• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp Vs AVB vs Jol

Your favorite recent (successful) manager

• Jol

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Redknapp

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • AVB

Votes: 48 57.1%

• Total voters

sebse

Rohan Ricketts
For me the most exciting football we played was under Redknapp in his last two seasons, where we could tip a game on its head in a second, putting the game to bed with two counter attacking goals. I loved watching Spurs then, knowing we didn't need to play well to win, and didn't really need to graft out games since we could score out of nothing (when Ade was on fire and when Sir Alex said we played the best footie in the league). The memories here are also tinged with a bright hue of Champions League underdog glory.

Jol arguably had the toughest task of turning Spurs into genuine CL contenders, a feat that withstood all before who tried. We played attractive attacking minded footie here too. He was my favourite character of all the managers in the last decade, especially in comparison to his predecessor.

The thing that has pleased me most about AVB (apart from he fame in bringing players to the club), is that we developed a late goal mentality - which was very unSpurslike. I don't find our footie as attractive as the above two managers, but we started doing things we never did before - things which always grated at our nerves like never scoring from Free kicks.

I am still left to wonder what would have happened if Redknapp would have stayed on - because I am convinced we would have only got better and better, from the 4th that we finished that year. I had real high hopes for the season to follow - thinking it would bring more fluidity and goal of the months.
------------------------------
Who shares / rebukes this viewpoint?

Last edited:
Why do you think we would only have gotten better?

Many teams under many managers quite have reached a peak in their performance then regress until the manager is later fired or quits.

We did play the best football in the league for around half a season, but the end of Redknapp's last season looked nowhere near as good. What makes you so sure that we would have bounced back to the very best we saw under Redknapp without one of the best and most important players during his reign (Modric)?

I don't quite understand your point about not needing to graft out wins when you also say that we didn't need to play well to win. Isn't winning without playing well fairly similar to grafting out a win?

Harry for me in terms of excitement. We had great width and pace on the counter. Plus modric and vdv were classy on the ball

I liked Jol the most but Harry's team was the best, he took his eye off the ball though and it cost us big time.

Under Redknapp we only looked really good in the first half of his last two seasons and judging by the players he wanted to sign I think we would have declined.

Why do you think we would only have gotten better?

Many teams under many managers quite have reached a peak in their performance then regress until the manager is later fired or quits.

We did play the best football in the league for around half a season, but the end of Redknapp's last season looked nowhere near as good. What makes you so sure that we would have bounced back to the very best we saw under Redknapp without one of the best and most important players during his reign (Modric)?

I don't quite understand your point about not needing to graft out wins when you also say that we didn't need to play well to win. Isn't winning without playing well fairly similar to grafting out a win?

The Spurs of old when we used to play the more attractive football on the pitch, have dozens of attempts on goal - but come away with nothing - imprinted on me scars of injustice. Then all of a sudden, we play West Brom away and Fulham away, get battered most of the match but win by 2 clear goals, all in the flash of an eye - 2 goals coming in quick succession I think in both of those games. It was very refreshing to be on the other side of the so called 'injustice' I was experiencing.

Yes, I'm not sure when the Modric deal was really done, but I think they fired Redknapp before Modric went(?) Even so, yes nothing is guaranteed for sure, but that was the velocity we were headed from when Redknapp took over - so it was just my intuiton (and of course my hope). I also hoped that with our highest every achievements in the premier league - that we would not fall back down into another transitional period but bloom up into success.

Its a shame there seems to be a slight conspiracy to always distract Spurs when they threaten to succeed at something - Redknapp and the England job, now the Bale saga.

Can we ever settle at Tottenham?

all good managers.

The only difference is that i think AVB is the first one that actually has the fortune to work under the right DoF and is the only one that has the true backing of Levy and the Board.

I have always said this, AVB is levy's boy. Levy will take care of him and make him feel goooood

Jol was probably the most likeable of the three, has the job of making us best of the rest (gap was still too wide to say he made us truly CL contenders)
Harry's team was the most exciting to watch, he (generalization) played fairly simply and relied on individual brilliance from certain key players (Harry could have improved, but only by spending)
AVB is the guy I respect the most, intelligent/articulate/promising, he more than the other two is obviously trying to create a system/style that potentially can make the sum greater than the parts.

People need to look around, the days of managers being at clubs for even 5+ seasons is pretty much gone.

Under Redknapp we only looked really good in the first half of his last two seasons and judging by the players he wanted to sign I think we would have declined.
how do you know who he wanted though? The stuff in the press perhaps? you cant be sure..especially considering names that he said he wanted that he wasnt given the go ahead to get. demebele being one of them

i cant quite remember who said something about press and rumours and gonad*s.

cant quite put my finger on the name.

Meh.... but anyway, we all have opinions...i disagree with this one to be honest

Most Likeable -- Jol
Best football -- Redknapp
Best team - AVB

I think it's personal opinion. PERSONALLY, I voted for AVB because I can see a bright bright future here. He's doing everything right at the club and I'm just really excited, I love how deep he is into his job and I can't wait to see what the upcoming season brings.

Jol had gone as far as he could with us in my opinion. He was never going to be the one to push us to where we are now but he started it.

So they say, he also wanted Carlton Cole, Joe Cole, Anton Ferdinand, Phil Neville etc.

Well I'm just going by what Harry himself said. I don't think he ever said anything about Carlton Cole or Anton Ferdinand but yeah he wanted the other two, he had his flaws but I think he built a very good, attractive footballing side and one that could've been even better with a bit more backing. The current team are dreadful to watch.

Players such as?

He wanted Rossi .. Mata ... Cazorla ...

Some of you love the guy too much, so not much point in getting into this, but the player turnover needed to keep a Redknapp team going is way too high for us to have maintained the level we were at for much longer. There's no way we could have afforded the fees or the wages in the longer term. I don't care much for 'who wanted who?' debates, but IMO many of the players we went after were not Harry targets, but two players that were truly HIS targets were Samba and Remy. Neither would have done much for us.

Some of you love the guy too much, so not much point in getting into this, but the player turnover needed to keep a Redknapp team going is way too high for us to have maintained the level we were at for much longer. There's no way we could have afforded the fees or the wages in the longer term. I don't care much for 'who wanted who?' debates, but IMO many of the players we went after were not Harry targets, but two players that were truly HIS targets were Samba and Remy. Neither would have done much for us.

every thing here is an opinion thankfully, you dont actually know

you are right, this dance has been done to death and most of the participants know which 'side' we were on. As such i'll be taking these opinions with a mountain's layer of Hot sauce;)

Back