• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

If we do, I think it also sends out a message that we want to compete for real now and we're no longer little old Tottenham.

Absolutely.
It's a very very important window. I had no issue not paying 25 mill in the end for Benteke (even though I like him) but I think if we don't do this deal (given his scoring record) it will absolutely send the wrong message, as much to AVB as anyone!

What about this scenario?

Joe Lewis sees that the only way to guarantee stadium rights is to be in the CL.
He understands that this would require an investment.
He sanctions an extra 40 million to be spent prudently by the current regime (DoF/manager) on top of the summer budget.
If we fail to qualify for the CL this season, and the books are way off, we still have the asset (s) to sell to re-balance 'the gamble'.
This is, essentially, a 'risk-free' window in terms of asset accumulation as we will retain an asset which could absolutely clear the decks next summer if necessary and if we need to do it.

;)

LOL

dreams can come true...you know you got ta have em , you know ya gat ta be strooooOOOonnG...ungh. Get down and booogie...

i dont think so

the soldado asset will not be sold for purchase value, he would have to contribute world class levels to do that...otherwise all you have is an asset thats rapidly approaching the wrong side of 29/30. Depreciation will set in with this particular asset STRAIGHT AWAY.

if he performs to Van persie or bale levels and makes a distinct and significant impact , THEN we are talking getting money back...or even ......turn a profit!!!

well obviously resale isn't a deciding factor in the move for Soldado - we're buying a player who we expect to hit the ground running and prove his transfer fee by helping the team reach it's goals

think we can service a 50m (ballpark figure...) debt quite comfortably if we spread it out over x amount of years - without having to rely on CL money or selling an asset to cover it

why would you want to do that in the first place? take into account we arent funded from a bottomless well, so taking a BIG risk on that kind of money is completely crazy...especially when you consider that our board operate on a smart business sense

i dont even know why i am trying to convince people of something that may or may not happen. All i know is that there has always been a model in place, its adjusted slightly but its still there and it was easy to clock on

the only purchase that surprised me was when we bought woodgate. That one made me think "brick, we mean business if we are going to risk all that kind of money on an injury prone player thats coming to 29"

how much did we pay for him in the end?

Higuain was so good.. he only then ended up being a starter due to Van Nistelrooys injuries., Madrid thought so highly of him they went out and bought huntelaar for 20m in 08, then 85m on Ronaldo, 30m on Benzema and 5m on negredo in 09.. They even had time to bring in Adebayor for a fricken loan season in 2010 season. :lol:

LOL

dreams can come true...you know you got ta have em , you know ya gat ta be strooooOOOonnG...ungh. Get down and booogie...

i dont think so

the soldado asset will not be sold for purchase value, he would have to contribute world class levels to do that...otherwise all you have is an asset thats rapidly approaching the wrong side of 29/30. Depreciation will set in with this particular asset STRAIGHT AWAY.

if he performs to Van persie or bale levels and makes a distinct and significant impact , THEN we are talking getting money back...or even ......turn a profit!!!

Where did I say Soldado would be the asset to get a return on? if we spend 65-70 mill this window, and it goes tits up next season, we will recover the extra spend with Bale next summer. This is absolutely a feasible train of thought for the club right now, given the realities of our financial position.

Soldado is not what this is about, it's about the fact we hold a massive, massive asset that 'could' cover the extra-spend.

n.b. Joe Lewis knows that his chances to maximize are dwindling and that we might not have a better opportunity in the next decade than the one we have right now.

didnt they release Soldado, sign him and then sell him again?

Baldini and Capello sent him on loan to gain experience and he came back and signed an extended deal. Capello was then sacked for political reasons. IMO Soldado didn't make it because he wasn't a Galatico.. Same reason Negredo didn't make it.

Higuain was so good.. he only then ended up being a starter due to Van Nistelrooys injuries., Madrid thought so highly of him they went out and bought huntelaar for 20m in 08, then 85m on Ronaldo, 30m on Benzema and 5m on negredo in 09.. They even had time to bring in Adebayor for a fricken loan season in 2010 season. :lol:

and Soldado was so good they replaced him in the team with Higuain who is was then replaced by Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Benzema, Negredo etc etc. I mean your point is so ludicrous and makes absolutely no sense being that you completely ignored the point i was making (again) and carried on with this "ohhh Madrid sold or replaced him so he must not be good" gonad*s.

I very much doubt you even know wtf you're talking about now tbh so i'll leave it at that loool.

Where did I say Soldado would be the asset to get a return on? if we spend 65-70 mill this window, and it goes tits up next season, we will recover the extra spend with Bale next summer. This is absolutely a feasible train of thought for the club right now, given the realities of our financial position.

Soldado is not what this is about, it's about the fact we hold a massive, massive asset that 'could' cover the extra-spend.

n.b. Joe Lewis knows that his chances to maximize are dwindling and that we might not have a better opportunity in the next decade than the one we have right now.

Massive risk though. Bale has a season under his last and his value drops significantly. He drops to two years on his contract and the pressure is on us to sell as if we don't we're going to have financial difficulties as we have wagered our future against him.

why would you want to do that in the first place? take into account we arent funded from a bottomless well, so taking a BIG risk on that kind of money is completely crazy...especially when you consider that our board operate on a smart business sense

i dont even know why i am trying to convince people of something that may or may not happen. All i know is that there has always been a model in place, its adjusted slightly but its still there and it was easy to clock on

the only purchase that surprised me was when we bought woodgate. That one made me think "brick, we mean business if we are going to risk all that kind of money on an injury prone player thats coming to 29"

how much did we pay for him in the end?

im not sure i follow mate? that's how we do things (as far as i am aware) look back at the last few times we spent big in one or two windows and then look at our financial reports for the following years - we spend big on paper if all is paid up front in one go but in reality the deals are spread out and serviced over the coming seasons. it makes perfect sense and allows us to spend money we don't physically have laying around but can manage based on our revenue

Valencia president Amadeo Salvo has told Tottenham they will have to meet Roberto Soldado's 30million euro release clause if they want to land the Spain international.

Spurs head coach Andre Villas-Boas confirmed earlier on Tuesday that the Premier League side were interested in striker Soldado as they look to strengthen their options up front.

Spurs' director of football Franco Baldini travelled to Valencia on Monday to meet with the club and the player's representative, but they are yet to agree a deal, with the Primera Division side refusing to lower their asking price.

Salvo said: "Soldado can go if he wants - for €30million and under our conditions.

"Valencia never had any intention of selling Soldado. If he goes then it is because the €30million figure has been met, not a cent less or a cent more.

[B]"The buying club will also have to accept Valencia's conditions of payment also.[/B]

"We agreed to meet Tottenham again to discuss the ways of paying and we did that because we understood that his buy-out clause would be met.

"Speaking about ways that deals are paid is normal and this will be done in a way that suits the financial department of Valencia and not that of any other clubs."

Any deal for the Spain international at £25.8million would break Spurs' transfer record and Villas-Boas stated earlier on Tuesday that the 28-year-old is on their radar.

"At the moment, he's just one of the players we are interested in," said Villas-Boas at a press conference in Hong Kong.

"It's not a lie to anybody that we've been looking for a striker to strengthen our squad and to have more strength in depth.

"Roberto is one of the players we have been following and his career speaks for itself. He's a great striker.

"But there isn't a deal being struck at the moment, it's just interest and conversations."

--------

Reading too much into it???

Last edited:
"Soldado can go if he wants - for €30million and under our conditions.

"Valencia never had any intention of selling Soldado. If he goes then it is because the €30million figure has been met, not a cent less or a cent more.

"We agreed to meet Tottenham again to discuss the ways of paying and we did that because we understood that his buy-out clause would be met.

"The buying club will also have to accept Valencia's conditions of payment also"

"Speaking about ways that deals are paid is normal and this will be done in a way that suits the financial department of Valencia and not that of any other clubs."

the quotes, alone read to me as though negotiations are on going and Valencia are doing a good job of playing hardball - they have admitted he can go for the right price - which they say is €30m. sounds like they have rejected our opening offer but no quotes to back that up.

Some lad on twitter posting some proper old school zokora like ITK. On way back from Valencia with his chelsea supporting mate, Baldini on same flight as them...easyjet!Which is quite funny (typical Levy). Got photo with Baldini as proof, asked about Soldado and he said 'should be done'.

and Soldado was so good they replaced him in the team with Higuain who is was then replaced by Van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Benzema, Negredo etc etc. I mean your point is so ludicrous and makes absolutely no sense being that you completely ignored the point i was making (again) and carried on with this "ohhh Madrid sold or replaced him so he must not be good" gonad*s.

I very much doubt you even know wtf you're talking about now tbh so i'll leave it at that loool.

You based your opinion on Madrid preferring Higuain

No he's a better player. His emergence is one of the main reasons Madrid shipped out Soldado, because they felt Higuain is the better player.

I'm telling you Madrid haven't got a clue based on your reasoning.. Otherwise if you we're right why continually look to replace Higuain with the list I mentioned.

Soldado left because he was not a Galatico... not because Higuain was better, Soldado was brought through the ranks and didn't have the big money mystique Madrid presidents yearn.. Raul was also keeping him out of the side... Not Higuain.

"Soldado can go if he wants - for €30million and under our conditions.

"The buying club will also have to accept Valencia's conditions of payment also"

the quotes, alone read to me as though negotiations are on going and Valencia are doing a good job of playing hardball - they have admitted he can go for the right price - which they say is €30m. sounds like they have rejected our opening offer but no quotes to back that up.

I say uncle Joe buys the debt from the bank Valencia owe the money to.. And calls it in.

looks like Levy may have to eat a bit old slice of Levy pie - seems he has met his match.

pay the fee, shake hands and say "well done". im sure Levy (begrudgingly) will respect the Valencia stance.

re Higuain (or anyone else for that matter) not making it at Real - im not sure any player can be judged in a balanced manner at Real. It is such a political circus from top to bottom, that ability is not what defines you at Real. If anything, the fact Higuain has lasted so long says a lot (positively) about his ability. Not sure exactly what, if anything, it says about his character.

The transfer market is messed up. £25m for Soldado aged 28 is a lot. I think KD is right if we were going to pay tat then maybe we should have gone with Benteke (even though he was also overpriced)

Back