• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp Vs AVB vs Jol

Your favorite recent (successful) manager

• Jol

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Redknapp

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • AVB

Votes: 48 57.1%

• Total voters
Too many fans judge Redknapp on his unfortunate public persona. I couldn't give a monkeys about what he was like, it was how we performed on the pitch that mattered.

We played wonderful attacking football under BMJ and mainly thanks to Bale some great stuff last season also, but it was under Rednapp that we produced the most glorious football seen at WHL in the last five decades.

Too many fans judge Redknapp on his unfortunate public persona. I couldn't give a monkeys about what he was like, it was how we performed on the pitch that mattered.

We played wonderful attacking football under BMJ and mainly thanks to Bale some great stuff last season also, but it was under Rednapp that we produced the most glorious football seen at WHL in the last five decades.

Two end-of-season collapses probably didn't help, though. And I don't think most fans cared about his public persona before his 'never had it so good' comments after we finished fifth. Even then, though, it was only a minority of fans that were concerned by that. But when his public persona finally clashed with his performance on the job, i.e his dalliance with England and his loss of focus on the team he was actually managing at the time....that's when the light flickered out for most fans.

Two end-of-season collapses probably didn't help, though. And I don't think most fans cared about his public persona before his 'never had it so good' comments after we finished fifth. Even then, though, it was only a minority of fans that were concerned by that. But when his public persona finally clashed with his performance on the job, i.e his dalliance with England and his loss of focus on the team he was actually managing at the time....that's when the light flickered out for most fans.

Very solid summation of the situation Dubai.

I think, like for a lot of the fans, for Levy there was a combination of issues that in the end meant that Redknapp was gone.

So the fabulous football that went before it all counts for nothing? Sorry I'm just not buying that. If we're going to judge managers on their failures alone, where does that leave BMJ? AVB has only had one season at the helm. So far he has managed a team with an outstanding footballer, not one that plays outstanding football.

So the fabulous football that went before it all counts for nothing? Sorry I'm just not buying that. If we're going to judge managers on their failures alone, where does that leave BMJ? AVB has only had one season at the helm. So far he has managed a team with an outstanding footballer, not one that plays outstanding football.

You're seeing something in his post that I for one cannot see.

What about his post made it sound like he was saying that the fabulous football that went before it counts for nothing? Or that we should judge managers on their failures alone?

This is a comparison of their respective Premier League records:

André Villas-Boas
Played: 38
Won: 21
Winning Percentage: 55.26%
Overall Record: 72 points from 114 available = 63.16%

Harry Redknapp
Played: 144
Won: 71
Winning Percentage: 49.31%
Overall Record: 250 points from 432 available = 57.87%

Martin Jol
Played: 114
Won: 47
Winning Percentage: 41.23%
Overall Record: 171 points from 342 available = 50.00%

Tottenham Hotspur Manager's Records & Statistics 1898-2013

now that's evidence!

You're seeing something in his post that I for one cannot see.

What about his post made it sound like he was saying that the fabulous football that went before it counts for nothing? Or that we should judge managers on their failures alone?

It might have helped if in his response Dubai had at least doffed his cap to Redknapp's achievements and the quality of footie we produced during his tenure. The implication in his response was that at the end of the day what really counts is those two flat spells. Whereas for me the brilliant stuff we played under him will sparkle in the memory long after the other stuff has been forgotten.

It might have helped if in his response Dubai had at least doffed his cap to Redknapp's achievements and the quality of footie we produced during his tenure. The implication in his response was that at the end of the day what really counts is those two flat spells. Whereas for me the brilliant stuff we played under him will sparkle in the memory long after the other stuff has been forgotten.

Seems to me that you inferred it rather than it being something he implied.

I really don't think at this point every post discussing Redknapp, his persona or his dismissal needs to be qualified with a doff of the cap.

have to agree with The braineclipse on the finances...have been through the swiss ramble and crossed it with the annual reports. now while i dont see redknapp as being backed like i perceive avb to be, we cant say that avb has been backed two windows running without seeing what we get back by the end of summer

looking back on most of the figures its all showcased by the end of the football transfer windows..and they dont match up with the financial year either...makes it hard to asses a period for monetary performance from football related trading and infrastructure.

How do you finance wizz do it?

This is a comparison of their respective Premier League records:

André Villas-Boas
Played: 38
Won: 21
Winning Percentage: 55.26%
Overall Record: 72 points from 114 available = 63.16%

Harry Redknapp
Played: 144
Won: 71
Winning Percentage: 49.31%
Overall Record: 250 points from 432 available = 57.87%

Martin Jol
Played: 114
Won: 47
Winning Percentage: 41.23%
Overall Record: 171 points from 342 available = 50.00%

Tottenham Hotspur Manager's Records & Statistics 1898-2013

I expect AVB's stats to SIGNIFICANTLY improve this term.

Rose's interview should have been an eye-opener for some. AVB picks his players on form.

Last edited:
have to agree with The braineclipse on the finances...have been through the swiss ramble and crossed it with the annual reports. now while i dont see redknapp as being backed like i perceive avb to be, we cant say that avb has been backed two windows running without seeing what we get back by the end of summer

looking back on most of the figures its all showcased by the end of the football transfer windows..and they dont match up with the financial year either...makes it hard to asses a period for monetary performance from football related trading and infrastructure.

How do you finance wizz do it?

Taking time to evaluate evidence presented for an opposing viewpoint followed by modifying your own view?

Are you aware that this is the internet sir? Yellow card! ;)

Taking time to evaluate evidence presented for an opposing viewpoint followed by modifying your own view?

Are you aware that this is the internet sir? Yellow card! ;)

i havent totally abandoned what i was saying though, i still dont think harry was properly backed....so before i throw in the towel...i still need to see how much we get back this summer;) ...but the evidence is there to see ..that site is a must read i reckon for anyone that wants to have the fundamental introduction into how clubs work financially

i havent totally abandoned what i was saying though, i still dont think harry was properly backed....so before i throw in the towel...i still need to see how much we get back this summer;) ...but the evidence is there to see ..that site is a must read i reckon for anyone that wants to have the fundamental introduction into how clubs work financially

I only said that you had modified your view, not that you'd completely changed it :)

How about that chap that guided us to cc victory over our London neighbours ? The only thing we've won, followed by a collapse in the league ? We almost beat manyoo at home. Shame about the English si senor Ramos ? Arry got us playing our best footy at times, but also left us vulnerable (see semi fa v chavs). AvB has given us a bit of steel, jury's still out, but missing out on CL by a point is excellent and getting that lad Bale to score a few goals here and there- not bad at all.

How about that chap that guided us to cc victory over our London neighbours ? The only thing we've won, followed by a collapse in the league ? We almost beat manyoo at home. Shame about the English si senor Ramos ? Arry got us playing our best footy at times, but also left us vulnerable (see semi fa v chavs). AvB has given us a bit of steel, jury's still out, but missing out on CL by a point is excellent and getting that lad Bale to score a few goals here and there- not bad at all.

Anyone who says they did not enjoy the 5-1 Arsenal or the Chelsea final more than losing in the ECL need their bumps felt.

Last edited:
Jol deffo got the good times rolling, twas the berba man love. I forget, was he in charge during lasagne gate ?

It's a valid arguement that Redknapp took the league seriously but ignored some of the cups. Ramos did the opposite. He wanted to preserve his precious reputation in the Europa League, even if that meant sacrificing our best defender in the league games when we were bottom of the league and playing him in Europe instead, complete madness.

Back