• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp Vs AVB vs Jol

Your favorite recent (successful) manager

• Jol

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Redknapp

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • AVB

Votes: 48 57.1%

• Total voters
I voted for AVB, but following this window, he probably has the most to live up to as he has received the biggest backing and probably will have the best overall squad (in terms of balance as well as quality) of any of them. So the pressure on him is to succeed. Success this season will be top 4 and a serious trophy challenge (obviously luck has a big part to play in cup competitions and I can't see us quite winning the league, so i'm not going to demand a trophy, but I would accept a decent run in all the cups and I would only accept knock-out by an equal or bettter opponent as an acceptable failure).

AVB has the tools to bring success to the club, so it's up to him to use them. So really i'd like this poll to be done at the end of this season as both Redknapp and Jol had a few seasons with which to be judged. I don't think last year's team was AVB's ideal team, but he really can't complain this year. So let's see what he can do with what he has wanted (and has been given).

The question asking 'your favourite' made this very easy for me - Jol by a country mile. Had it been worded slightly differently, my answer may possibly have differed too......

I really like AVB and given time he will be a great manager (hopefully at WHL). That said not since Bill Nicholson have I been as happy being a Spurs fan as I was when Jol was in charge. Loved the man and the atmosphere around the club under his tenure.

I voted for Martin Jol. Top bloke who played good football and kicked us on from being a mid table side aiming for a top half finish to a side competing for the top four, and we were very unlucky not to get it in the lasagne season.

Redknapp I liked, he played decent football but he got to hooked on getting the England job, and from what players have said he didn't practice set pieces at all which I think was a bit ancient.

AVB seems aa very modern manager and has brought a lot to us and you can see that he wasn't afraid to get rid of some big names to start building his own squad to play the style he likes. He clearly knows what sort of football he wants us to play here and is determined to get them whilst retaning the ones he views as invaluable, such as Bale. However, BMJ started the ball rolling and for that I will always have massive respect.

So they were forced to back him financially because of the threat of relegation so it doesn't count?

I get the sums the same place as everyone else, based on what is reported in the media and put up on websites. They are estimates for sure and can obviously be off in either direction, but I don't think they're likely to be off by a massive amount to where the argument becomes invalid.

Crouch was reported as around £9m, Bassong around £8m, the Kyles around £6-8m combined and Kranjcar around £2.5m. If you want to argue about the details of these deals I'm not really interested, feel free to drop the estimates in my posts by 25% and I think my arguments still stand.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/search/label/Tottenham%20Hotspur

For agent fees and lack of profit in recent years. Net spend estimate explained above. There has been a profit in some years (latest 2009 I think), but then mainly from selling players - fiscal years don't rally line up with transfer windows and all that.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2011/12/tottenham-grounds-for-optimism-or.html

This article isn't exactly 100% up to date, but provides some interesting background to our financial situation.

I will await my evaluation of this window until the window actually closes. Particularly when talking about the absence of recouping money.

of course it doesnt count. What kind of chairman hires a war time manager to get him out of the worst situation imaginable and then leaves him with no help. cut off your nose to spite your whole life that would sound like. no the real litmus test is how much you back someone when you dont have to. not when you need to

Jeez...no one is arguing about any details so dont get defensive before i've even started but you just claimed that 4 players, 2 of which were deals worked on before Harry joined, all of whom were more like squad players.....in a year where we pretty much got the money back and none of whom you've mentioned went over 9million counts as backing a dude. If thats what you call it then we really blew our load with AVB not once , but two summers running to a tune and amount which is basically incomprehensible in comparison to what we did for Harry in a neutral window when the boards hand wasnt forced.

You know what, just for the fun of it cause you allowed it ;)...lets indeed drop the estimates by 25%.....you count 7 mill for crouch , 6 for bass and 4.5 for the kyles as backing? that just means that you are used to us being good and prudent with money.....no wonder you thought redknapp got a backing with those figures.....wonder what AVB is getting with TWO record purchases in one window... some how i dont think that is in the same league as the other coaches

but thanks for the links...i'll chew over that later in the day dude

first thing that sticks out in the first link...we acutally made a profit on footballing trades.....a net purchase of 6 million. its funny that...cause i looked at the official site....and such was the case in 2010/11..or was is 2009/10? have to look again. both times we didnt even reach the sum total that we have spent on the tottenham transfer record this season..and if we drop prices by 25 % ..crouch , bass, the kyles...altogether are just a tad more than paulinho.

that link is kind of long BE......i'll do my best to get through the whole lot

edit:- on first skim i cant see information on agent fees. as in with any real details mate....not in the first link at anyway

Last edited:
I like all of them for different reasons and it is difficult to discuss this with AVB involved because he has only been here for one season and is the current incumbent which will also cloud the opinion.

I think Jol was very good for us within that period although I am not so sure he would be as good for us now with the sort of players we have. I think we were perhaps about his level when we were where we were. He also didn't always make the best buys but I accept it was a balancing act as well considering players that he might want possibly wouldn't have considered us attractive enough to join at the time.

Redknapp came in and I think we were all probably surprised at his impact overall but especially in that first season. Almost immediately we started playing good football and looked strong at home. I think we went 5 months without conceding a goal at WHL from early Jan 2009 to the last day of the season. We then kicked on and the next season and a half played some really nice football and generally looked unbeatable at home. I would say that in hindsight, the run we had in the Champions League was Redknapp's swansong if you like. As good as we were in the first half of 2011/12, it was marred with all the Modric rumours, his heart issue, the court case and the England job. I think we can also see that Levy was obviously keeping a very tight rein on the purse strings given our subsequent and previous investments. That possibly hindered what Harry wanted to do but I can why it was the case given some of his targets like Joe Cole who would have been no good for us in terms of stepping upto the next level and could have burdened us financially.

With AVB, it is all still in process tbh. I think for a first season he did generally well especially given our points total. Arsenal overtaking us was different this year becuase we didnt collapse - in our last 8 I think we won 4 and drew 4 which is a decent enough retrun while they won 7 from 8 which you can't legislate for. He also had to deal with Modric going and basically replacing our heartbeat which he has done quite well. Ive been pleased with our ability to comeback and how strong we look away but we haven't looked anywhere near as good at home which is the main disappointment for me.

Was one of his biggest faults, not using the squad propely.

how could he have used it better? not saying he couldnt have, but you saying its one of his biggest faults clearly shows you have an opinion on what he could have done

i will say that i agree in the league he didnt rotate much, but then ...would you have been happy if he did? (actually dont latch on to that second statement...i would really like to know how he could have used the squad better)

how could he have used it better? not saying he couldnt have, but you saying its one of his biggest faults clearly shows you have an opinion on what he could have done

i will say that i agree in the league he didnt rotate much, but then ...would you have been happy if he did? (actually dont latch on to that second statement...i would really like to know how he could have used the squad better)

When Lennon was out injured how many times did he play the flank players we had in the squad ( Townsend, Rose) instead we had to see Nicko, VDV, Modric play there.

When Lennon was out injured how many times did he play the flank players we had in the squad ( Townsend, Rose) instead we had to see Nicko, VDV, Modric play there.

thats your issue with the rotation? the fact that that he didnt play a flank player there? did you hate it when niko played on the left ? or modric? the year we qualified for the CL and spanked teams all over the gaff too?...those guys were not flank players and they did more than fine there...infact i remember quite a few of us asking for like for like replacements there...playmakers on the flank.

i thought you were actually talking about squad rotation...not first 11 selection/choices.

Last edited:
thats your issue with the rotation? the fact that that he didnt play a flank player there? did you hate it when niko played on the left ? or modric? the year we qualified for the CL and spanked teams all over the gaff too?...those guys were not flank players and they did more than fine there...infact i remember quite a few of us asking for like for like replacements there...playmakers on the flank.

i thought you were actually talking about squad rotation...not first 11 selection/choices.

Well let me ask you a question, do you think Redknapp made full use of the squad?

Harry had a lot of flaws but he built a very good side, one that was full of character and was great to watch. The current side is dire in comparison and Bale masked what was/is a very mediocre outfit.

Well then we agree.
no we dont, unless all you are saying is that redknapp didnt make full use of the squad.

good to know though that AVB is just as bad as harry is, maybe even worse...AVB flogs dead horses into annihilation.

I take it back, yes , we agree on all the above

Last edited:
no we dont, unless all you are saying is that redknapp didnt make full use of the squad.

good to know though that AVB is just as bad as harry is, maybe even worse...AVB flogs dead horses into annihilation.

I take it back, yes , we agree on all the above

I think you need to go and have a lie down, your prattling.

Back