• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Lyon

Friedel - 6: Not much to do, but mostly solid (though he nearly gae away a penalty with some poor control; good to see him have the last laugh against the Lyon fans)
Walker - 4: This guy is now a BIG BIG liability and he is dragging Lennon down with him imo. Poor control and concentration (as usual)
Gallas - 6.5: Mostly solid, but often creative going forwards but poor control at times
Vertonghen - 7: Solid; good tackles and good positioning generally. Kept Gomis mostly quiet
BAE - 6.5: some heart in mouth moments but often with no support (unlike say Walker) and poor use of ball in good areas going forward
Lennon - 4: Poor control, but suffering from having to babysit Walker and not confident of making runs AND being found by Walker and others
Dembele - 6.5: often poor control and poor passing (missing Bale being free in the first half with acres to run into). Late goal earns him one mark.
Parker - 5.5.: poor passing, slows attacks down too much. Making Demebele a lesser palyer imo, but also babysitting Walker a little imo
Bale - 6.5: Tried hard but sometimes you wonder if he is too greedy at times (thoough with the often lack of options up front etc it's undersatndable)
Holtby - 7: Good first half, lesser second, but a trier (if often suffering from poor control and poor passing at times, not as bad as others though)
Ade - 6.5: Tried his best, but again feeding off scraps. Needs a goal and quick.

Dempsey - 5: Poor control in missing one of the few clear chances we created, but didn't hide as is usual with him
Siggy - 5: Tried but nothing going for him, though the passes to him were as awful as most of our passing tonight
Livermore - n/a too late to have a rating but that's twice in a week his late introduction has coincided with a late decisive goal:eek:\o/

We overall had the right strategy in play but our attacks were limited by the fact we were up against a team that wanted to counter-attack us and so we had our lack of a Modric/Moutinho type of playmaker exposed. Our simple lack of ball control, passing and movement was a worry though.

Play like that against the Spammers of the Gooners then we will get Hammered!

Good to see US scoring the last goals now though eh=D>

COYS

Last edited:
Unfortunately real games arent played out in make believe football land, that was a good solid professional performance that got us what we wanted. marks out of ten.....done enough!

Friedel 6

Walker 4
Gallas 7
Verts 6
Ekotto 5

Lennon 5
Parker 5
Dembele 7
Holtby 7
Bale 7

Ade 6

Can't believe some of the ratings for Friedel. Actually, I can believe it. Lloris did the exact same thing against Liverpool, but I don't remember people giving him 4's and 5's out of 10.

Ade slightly better today but still does not look like scoring, very worrying.

Well said.

Friedel 6

Walker 4
Gallas 7
Verts 6
Ekotto 5

Lennon 5
Parker 5
Dembele 7
Holtby 7
Bale 7

Ade 6

Can't believe some of the ratings for Friedel. Actually, I can believe it. Lloris did the exact same thing against Liverpool, but I don't remember people giving him 4's and 5's out of 10.
Ade slightly better today but still does not look like scoring, very worrying.

Nothing to do all game, but when called upon does some weird scuff straight to the opposition and then leaves a leg out when the player goes past.

I'm not into the whole Friedel/Lloris thing tbh. But if a keeper fails to deal with something the only time he's called upon then he will get marked down.

Nothing to do all game, but when called upon does some weird scuff straight to the opposition and then leaves a leg out when the player goes past.

I'm not into the whole Friedel/Lloris thing tbh. But if a keeper fails when he fails to deal with something the only time he's called upon then he will get marked down.

Scuffs it yeah, but leaving the leg out is a load of gonad*s. He bought his leg back in and the Lyon player threw himself to the floor.

89 mins - 3
90th min - 10
After that dramatic defeat at Goodison just before Christmas someone produced stats showing if the final whistle were to blow after 80 mins we'd be top of the League.

Well almost the opposite has been happening recently with late goals changing the outcome in six of the fourteen games we've played since then (all competitions). What's more, three of them were swung right at the very death - two v Lyon and the draw vs Man U.

After that dramatic defeat at Goodison just before Christmas someone produced stats showing if the final whistle were to blow after 80 mins we'd be top of the League.

Well almost the opposite has been happening recently with late goals changing the outcome in six of the fourteen games we've played since then (all competitions). What's more, three of them were swung right at the very death - two v Lyon and the draw vs Man U.

good for the team. not so good for my ticker. i think i read somewhere on GG that AVB increased intensity at the end of training to help maintain focus for 90 minutes. has worked bloody wonders if true.

Brad - 5 - not much to do but couple of heart in mouth moments

Walker - 4 - oh dear, you knew after 10 mins that Lisandro was going to go down at the slightest touch so why did you insist on barging into him every time he was in a dangerous position
Gallas/Vertonghen - 6 - both solid
Assou-Ekoto - 5 - got forward well but didn't get many balls into the box

Lennon - 5 - worked hard but closed down by Lyon well and wasn't given much support
Parker - 3 - blimey did he pass to a Spurs player all night?
Dembele - 7 - MOTM - worked hard and scored an absolute screamer to win the tie
Bale - 5 - crowded out by 4 or 5 players and bar one run struggled to impact he game

Holtby - 6 - few great balls but others werent on his wave length - faded in 2nd half
Ade - 6 - worked v hard without any service, beautiful ball to Bale who should have scored

Livermore can get about the pitch and is a much better footballer,

I agree that Parker has been a shadow of himself , and although I am not that big a fan of Parker , he can be a hell of an effictive player for the team when he is fit . He just got back for injury , and I agree he must soon get his brick together , but to say Livermore is a much better footballer is just bonkers . Livermore is the biggest liability in our team , he can't really do anything , and he gives away more free kicks than Howard Webb !

Except for the goal Dembele was absolutely dogbrick , lost the ball so many times I lost count
. I don't think he had one forward pass all night , and then when the one opportunity came , Bale was in full speed with half the pitch to run at right in front of Dembele , he manages to pass the ball backwards !!! SHOCING performance except from the goal . Dembele is our weakest link at the moment . Not the worst player but his position is so vital he must offer something offensively , but he doesn't at all !
Really hope we bring in Moutinho , or someone with a creative spark , Dembele ain't it

Somewhat surprised to see Bale get such high ratings from so many. I wonder what kind of rating Ade or Parker would get if they had been directly at fault for a goal against by pulling out of a duel in our box and missed a sitter.

Thought we did well defensively, but struggled going forward more or less as expected. Holtby was good, Ade decent, our central two didn't contribute enough.

I agree that Parker has been a shadow of himself , and although I am not that big a fan of Parker , he can be a hell of an effictive player for the team when he is fit . He just got back for injury , and I agree he must soon get his brick together , but to say Livermore is a much better footballer is just bonkers . Livermore is the biggest liability in our team , he can't really do anything , and he gives away more free kicks than Howard Webb !

Incredible comment about Livermore. Disgraceful even...

I've been closely following Livermore now in the U21 games / Reserves etc.. and to say he has been incredible is an understatement. Against Man Utd he pulled the strings the whole game and just made sure that every play went through him. He dominated.
You can scream "But oh, it was only U21's!" - You are correct, but to play like that consistently is another thing.

Time for Livermore to step up to the plate. It just shows how much we miss Sandro. A Huge loss.

Incredible comment about Livermore. Disgraceful even...

I've been closely following Livermore now in the U21 games / Reserves etc.. and to say he has been incredible is an understatement. Against Man Utd he pulled the strings the whole game and just made sure that every play went through him. He dominated.
You can scream "But oh, it was only U21's!" - You are correct, but to play like that consistently is another thing.

Time for Livermore to step up to the plate. It just shows how much we miss Sandro. A Huge loss.

+1

Brad - 5 - not much to do but couple of heart in mouth moments

Walker - 4 - oh dear, you knew after 10 mins that Lisandro was going to go down at the slightest touch so why did you insist on barging into him every time he was in a dangerous position
Gallas/Vertonghen - 6 - both solid
Assou-Ekoto - 5 - got forward well but didn't get many balls into the box

Lennon - 5 - worked hard but closed down by Lyon well and wasn't given much support
Parker - 3 - blimey did he pass to a Spurs player all night?
Bale - 5 - crowded out by 4 or 5 players and bar one run struggled to impact he game

Holtby - 6 - few great balls but others werent on his wave length - faded in 2nd half
Ade - 6 - worked v hard without any service, beautiful ball to Bale who should have scored
Since you ask, yes, he produced an absolute peach down the left to set up one of our best attacks first half. Could hardly believe my eyes. Words like 'exception' and 'rule' come to mind.

Somewhat surprised to see Bale get such high ratings from so many. I wonder what kind of rating Ade or Parker would get if they had been directly at fault for a goal against by pulling out of a duel in our box and missed a sitter.

A sitter? Really?

That would have been an incredible goal.

Except for the goal Dembele was absolutely dogbrick , lost the ball so many times I lost count
. I don't think he had one forward pass all night , and then when the one opportunity came , Bale was in full speed with half the pitch to run at right in front of Dembele , he manages to pass the ball backwards !!! SHOCKING performance except from the goal . Dembele is our weakest link at the moment . Not the worst player but his position is so vital he must offer something offensively , but he doesn't at all !
Really hope we bring in Moutinho , or someone with a creative spark , Dembele ain't it
Sorry but that's way OTT. Agree he had a poor game other than the goal, but he did a lot of grafting which seems to go unnoticed until he loses out. Parker's ten times worse at losing possession. To their credit though they both put the effort in, it's the end product that's the problem.

Friedel - 6: Not much to do, but mostly solid (though he nearly gae away a penalty with some poor control; good to see him have the last laugh against the Lyon fans)
Walker - 4: This guy is now a BIG BIG liability and he is dragging Lennon down with him imo. Poor control and concentration (as usual)
Gallas - 6.5: Mostly solid, but often creative going forwards but poor control at times
Vertonghen - 7: Solid; good tackles and good positioning generally. Kept Gomis mostly quiet
BAE - 6.5: some heart in mouth moments but often with no support (unlike say Walker) and poor use of ball in good areas going forward
Lennon - 4: Poor control, but suffering from having to babysit Walker and not confident of making runs AND being found by Walker and others
Dembele - 6.5: often poor control and poor passing (missing Bale being free in the first half with acres to run into). Late goal earns him one mark.
Parker - 5.5.: poor passing, slows attacks down too much. Making Demebele a lesser palyer imo, but also babysitting Walker a little imo
Bale - 6.5: Tried hard but sometimes you wonder if he is too greedy at times (thoough with the often lack of options up front etc it's undersatndable)
Holtby - 7: Good first half, lesser second, but a trier (if often suffering from poor control and poor passing at times, not as bad as others though)
Ade - 6.5: Tried his best, but again feeding off scraps. Needs a goal and quick.

Dempsey - 5: Poor control in missing one of the few clear chances we created, but didn't hide as is usual with him
Siggy - 5: Tried but nothing going for him, though the passes to him were as awful as most of our passing tonight
Livermore - n/a too late to have a rating but that's twice in a week his late introduction has coincided with a late decisive goal:eek:\o/

We overall had the right strategy in play but our attacks were limited by the fact we were up against a team that wanted to counter-attack us and so we had our lack of a Modric/Moutinho type of playmaker exposed. Our simple lack of ball control, passing and movement was a worry though.

Play like that against the Spammers of the Gooners then we will get Hammered!

Good to see US scoring the last goals now though eh=D>

COYS
On current form there's a strong case for putting Gallas at RB and bringing Dawson back at CB.

By better footballer I mean LIvermore is comfortable on the ball, has a bit of skill even and can pass a ball fine. Defensively Parker is better but its more crucial with the way we play we have players who can pass a ball to a team mate. Out of curiousity how long are people going to say Parker has only just come back from injury for? It's not like even in his prime form for us he distributed the ball well....

You can only beat what is put in front of you (to coin a cliche!) Lyon deserved nothing from the game with their tactics. They looked to go down at the merest touch, and were defo trying to get Walker sent off. They got their goal, and then tried to stop us playing. We were pretty clueless in the first half, but second half we were by far the better team. Not brilliant, but we were better than them. At times it looked like we were the home team. A win is a win, we're through to the next round, Lyon can trot off home. I'd give everyone a six, with the exception of Parker who only deserved a 4, and Gallas who was our MOTM, a 7

Back