.

If he starts knocking them in like Fowler, then I won't be complaining!

Sherinham and Berbatov were certainly not in the Drogba, Boney, Lukaku, Shearer, Lambert, Carrol mold of striker.

Sherinham and Berbatov were certainly not in the Drogba, Boney, Lukaku, Shearer, Lambert, Carrol mold of striker.

We frequently hoofed the ball up to Berbatov and he held it up brilliantly. Wonderful target man, not quite in the class of those you mention, but he was certainly strong. Significantly taller than Soldado too (1.89 m (6 ft 2 1⁄2 in) compared to 1.79 m (5 ft 10 in) according to wiki). Sheringham too was a very useful target man in addition to his other qualities.

They weren't in the mould of any of the players you mention. But they were also clearly a lot more physical than Soldado.

Berba would often hold a defender off, bring the ball down and bring other players in, he was also deceptively quick I'd say. Soldado can't do that, not big enough, not strong enough, if he was quick though then it'd be ok but he's not that either. He has very little going for him as a striker and when he can't finish he has virtually nothing going for him. I think we'd see a massive difference if he was replaced by anyone with a little dynanism and aggressiveness.

He may be a dud, he may be the greatest striker we've ever had. Until we've given him a settled run and until we stop measuring him on whatever fits the pass/fail we've already chosen it's a little premature making silly claims.

On balance, I don't think he will make it with us but to proclaim that he certainly won't at this stage would make me a fool at best.

He has now had one and a half seasons at Spurs and I think we can count on one hand the number of goals he has scored (excluding penalties - that to be fair to him he actually seems to be very good at). I think it is fair to say that he is a dud and that he will not even be an adequate striker let alone the greatest we have ever had.

We desperately need to find ourselves a proper centre forward this January in order to give Pochettino a chance to do something that will impress the fans enough so that they don't completely get on his back and make it difficult for the board to keep him. Unfortunately however I fear that the board will not get us one.

How many top level strikers do you think we can buy in one January window? Remember how sparse the options tend to be for top players in this window.

I'd be surprised if we can find one at anything like a decent price and Soldado is a very, very distant second in the "strikers we need to replace" category.
We don't even need a top level one.... Just an average one would be an upgrade on Soldado.

I think if the right money was offered we could get any of Destro, Icardi, Mitrovic or Berahino. Dybala, Ings and Gignac all have contract situations that could be exploited. What about the centre forward from Colombia that we were linked with (supposed to be a bit of a nutter)? Villa would probably also take a big offer for Benteke, Equally Swansea might not stand in Bony's way if a big offer was made for him. It may be that none of them are the answer, but I would rather get one and find out than carry on with somebody who has demonstrated that he clearly is not.

This thread is like a neverending case of deja vu.

Soldado not playing because he isn't scoring,
he gets back into the team his build up play is decent but still can't score
If he can just get one goal it will get him firing.
He gets a goal his buildup play is decent but he goes back to never looking like scoring
His build up play now is offering little to nothing and still can't score
He is dropped..
Rinse Repeat

The more curious part is how a club of our stature can leave themselves so short of striker options we literally have no choice but to play him. Kane can't play every match on his own up top he will get knackered and that has showed. Ade is AWOL and looney tunes. I am all for getting a top striker in January but at the bare minimum we need to sign someone like a Deeney, Long type who can simply give us some games and maybe chip in with some goals

Last edited:
So who else are we going to play? At the moment we have 2 available for that spot, Kane and Soldado. Kane runs himself into the ground in every game. Soldado was taken off to keep him fresh for midweek so Kane can rest until the weekend. Our fixture list is crazy and with a lot of games coming up over Christmas the front needs to be rotated.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

So who else are we going to play? At the moment we have 2 available for that spot, Kane and Soldado. Kane runs himself into the ground in every game. Soldado was taken off to keep him fresh for midweek so Kane can rest until the weekend. Our fixture list is crazy and with a lot of games coming up over Christmas the front needs to be rotated.

That is the issue I highlighted above we literally have no other options no clue how we have left oursleves so short of options

We must have been typing that at the same time[emoji317]
It's a squad game nowadays, so is Poch keeping Lennon fit and ready to go for Man U and Chelsea?

That is the issue I highlighted above we literally have no other options no clue how we have left oursleves so short of options

Which is why we have to bring somebody in this January. We either go balls in for a long term option like Benteke, Bony or Berahino (and pay the over inflated January sellers market fee) or we look to exploit a contract situation and get in a Gignac type. Personally I would like us to do both as it would allow us to put Soldado out of his misery and loan him out to anyone that will meet his wages (probably to a weaker league such as Italy).

Which is why we have to bring somebody in this January. We either go balls in for a long term option like Benteke, Bony or Berahino (and pay the over inflated January sellers market fee) or we look to exploit a contract situation and get in a Gignac type. Personally I would like us to do both as it would allow us to put Soldado out of his misery and loan him out to anyone that will meet his wages (probably to a weaker league such as Italy).

I think we need both and as I said at the bare minimum if we don't want to break the bank we need to sign one or two adequate strikers for the short term who can simply fill out the squad. Maybe someone like Deeney or Shane Long. Benteke or Bony both would compliment Kane brilliantly imo Levy just needs to ****ing do it!

I hate to look at past players because it is pretty pointless but still no clue why we let Defoe go he has his limitations but he no doubt would have gotten us some games and goals this season

Last edited:
I think we need both and as I said at the bare minimum if we don't want to break the bank we need to sign one or two adequate strikers for the short term who can simply fill out the squad. Maybe someone like Deeney or Shane Long. Benteke or Bony both would compliment Kane brilliantly imo Levy just needs to ****ing do it!

I hate to look at past players because it is pretty pointless but still no clue why we let Defoe go he has his limitations but he no doubt would have gotten us some games and goals this season
Q
Absolutely agree with you on Defoe, he would have won us a few more games and put Soldado goal scoring to shame.

It is kind of bizarre and like you said, ANYONE with any ounce of goal-threat in this team playing up top with Kane would transform this team IMO. I honestly think if we had Danny Ings or Shane Long upfront we would look a lot better than we do. If we had someone like Bony, then honestly I think we'd be right up there in the top 4 mix.

If the rôle that A was meant to play is still required, the let's see who could carry it out as an ersatz striker.

1. Tall & strong

2. quick enough in bursts

3. good close control

4. timing of passes

5. hard low shooting

6. good heading

You might try (in no particular order):

a) Vertonghen 6'2"

b) Kaboul 6'2"

c) Friedel 6'3"

In other words .. there are always options.

Back