• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

There's something about Higuain that just leaves me believing he'd be a waster in the Prem. I think it speaks volumes that Pellegrini didn't even look twice at him. Yes, I know he's Chilean and Higuain is Argentinian, but Pellegrini knows Argentinian football better than most.

As for Soldado, his movement is very very clever indeed. Back to goal? Not so sure. But if we intend to play with the power and pace it looks like we do, as long as his movement remains sharp, he'll be pointing in the right direction to take advantage and score LOL!

I think higuain has more ability than soldado.
However, there are more question marks over him surrounding fitness andaattitude. Both of which stem from the last few years at real.

If you get higuain fit, focused and playing consistently, he can be as good as rvp. But it's a fair sized if.

Soldado is the more stable signing IMHO, and the right one for us. And its not like he is a poor player!

Higuain looked like a right little fatty last year. Also what's with his 8 in 48 record in Europe? Can he not cut it when playing against teams who are capable of putting up a fight, as opposed to the cannon-fodder he's used to facing every week?

correct.

However there is a difference between people who care what we spend and others who dont think Levy will spend such an amount on this type of player (age related) I think African is in the 'Levy wont spend so much' camp

I said yesterday that Spurs have made some amazingly good buys in recent years for not much money with only Dembele and Paulinho each costing more than 10 mill....I really think the club and Levy can afford to splurge on a top striker, someone who can guarantee goals, and not worry about the financial consequences.

correct. IMO i think the fact that you would be spending post 20 million on someone that is going have their value depreciate at a high rate without the certainty of CL is not really an option a savy business chairman is or should be taking

the second you buy soldado for 25 million you have to speculate on actually breaking even either in performance or in club achievement in relation to the players performance. Both would be hard to achieve IMO

i mean you couldnt even speculate on future value as a relationship with the players forecast potential. what you see now should be what you get. you pay 25 million for a player approaching 30? you should hope to get that outlay straight back in peroformance

i cant see it personally

So Higuain heading into his prime seasons as a player is being dropped by Madrid. Hardly an endorsement is it.

correct. IMO i think the fact that you would be spending post 20 million on someone that is going have their value depreciate at a high rate without the certainty of CL is not really an option a savy business chairman is or should be taking

the second you buy soldado for 25 million you have to speculate on actually breaking even either in performance or in club achievement in relation to the players performance. Both would be hard to achieve IMO

i mean you couldnt even speculate on future value as a relationship with the players forecast potential. what you see now should be what you get. you pay 25 million for a player approaching 30? you should hope to get that outlay straight back in peroformance

i cant see it personally

What about this scenario?

Joe Lewis sees that the only way to guarantee stadium rights is to be in the CL.
He understands that this would require an investment.
He sanctions an extra 40 million to be spent prudently by the current regime (DoF/manager) on top of the summer budget.
If we fail to qualify for the CL this season, and the books are way off, we still have the asset (s) to sell to re-balance 'the gamble'.
This is, essentially, a 'risk-free' window in terms of asset accumulation as we will retain an asset which could absolutely clear the decks next summer if necessary and if we need to do it.

;)

at an earlier stage of his career - they also let Eto'o leave when they thought they had better options - sometimes you get it wrong

Joe Lewis sees that the only way to guarantee stadium rights is to be in the CL.
He sanctions an extra 40 million to be spent prudently by the current regime (DoF/manager) on top of the summer budget.
If we fail to qualify for the CL this season, and the books are way off, we still have the asset (s) to sell to re-balance 'the gamble'.
This is, essentially, a 'risk-free' window in terms of asset accumulation as we will retain an asset which could absolutely clear the decks next summer if necessary and if we need to do it.

;)

think we can service a 50m (ballpark figure...) debt quite comfortably if we spread it out over x amount of years - without having to rely on CL money or selling an asset to cover it

I'm not worried about Levy's wallet, because as far as any of us know it has nothing to do with Levy's wallet.

It's like me having a book you want. You want to pay £25, i want £35. What would you do? You'd go and look for a different book, or you would attempt to haggle. What you wouldn't do, unless you had mountains of cash, is just say fudge it, i'll pay £30.

But if one party yields too soon the other will stick to their valution. It's a poker game, but we have to play our hands slowly, unlike City who can just buy the pot.

Graeme Bailey ‏@GraemeBailey 37s
Valencia have stated they don't want to sell Spurs target Roberto Soldado and will only let him leave for his £25.7million release clause.

;)

and that asset is Bale - which ive used the term 'insurance policy'. He is. If we dont get CL he will certainly leave we sell for a high fee and we break even or even make a profit on the transfers this summer. If we get CLBale stays we make more money and the extra revenue will help balance this years budget.

As you say 'risk' free.

Yes.. But you neglected to point it out that its happened to both.
What are you talking about? my point wasn't to imply that Madrid letting Soldado go is some sort of evidence he isn't that good (or in your words "isn't an endorsement"). My point was to state they let him go because they felt Higuain had big potential and was the better player.

Your point on the other hand was to state Higuain being sold by Madrid should be seen as some sort of negative ...when they did the same damn thing with Soldado:ross:

Back