• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Repetitive bickering and point scoring about money and our transfer policy

Re: **Official Other Games Thread, Season 2012/13**

This thread. :lol:

On that note the Mods seem to have taken a few days off..

i don't think it's got too out of hand tbf - probably not far away from full melt down though

He was for one season about 2 years ago

But this was said a few days ago about the current Valencia, I believe by Charlieyid who doesn't seem to like anyone but lloris

I would argue Lennon is technically superior and offers some ability on his weaker foot

minimally superior on both counts.

right now Valenica is in wretched form, and Lennon when fully fit of course looks the better player. However both at the best, imo I dont see much of a difference.

Re: what has happened to the transfer section?

interesting to look at what Arse and Tottenham have spent and recouped in the PL era (20 years)

Tottenham

Spent - £473,550,000.......recouped - £306,017,500........net - £167,532,500

Arse

Spent - £393,390,000.......recouped - £363,174,000........net - £30,216,000

so its not all about spending=success :-k

interesting to look at what Arse and Tottenham have spent and recouped in the PL era (20 years)

Tottenham

Spent - £473,550,000.......recouped - £306,017,500........net - £167,532,500

Arse

Spent - £393,390,000.......recouped - £363,174,000........net - £30,216,000

so its not all about spending=success :-k

They paid wages.

they massively outspend us when you take wages in to account.

(which is fair enough as they earn that money)

since the move to the new stadium yes they have spent more in wages......but from 92- 2005??? anyone with figures?

They've always paid higher wages. Campbell didnt move there for no reason.
Look at this http://abehnisch.com/arsenal-wage-bill-history/
In 2003 their wages were 60m compared to out 20somethingm, In fact Arsenals wages in 1998 where equal to ours in 2003.

We don't, none of us do (no matter how many times people have gone over the yearly financial reports).

Personally i'm just very annoyed with our chairmans actions since summer 2010 (regarding his transfer business).

2010/11 = We dreamt of Aguero, Lewandowski, Cavani....i mean anything was possible in terms of attracting players now we finally made the CL. Sandro was secured a few month prior to the summer so we had a whole summer to bring in the level of quality required to really push on. Nothing is done until late August where we secure the signature of William Gallas to which i think "ok yes he will give us the experience needed at the back and will hopefully compliment Ledders too". We then do absolutely nothing until VDV is thrown our way on deadline day in a cut price deal. So if that didn't happen, our chairman was content to start the CL season with the sole summer signing of William Gallas...deary me (hell even AVB with his comments now seems to be under the impression that CL money will equate to more money spent but not with Daniel.

2011/12 (January window) = Arry declares he wants 2 signings. We all knew who they were because Arry is a big mouth that informed us via the media (remy and Samba). We've built up a massive massive lead in 3rd place and need that extra something to pretty much guarantee CL football. Arry even says that he's sure we will finish third if he's given the cash needed to bring in one of his targets. What does Levy do? oh Levy waits until deadline day again and secures us Saha and nelson. People continuously stated that "why should Levy let Arry spend the cash when he might not be here", or "he's saving the cash for the new manager" etc etc....hmmmm maybe he can give Arry the cash so he secures us CL footy?

2012/13 (January window) = AGain we're 3rd/4th...need that extra spark to really push on. Does that, as well as the 2 previous **** ups convince Levy to spend? nah of course not. He does nothing again and we look like we're not getting CL football.

Just so infuriating (and you can bet that a hell of a lot of posters on Feb 1st felt the same way).

People need to stop believing the ITK hype that is trumped out ever transfer window by attention seeking idiots.
We cant afford the wages of these players. Levy isnt going to to a Ridsdale and bet the future of the club on a Champion's League Dream. We get an extra 20m from the champion's league , he's not gonna overspend in an attempt to get 20m!

Last edited:

People need to stop believing the ITK hype that is trumped out ever transfer window by attention seeking idiots.
We cant afford the wages of these players. Levy isnt going to to a Ridsdale and bet the future of the club on a Champion's League Dream. We get an extra 20m from the champion's league , he's not gonna overspend in an attempt to get 20m!

thats why suggestions of Jordan Rhodes and Adam Le Fondre should not be so quickly shot down in flames. Right now we wont be able to afford anyone more expensive

Is it JUST 20m though? It isnt. Being in the CL on a continuous basis means the opportunities for bringing in extra revenue through sponsorship, for the kits and stadium, increases. So its not JUST 20m but actually a brickload more.

I agree though I wouldnt want us to bet our future, although isnt that hedged by the fact we have a 40-60m asset in Bale? So worst case scenario we sell him, which would happen if we arent showin ambition anyways.

Is it JUST 20m though? It isnt. Being in the CL on a continuous basis means the opportunities for bringing in extra revenue through sponsorship, for the kits and stadium, increases. So its not JUST 20m but actually a brickload more.

I agree though I wouldnt want us to bet our future, although isnt that hedged by the fact we have a 40-60m asset in Bale? So worst case scenario we sell him, which would happen if we arent showin ambition anyways.

you cant guarantee that though......and for risk averse Levy its too big a thought to handle

since the move to the new stadium yes they have spent more in wages......but from 92- 2005??? anyone with figures?

They would still have spent significantly more on wages throughout that time. They always had a slightly bigger ground and for alot of the 90s we had a reduced capacity due to the rebuilding of the Shelf, South and North stands. They have always had champions league money and tv revenue since 1997 and that allowed them to pay higher wages than us even through those early years.

until we are in a position to regularly qualify for the Champions League, as you say, those extra financial benefits will not come to us - while the big 4 operate on budgets vastly greater than ours we cannot take qualification for granted as the following season whoever we usurp can go out and spend stacks of cash to get themselves back in front of us (Chelsea last summer for example??). so really, in my mind, there is not much sense in 'gambling' on getting in the top 4. we should be looking to maximizing our potential as a club (without taking risks) and making sure that when the opportunity presents itself to over take one of the established sides we are ready and waiting to take advantage.

until we are in a position to regularly qualify for the Champions League, as you say, those extra financial benefits will not come to us - while the big 4 operate on budgets vastly greater than ours we cannot take qualification for granted as the following season whoever we usurp can go out and spend stacks of cash to get themselves back in front of us (Chelsea last summer for example??). so really, in my mind, there is not much sense in 'gambling' on getting in the top 4. we should be looking to maximizing our potential as a club (without taking risks) and making sure that when the opportunity presents itself to over take one of the established sides we are ready and waiting to take advantage.

How do you propose we get ourselves in that position without signing quality players?

where did i say we shouldn't be signing quality players?

Your post/s clearly insinuate it. You say we should not "gamble" to get in the top 4, we shouldn't "take risks". So how do you propose we make sure we grab the opportunity of overtaking one of the established sides? what is your proposal on how we do that because what you're currently doing right now is proposing the obvious but not giving examples on how we do that.

hopefully Levy is just as understanding with AVB if we fail to get CL football in the next 2 or 3 years

Back