• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Sunderland

As I and others have said before possession is useless for its own sake. When in possession we need to try and stretch the opposition, pull them out of shape. Otherwise we just end up with what happened yesterday.

Parker has his uses - especially when teams throw the kitchen sink at us, but will serve little purpose when up against a team sitting deep and letting us have the ball.

Well there are a lot of Football Managers that disagree with you. It's better to have pointless possession than not have the ball.

Jurgen, I just want to say that I appreciate that you have actually debate the point and not resorted to calling me a WUM or other names. A lot of people cannot take it when Parker is criticised for some reason. I just want to know why a man who has barely been with us for 2/3rds of a Season gets more love than players like King. I'm not saying that i'm right nor wrong but I appreciate that you are actually interested in arguing your view rather than having a go at me.

Well there are a lot of Football Managers that disagree with you. It's better to have pointless possession than not have the ball.
Sometimes it may be good to let the other team have possession like sunderland, so we can counterattack them. We weren't playing a team like arsenal or swansea who would play triangles. We could have sat back let them have it then won the ball back and initiated a quick attack, that might be the one way of breaking down a stubborn teams

He's not as good as Scholes, Keane or the other players you mentioned, I've never claimed he was and I don't think many others have either. He was getting the ball to Modric in the first half of the season, but like many of our players, he has been off form in many games since January. He had a poor game yesterday, but Sandro was far worse. At least Parker didn't get booked or nearly gift the ball to Sessegnon which would have put us in serious brick.

I don't know why he keeps being compared to them either. No one has ever said he is as good as them. If his doubters said to win the league we need a better version of the player he is, I'd be inclined to agree. But to constantly put him down when he clearly has been an important player for us smacks of them hating being proved wrong about signing him. Have you noticed how most Parker doubters are Redknapp doubters too? Strange that....

Anyway, maybe I'll start playing their game too. We have to get rid of Modric because he isn't as good as Hoddle was. Bale has to go because he doesn't score as many as Ronaldo. VDV is complete brick because he is no Messi.....

Sometimes it may be good to let the other team have possession like sunderland, so we can counterattack them. We weren't playing a team like arsenal or swansea who would play triangles. We could have sat back let them have it then won the ball back and initiated a quick attack, that might be the one way of breaking down a stubborn teams

Our approach play against Sunderland was perfect. The problem we had against Sunderland was that Ade was left too isolated (mainly because Modric, Bale and VDV didn't get up to support centrally enough) and because the final ball (mainly Walker and Ekotto from the flanks) was generally appalling. Up until the final third, we played perfectly. We were patient, we probed, we prodded, we got in crosses, we earned ourselves dangerous set pieces.

I don't know why he keeps being compared to them either. No one has ever said he is as good as them. If his doubters said to win the league we need a better version of the player he is, I'd be inclined to agree. But to constantly put him down when he clearly has been an important player for us smacks of them hating being proved wrong about signing him. Have you noticed how most Parker doubters are Redknapp doubters too? Strange that....

Anyway, maybe I'll start playing their game too. We have to get rid of Modric because he isn't as good as Hoddle was. Bale has to go because he doesn't score as many as Ronaldo. VDV is complete brick because he is no Messi.....
I was going along the angle of him being a leader like Keane or Vieira, players who drag there teams and inspire them across the finishing line. If we bought him for his inspirational leadership skills he doesn't seem to show that. He does show good managerial skills though and will become a good manager.

I was going along the angle of him being a leader like Keane or Vieira, players who drag there teams and inspire them across the finishing line. If we bought him for his inspirational leadership skills he doesn't seem to show that. He does show good managerial skills though and will become a good manager.

May I ask how you know this? It's well known that the best leaders are great in the dressing room and in training, that's why the prep work is done. Do you have inside knowledge?

What managers exactly?

Not having the ball is not the only other option to pointless possession, is it?

Clough, Shankley, Fergie and practically every Brazilian manager in the history of their national team :lol:. Mourinho has cited that possession is king, and that the key part in any game is where the ball transfers between the two teams and the ultimate goal is to ensure your team doesn't transfer it back to the opposition. I am more inclined to agree with them than you. But there are also football managers who share your ethos that possession is over rated and not important. Pulis and Allardyce have both preached against it for example, with Fat Sam using technology to back his argument up.

Clough, Shankley, Fergie and practically every Brazilian manager in the history of their national team :lol:. Mourinho has cited that possession is king, and that the key part in any game is where the ball transfers between the two teams and the ultimate goal is to ensure your team doesn't transfer it back to the opposition. I am more inclined to agree with them than you. But there are also football managers who share your ethos that possession is over rated and not important. Pulis and Allardyce have both preached against it for example, with Fat Sam using technology to back his argument up.

Not old enough to comment on Clough and Shankley.

I would take their opinion over mine as well, but this isn't their opinion, but rather your impression of their opinion.

Possession is king in no way equals that possession for the sake of possession is a good thing.

As for Ferguson. How many times have you seen Ferguson be happy about sideways and backwards passes in their own half when they need a goal? I would guess 'not that often', mainly because United don't do that, because they don't keep possession for the sake of possession.

Turnovers are most certainly key parts and most teams in the world see those situations as key because it's a chance to counter attack while the opponents aren't organized. Most teams in the world do so quickly, because possession for the sake of possession while normally quite silly is outright horrendous in situations where a counter attack is on.

Most of those comments are in direct response to the fact that you put up the teams in which those players play as an example of why that kind of player is required.

Gio is a really brick Messi, does that mean we need to play Gio to be like Barca?

Most of those comments are in direct response to the fact that you put up the teams in which those players play as an example of why that kind of player is required.

Gio is a really brick Messi, does that mean we need to play Gio to be like Barca?

I merely contested the fact that successful teams can't have two defensive minded midfielders. They can. Modric is the odd one out when you do though for us because he keeps our momentum going but isn't enough of a threat going forward.

You miss the point. it is Modric's job (not Parkers or Sandros ) to be creative, make things happen. My gripe with him is that in these type of games he rarely if ever imposes himself. He doesnt run at teams, commit defenders, play incisive balls, make crucial assists, score match winning goals. With two sitting midfielders,and therefore shorn of his defensive duties, he must become the heartbeat of the side and make things happen further up the field. Unfortunately for us, he just doesnt.

Again, I am sick of asking when he has turned one point into three or no points into one from a KC or goal, particularly in the last quarter of games. No one seems to be able to answer this question. Today was just another day he failed to deliver for us in a tight game.

can i ask you something. how can modric be creative without much movement from his players?

Jurgen, I just want to say that I appreciate that you have actually debate the point and not resorted to calling me a WUM or other names. A lot of people cannot take it when Parker is criticised for some reason. I just want to know why a man who has barely been with us for 2/3rds of a Season gets more love than players like King. I'm not saying that i'm right nor wrong but I appreciate that you are actually interested in arguing your view rather than having a go at me.

People are just appreciative of his play during the season. I'm not saying he was the main reason why we had such a good first half of the season, but he was certainly a key ingredient. Yes I agree he is limited going forward, sometimes it's painful to watch him in the opposition's half, but he gives us steel that we have lacked for long time, provides protection for the back four, makes life easier for them and breaks up play better than any other midfielder in our squad. Palacios did very well when we first signed him, but he too was limited technically, but he was also far more reckless than Parker is and accumulated more yellow cards also.

And if players like King and Modric are praising him for making their lives easier, which can only help their game, then that's good enough for me.

Same way Teddy was. Pass into space and make the fudgers move!!

thats assuming that there is no one occupying the area/ space / zone he's passing into though. but when you have an ultra defensive team playing against you then surely you need movement from your team mates behind the opposition strikers/ midfielders and defenders to make anything happen

the other day people were jsut showing for the ball not really making any sort of movemnet with creative intent. people were coming short too much to receive the ball and not opening up passing lanes for ball players to get trhe ball to them

and van der vaart was kind of annoying me where he was picking the ball up from, although if the aim was for us not to lose as opposed to for us to win then i guess he did a good job. but if VDV is going to isolate Ade as much as that then bale and lennon need to break beyond the back line in BOTH a narrow and wide manner and provide far post options and then it would be luka breaking forward encouraging some kind of attack

seriously, i dont know what's going on but i sense fear or uncertainty in the dressing room / behind the scenes. going out there and keeping it tight was more than fine..but after the 60 minute mark i thought we would really start going for the win in a much more bold manner, but event though the personell change indicated that is what we were trying to do, the player on pitch behaviour didnt show it

honestly i think that modric would be FAR MORE influential if he were at arsenal or man united, where players make runs with REAL purpose and move around the pitch with a proper understanding of a team move to create good opportunities

modric cant be as creative as he can be with players acting out the parts of their madame tussauds counter parts

And if players like King and Modric are praising him for making their lives easier, which can only help their game, then that's good enough for me.

you dont believe in propaganda and 'positive press statements' then? not saying that parker is crap here ...far from it. just playing devils advocate abit. cant always go on what players say about their team mates

thats assuming that there is no one occupying the area/ space / zone he's passing into though. but when you have an ultra defensive team playing against you then surely you need movement from your team mates behind the opposition strikers/ midfielders and defenders to make anything happen

the other day people were jsut showing for the ball not really making any sort of movemnet with creative intent. people were coming short too much to receive the ball and not opening up passing lanes for ball players to get trhe ball to them

and van der vaart was kind of annoying me where he was picking the ball up from, although if the aim was for us not to lose as opposed to for us to win then i guess he did a good job. but if VDV is going to isolate Ade as much as that then bale and lennon need to break beyond the back line in BOTH a narrow and wide manner and provide far post options and then it would be luka breaking forward encouraging some kind of attack

seriously, i dont know what's going on but i sense fear or uncertainty in the dressing room / behind the scenes. going out there and keeping it tight was more than fine..but after the 60 minute mark i thought we would really start going for the win in a much more bold manner, but event though the personell change indicated that is what we were trying to do, the player on pitch behaviour didnt show it

honestly i think that modric would be FAR MORE influential if he were at arsenal or man united, where players make runs with REAL purpose and move around the pitch with a proper understanding of a team move to create good opportunities

modric cant be as creative as he can be with players acting out the parts of their madame tussauds counter parts

I'm not worried. The problem we had was more down to lack of quality crossing than anything else. The other problem is we need a midfielder like Poyet who runs beyond the forwards, who can have balls threaded to. Modric is meant to be that midfielder in our team but doesn't do it. I don't blame Modric, it's not his natural game. Modric isn't that creative in the final third and hasn't been since he has been at Spurs. What Modric is, is our key player in terms of retaining possession and getting the ball from our back third to the final third in excellent attacking positions. It's that final third where our players like the final ball. Walker and Ekotto's crossing are especially poor. Bale needs to stay wider left and deliver more crosses than he is currently doing.

Back