• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Lyon

Friedel - 7 - Could do NOTHING about the goal, no one in the world would have saved that. Made a superb save after that too.

Walker - 7 - His game of the season by a long shot, was a threat down that right and put in some fantastic crosses.
Gallas - 8 - Really good. Was a bit dodgy at the beginning of the season but has been real good when called upon the past few months. Solid today!
Vertonghen - 6 - Didn't think he was good at all. Did make some crucial tackles but tried overdoing.
Assou-Ekotto - 8 - Superb performance. So great to see him back, please no more Naughton or Vertonghen picked over him.

Lennon - 6 - Real quiet game from Lennon sadly. I wouldn't even mind resting him in the second leg and using him as an impact player, I think he may be more effective that way.
Parker - 6 - Was giving the ball away numerous times, some good tackles here and there. He's not Sandro.
Dembele 6.5 - Another one of those games for him. Extra point for that superb ball through to Adebayor in the first half!
Bale - 8.5 - Unbelievable. I was so confident he'd get that last free kick on target but to score? World class. He's stepped it up, he really has. We had this guy last year, we'd have contended for the title past February.

Dempsey - 5 - Not been at his best for a while. I don't feel him and Adebayor click at all unfortunately.
Adebayor - 4.5 - Thought he was terrible. Flicks going to no one, poor touches, positional sense all over the place. Sort it out Ade, important period coming up!

Friedel - 6

Walker - 7
Gallas - 6
Verts - 6
BAE - 7

Lennon - 6
Parker - 6
Dembele - 7
Bale - 8

Dempsey - 5
Ade - 5

Sig - 6
Holtby - 7

European games are so different to what we play every week, Lyon were clever and well set up, I was disapointed with Dempsey, Ade and Dembele, we need to find a way of getting more out of Dembele he plays back and sideways far too much, also gets caught so often in posession its annoying.

Friedel - 7

Walker - 7
Gallas - 7
Verts - 6
BAE - 7

Lennon - 6
Parker - 6
Dembele - 6
Bale - 8

Dempsey - 5
Ade - 5

I really enjoyed the game it was interesting.

Friedel - 7

Walker - 7
Gallas - 8
Verts - 6
BAE - 8

Lennon - 5
Parker - 8
Dembele - 7
Bale - 9

Dempsey - 4
Ade - 6

Holtby - 7
Sig - 6

European games are so different to what we play every week, Lyon were clever and well set up, I was disapointed with Dempsey, Ade and Dembele, we need to find a way of getting more out of Dembele he plays back and sideways far too much, also gets caught so often in posession its annoying.

I really enjoyed the game it was interesting.

That is probably the right word. I think the millions who watched found it entertaining as well. First time Ade has played 90 mins up front all season without Defoe (correct?) 1st big Euro game for many in the team.
Our whole defence played well but in open play we did not gel in attack. Holtby was good.
Lets not forget Lyon are 2nd in French league behind big spending PSG and are an experienced ECL team.

Friedel - 6

Walker - 4...rubbish going forward and way to loose for their goal
Gallas - 6
Verts - 8....Solid
BAE - 8...ice cool and hard

Lennon - 6... did well considering walker was on his wing
Parker - 5...good in our half, brick in theirs
Dembele - 8...class, ball of the match for Ade
Bale - 9...2 goals nuff said

Dempsey - 4
Ade - 4

Holtby - 8 ...played with real urgency and skill
Sig - 6

Friedel - 6

Walker - 4...rubbish going forward and way to loose for their goal
Gallas - 6
Verts - 8....Solid
BAE - 8...ice cool and hard

Lennon - 6... did well considering walker was on his wing
Parker - 5...good in our half, brick in theirs
Dembele - 8...class, ball of the match for Ade
Bale - 9...2 goals nuff said

Dempsey - 4
Ade - 4

Holtby - 8 ...played with real urgency and skill
Sig - 6

Entitled to your opinion of course, but 4 for Walker? First half we was excellent. And he wasn't great in the second half but to get a 4?! wow. And how on Earth can anyone blame him for their goal!

There is a malicious poster on here who disguises himself with different names who has propogated this myth about Ade's form last term. Ade scored almost exactly the same amount of goals in the second half of last season as the first half.
And as for his form tailing off last season

HE SCORED IN EACH OF OUR LAST 2 GAMES!!!!!!!!

http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/tottenham-hotspur/2012/3/

And I will repost this ad infinitum.

As for this season,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20840937

He is in form

I will once again state that booing him or not playing well is not on and cheering him sarcastically is idiotic.

But you must be his biggest fan if you truly believe he is playing well for SPURS. 9 starts in the league, 15 apps overall in the league. A total of 3 goals in all competitions for Spurs and no assists. Missed a chance last night that any top striker should bury, or at the very least hit the target.

Thought all of our defenders did well last night. They scored a freak of nature goal and otherwise we limited them to one real chance (another great individual effort from their winger, dribbling past 3-4 players). Parker and Dembele also did a solid job defensively. Interesting to see Gallas and Vertonghen play well alongside each other again, they were the first choice for some time before Ekotto got injured, we might see them partner up again in coming weeks. I think Vertonghen looks a lot better alongside Gallas who is more experienced and seems to organize the back 4 better than Dawson manages.

Going forward only Bale gets away with a top rating. Lennon started really brightly along with Walker down the right, but they shifted it a bit and got more protection to their full back. After that our right side didn't create much.

Ade worked hard, but only got the one chance so not a great game. Good signs for me though. I think Holtby deserves a start now ahead of Dempsey.

That is probably the right word. I think the millions who watched found it entertaining as well. First time Ade has played 90 mins up front all season without Defoe (correct?) 1st big Euro game for many in the team.
Our whole defence played well but in open play we did not gel in attack. Holtby was good.
Lets not forget Lyon are 2nd in French league behind big spending PSG and are an experienced ECL team.

When Utd were first in the CL they had a far better team than what they have now and they struggled in Europe, it took a few years for them to adapt, for me this cup is well worth winning and playing in Europe must be a great experience for the players, they would rather play than train anyway I would think, I though Lyon were good last night, I never went but European nights at the lane in the past were special, our crowd came across as subdued on the box was this the case?

Entitled to your opinion of course, but 4 for Walker? First half we was excellent. And he wasn't great in the second half but to get a 4?! wow. And how on Earth can anyone blame him for their goal!

the only threat on his wing for the goal was that full back he shouldve been alot closer and pressured him into a mis hit. or block it...He did ok 1st half but was shocking 2nd half.. Week after week he is killing us imo and is not the answer at rb

Friedel 6.5 - Decent save in the second half, distribution at times poor.

Walker 6 - Tale of two halves. Looked really good in the first, but switched off at the restart and played poorly in all areas in the second.
Vertoghen 6.5 - Decent again from Verts. Probably should have conceded a pen had the ref had a better view.
Gallas 7 - Good game from Billy, solid all round.
BAE 7 - Much better from Benny, getting some form back now after his long layoff. Still too risky at times, but that's Benny for you.

Lennon - 6.5 Linked up well with Walker in the first and was dangerous, but like Walker his performance dropped in the second and found it hard to get involved.
Parker 6.5 - Less 360's and less long passing attempts but still looks short on the form of last year, often running around trying too much to influence the game.
Dembele 6 - Held on to the ball far too long too often and slowed our attack down, kept running into walls and losing the ball. Still struggling to capture his early season form.
Bale 8 - Quiet game with two moments of genius mixed in. After years of not scoring freekicks the floodgates have opened.

Dempsey 5 - If all you needed for top flight football is an engine then I'd be playing for Spurs. Far too often for Spurs Dempsey just can't add anything in the role he plays. Slow of mind and body.

Adebayor 5.5 - If Ade was looking to show that he should be our first choice striker then he fluffed his lines. Didn't work the Lyon defense nowhere near hard enough and looked like he was going through he motions.

Holtby 6.5 - Loved the desire, a little one footed but showed some good fight.
Sigg 6 - On a different wavelength to most on the pitch, lacking confidence.

AVB 7 - Played a strong squad which was correct as Lyon are no pushovers. Moment of the match AVB's altercation with the advertising hoarding door.

the only threat on his wing for the goal was that full back he shouldve been alot closer and pressured him into a mis hit. or block it...He did ok 1st half but was shocking 2nd half.. Week after week he is killing us imo and is not the answer at rb

ibwGlB8yaTthEj.gif

There was a cross and a clearance. That gif doesn't show the cross, but there were 3 Lyon players in the box, seems sensible for our right back not to be standing at the edge of the box marking their left back when there's a cross into our box. If he did and someone scored from the cross inside the box I'm sure someone here would be slating him for not being in the box. And I think they would be right in that case.

When the ball was cleared he pushed out to put pressure on Umtiti as he should, enough to force him to strike it first time. Something that 19 out of 20 times means he'll put it in the stands. It was just a wonderful wonderful strike.

What other mistakes did he make in the 2nd half to warrant the description "shocking"?

ibwGlB8yaTthEj.gif

There was a cross and a clearance. That gif doesn't show the cross, but there were 3 Lyon players in the box, seems sensible for our right back not to be standing at the edge of the box marking their left back when there's a cross into our box. If he did and someone scored from the cross inside the box I'm sure someone here would be slating him for not being in the box. And I think they would be right in that case.

When the ball was cleared he pushed out to put pressure on Umtiti as he should, enough to force him to strike it first time. Something that 19 out of 20 times means he'll put it in the stands. It was just a wonderful wonderful strike.

What other mistakes did he make in the 2nd half to warrant the description "shocking"?

Yes, terrible positioning..WTF was he doing in the 6 yard box ? especially when lennon was pressing !

If I was to blame anyone for the goal it would be BAE firstly for for not closing down the original cross, he was lazy getting there and then I would question where lennon is because the left back has scored so surely the right midfielder/forward should track him.

The reason I am tending not to blame lennon is with our superstar given a free reign of pitch, sometimes an extra body is needed in midfield to combat there 3 and I think thats why Azza was central more.

Yes, terrible positioning..WTF was he doing in the 6 yard box ? especially when lennon was pressing !

Oh, I thought the sarcasm was clear enough, should have added a smiley or something.

Walker did his job. He shouldn't be outside the box looking after their left back when there's a cross coming in.

If I was to blame anyone for the goal it would be BAE firstly for for not closing down the original cross, he was lazy getting there and then I would question where lennon is because the left back has scored so surely the right midfielder/forward should track him.

The reason I am tending not to blame lennon is with our superstar given a free reign of pitch, sometimes an extra body is needed in midfield to combat there 3 and I think thats why Azza was central more.

Exactly. BAE strolled out for that cross, he could definitely have put a bit more effort into closing down the player more quickly.

Blaming Walker for that goal is baffling. His job isn't to be shadowing the left back, especially when a cross is just coming into the box.

Friedel 7 two good saves in either half, very vocal throughout, no keeper in world football saves their goal.

Walker, Gallas, Vertonghen, BAE - all 7

Lennon 6.5 quiet from the little man.
Parker and Dembele - both 7
Bale 8.5 two quality free kicks, enough said.

Adebayor and Dempsey - both 5

Holtby 7 he always up's the tempo when he comes on and I love the winning mentality.
Sigurdsson 6 I know this will be controversial, but I think he should start the away leg as he needs to rediscover the form he showed for Swansea last year.
Livermore N/A

AVB 7 sent out a strong side, but wtf has happened to our strikers??

Fans 5 dare I say it, but I am surprised that the Lyon fans didn't sing "comme une bibliothèque" to us on the night. Come on Spurs fans, get behind the team ffs!

AVB

How can anyone blame Walker for the goal unless of course they are letting their dislike of him obscure their judgement. If anyone is to blame it is Gallas who, under no pressure, heads the ball back into the danger area rather than out. Now I like Billy, but how can you give him an 8 and moreover decide he should replace our currently successful centrebacks on the back of today's game? I'm afraid a number of posters seem to use their likes and dislikes rather than objectivity to make judgements.

Back