• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Inter

Felt a bit sorry for Holtby last night, did anyone notice at one point he got the ball wide out on the left, looked up and there was absolutely no-one in the final third and only Bale behind him.. He hesitated for a split second as if to say "wtf is this!?" and then just knocked it back and thought sod this and went up front in to the acres of empty space lol

It must've been frustrating given how everyone was busting a gut in the 1st half then by the time he came on the game was pretty much dead.

Still, I guess that's part of the game and hopefully he will get another chance to start a game and show what he's got soon, much the same as Siggy was able to last night.

I would have been more disappointed if I was Caulker (for being left out) and for Carroll (for Livermore coming on for Dembele instead of him). Holtby will be fine - AVB does seem to introduce players slowly rather than throwing them in at the deep end, and it seems to work. My only concern about Holtby is where he'll fit. I thought he was going to be rafa's replcaement but then Bale now plays there and we also have Siggy. I guess Holtby will be a squad player but still play a decent number of games given Europe plus the league and cups etc

Felt a bit sorry for Holtby last night, did anyone notice at one point he got the ball wide out on the left, looked up and there was absolutely no-one in the final third and only Bale behind him.. He hesitated for a split second as if to say "wtf is this!?" and then just knocked it back and thought sod this and went up front in to the acres of empty space lol

It must've been frustrating given how everyone was busting a gut in the 1st half then by the time he came on the game was pretty much dead.

Still, I guess that's part of the game and hopefully he will get another chance to start a game and show what he's got soon, much the same as Siggy was able to last night.
Yep, noticed that. Things just wouldn't go right for him last night. He's been out a couple of games so maybe that's affecting him a little.

Could also be the massive disruption of changing both club and country is only now beginning to take it's toll.

No question he is very talented and will come good for us, like Siggy he works hard, has an eye for a pass and a decent shot.

i thought Defoe played very well, clearly not sharp yet but that will come, he was lively, worked hard, got in good positions to receive and worked the keeper on numerous occasions, one of which led to a goal

There was one passage, soon after the third, where we swarmed them in possession by the Shelf touch line. It was pure, unadulterated energy. It is one of my favorite moments of the season, and proof to me that this club is being manged by someone with some special skill-sets.

Yeah, I just went "wow" during that passage of play

i thought Defoe played very well, clearly not sharp yet but that will come, he was lively, worked hard, got in good positions to receive and worked the keeper on numerous occasions, one of which led to a goal

Thought he played well, thought missed his usual sitter around 8 mins when half the goal was unguarded. Been far better for us than I expected this year but we need to sign someone better this summer

I agree

I'm just in from the game, and I've got to say, I'm astounded at some of the ratings/comments.

My 15 year old son was gobsmacked at how well we played, as a TEAM. And to perform like that as a team, each player has to be performing at the top of THEIR game. And I think we pretty much saw that tonight.

Whoever said bale and Siggy had quiet games.........................good grief.

Whoever said about Dembele and Parker giving the ball away?................good grief.

And as for the Defoe comment Gutter Boy........................OMG!!!!!!

Everyone around me where I was sat in block 23 thought Defoes hold up play was superb tonight. We thought Parker was MoM, and Siggy had his best game yet.
Seriously guys, some of you posting ratings need to get a better stream.

We have just made Inter look like a 2nd division team. Think about this.

=D> 100%

Freidel - 8 Important save and looked solid but distribution might have been better
Walker - 8 Solid defensively and had some good interplay with Lennon for a change
Gallas - 7 Solid
Verts - 8 Strong performance again and took his goal well
BAE - 7 Not yet back to last seasons form
Lennon - 8 Great both defensively and offensively. Took on his man on occasions and played in some great balls. Shame he couldnt convert his chance
Dembele - 8 Impressive on the ball and won a few important tackles. Looking to begin to recapture last seasons form for Fulham
Parker 9 - Fabulous performance. Was everywhere and his distribution was really good for a change. Turned the clock back 10 years
Bale 8 - Well taken goal, created a few other chances for himself and others. Great dead ball delivery leading to Verts goal. Shame about the booking, but maybe an enforced rest is necessary.
The Sig 9 MOTM for me. Created Bale's header with a pin point whipped cross, followed up Defoes saved shot for his goal and was busy and productive all over the pitch. His best game for Spurs
Defoe 8 - Brilliant first half. Great hold up and link play. Closed down the opposition well and looked a real threat all night. Unsurprisingly as he is just returning from fitness, he tired a bit in the second half and played some loose balls. He was also a tad greedy - but hey at 3-0 up it really isnt surprising he wanted to get on the scoresheet

Holtby 5 - nothing went right for him
Livermore 6- meant we became too defensive
Naugton n/a

AVB 9 Selection and tactics spot on. We really looked like a team with everyone playing for each other both with and without the ball. We looked strong and athletic from the start. The only negative in my view was the Livermore for Dembele substitution which ceded the initiative a bit. I would have preferred to see Caroll and keep the passing game going. Big congratulations to him and the whole coaching staff. A night to be proud.

Ade 10 - for not being there.

Pretty much everyone was great last night, special mentions to Sig and Parker who I thought were both brilliant.

Defoe must start from here on out when fit, he gave us so much more last night than what we have seen from Ade. Even though he didn't score and was selfish at times we looked infinitely more dangerous with him out there. For all the talk of Ade's link play and off the ball runs Defoe did more of that last night than Ade has done in a month.

By what standard? Compared to what Ade has given us recently that was about 90% better.

By the standard of a striker, Im not comparing him to Ades performances. Everyone around me in the ground was groaning at Defoe for his decision making, times he dwelled on the ball and lost it etc I don't know how it all looked on TV though....

By the standard of a striker, Im not comparing him to Ades performances. Everyone around me in the ground was groaning at Defoe for his decision making, times he dwelled on the ball and lost it etc I don't know how it all looked on TV though....

This is funny because earlier in the thread fans who were there were saying how well he played and could not understand how the couch potatoes watching on telly had given him such a hard time.

This is funny because earlier in the thread fans who were there were saying how well he played and could not understand how the couch potatoes watching on telly had given him such a hard time.

Are we attempting to form new camps?

fudge it. I watched it on tv and he was good.

The greedy tag is true. Thing is if one of his shots goes in he's no longer greedy, he should have a go more often. It's one of those fine lines that Strikers have to walk sometimes.

i want my striker to be greedy around the box, Defoe's greatest asset has always been his ability to get a shot off early, I want him to shoot every opportunity he gets, had it not been Handanovic in goal last night he'd have bagged a couple

By the way, does Defoe qualify for an assist for the Sig goal? Does anyone know how the stats compilers view this?

Absolutely take a shot when it's on if you think you can score. Or even trying a speculative shot when there are no other options is OK. I don't think that is the problem. It's the attempted shots when there absolutely no chance of it ever reaching the goal, and/or when there are much better options on that has stopped Defoe being recognised as a truly great striker.

I am a big big Defoe fan but I'm not blind to failings. Defoe had a great game yesterday but there are 2-3 instances even in this match when shooting was the absolute wrong decision. The top strikers just make better decisions around the box and this is why Defoe is not and never will categorised in the same bracket as the RVP, Tevez, Aguero's, etc.

I have noticed that he doesn't seem to be offside very much these days.

I would have been more disappointed if I was Caulker (for being left out) and for Carroll (for Livermore coming on for Dembele instead of him). Holtby will be fine - AVB does seem to introduce players slowly rather than throwing them in at the deep end, and it seems to work. My only concern about Holtby is where he'll fit. I thought he was going to be rafa's replcaement but then Bale now plays there and we also have Siggy. I guess Holtby will be a squad player but still play a decent number of games given Europe plus the league and cups etc

Bale, Holtby, Siggy, Dempsey and Lennon (and Townsend) competing for three spots behind the forward is superb options. All can play in at least 2, if not all 3, of the positions too.

Back