• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings against man u

Friedel- 7 - Made some very very good saves, perhaps could have done better with the goals but, there were times where I was thanking my lucky stars we had friedel in goal, although the corners made me nervous, very nervous indeed.

Walker- 5 - not that bad but, really not that good at all, needs to improve over his recent performances.
Gallas- 6- gave everything, some bad defending, some great, make it 6.5 due to the pure desire it must have taken to head it and almost kill himself against the post.
Caulker - 6.75 - Good game, promising but, made a few mistakes i.e the header although that could be down to gallas also.
Verts - 8 - All hail Prince Jan.

Lennon-6.5 - Isolated but, threatening in the first, pinned back but, did his job in the second.
Sandro -7.5 - First half: BEAST second half: Pinned back by siege.
Dembele - 7.5- as above
Bale - 7.75 - First very good game in a while.

Dempsey -6.5 - Anonymous in parts useful in others
Defoe - 6.75 - Made some clever runs but never really got on the ball, could have scored

Success of subs
THUDD- 6.75- felt it calmed down a bit with him on
Gylfi - 6.5 - brought us time when he could get on the ball
Daws - 6.5 - Added a bit more security to the defence all that could be asked

Friedel 6 - Didn't have too much to do actually. I thought he could have done better for the first goal. It was no mistake, but had he gone for it with his leg rather than diving for it, he would have saved it. No chance on the second goal and had a couple of decent saves. Distribution not too good.

Walker 4,5 - Decent first half, but a nightmare in the second. He played Kagawa onside on United's second goal, and was also horribly out of position on a couple of other occasions. One example was prior to van Persie's big chance.

Gallas 6,5 - I thought he could have gotten closer to Nani on the first goal. He was also in a peculiar position, ahead of the rest of the defensive line, when Kagawa scored. Overall it wasn't a horrible performance though. He did well defending crosses in the last 20 minutes or so of the game.

Caulker 7,5 - A strong performance in a game that was a big test for him. Strong in the air, good on the ball, especially in the first half, and has the pace to deal with most strikers. Strays out of position now and then still, but hopefully that will get better with experience.

Vertonghen 7,5 - Very good going forward in the first half. Makes dangerous attacking runs and his passing is incisive. Struggled a bit one on one agaisnt Nani though. And was also lucky not to concede a penalty.

Sandro 7,5 - Very strong first half defensively, and was also precise in his passing and made a couple of good attacking runs. Won the ball brilliantly before our secodn goal. Struggled to get close to their midfielders in the second half, but that accounts for everyone in our team.

Dembele 7,5 - The same as Sandro really + some extra skill and creativity. Good work to set up Bale for his goal.

Lennon 6,5 - Made a couple of good runs in the first half, but he wasn't our most important player. Understandably disappeared after half time.

Dempsey 7 - Scored a simple goal, but he actually also played an important part in the build-up to that goal with a terrfic touch and turn in our own half. Worked hard constantly and tidy on the ball.

Bale 8 - Involved in all three goals. Took his goal brilliantly. Needs to learn to pass the ball to team mates in better positions though. Should have served Dempsey an easy goal, but luckily the rebound ended up there anyway.

Defoe 8 - A good performance. He actually played his part in all three goals. On the first two he made runs that opened up the all-important gap for Vertonghen and Bale. And the third he held the ball up well, and played a perfect pass for Bale. Good movement off the ball in the first half.

Sigurdsson - I think he had just about the only good involvement of any Spurs player on the ball after our third goal when he managed to hold onto the ball and win a free kick near the end.

Hudd -

Dawson -

Last edited:
I agree with those stats KON. Would give Sandro a touch higher though, thought he did very well in the 2nd half as well. We were forced deep, he sat deep, but he put in some very good tackles in some dangerous areas and shielded the defenders quite well.

I agree with those stats KON. Would give Sandro a touch higher though, thought he did very well in the 2nd half as well. We were forced deep, he sat deep, but he put in some very good tackles in some dangerous areas and shielded the defenders quite well.
You could be right about Sandro. To be honest, in the last thirty minutes of the game, I was an absolute nervous wreck, and might not have been able to pick up on all the details.

You could be right about Sandro. To be honest, in the last thirty minutes of the game, I was an absolute nervous wreck, and might not have been able to pick up on all the details.

You were not the only one...

Just remember Sandro putting in some vital tackles and doing some good work there.

Probably going to watch that game again sooner rather than later, might give me a different picture on a lot of things.

All the lads put in a good shift and especially in the first half, MOM for me was Sandro closly followed by Bale and Defoe.

Friedel- 7 - Made some very very good saves, perhaps could have done better with the goals but, there were times where I was thanking my lucky stars we had friedel in goal, although the corners made me nervous, very nervous indeed.

Walker- 5 - not that bad but, really not that good at all, needs to improve over his recent performances.
Gallas- 6- gave everything, some bad defending, some great, make it 6.5 due to the pure desire it must have taken to head it and almost kill himself against the post.
Caulker - 6.75 - Good game, promising but, made a few mistakes i.e the header although that could be down to gallas also.
Verts - 8 - All hail Prince Jan.

Lennon-6.5 - Isolated but, threatening in the first, pinned back but, did his job in the second.
Sandro -7.5 - First half: BEAST second half: Pinned back by siege.
Dembele - 7.5- as above
Bale - 7.75 - First very good game in a while.

Dempsey -6.5 - Anonymous in parts useful in others
Defoe - 6.75 - Made some clever runs but never really got on the ball, could have scored

Success of subs
THUDD- 6.75- felt it calmed down a bit with him on
Gylfi - 6.5 - brought us time when he could get on the ball
Daws - 6.5 - Added a bit more security to the defence all that could be asked

Rewatch the game winning goal. Did incredibly well on the ball there. Also made intelligent runs that opened up the space for the first two goals. Thought he had an immense game. Obviously, the second half was hard for him, as he was totally isolated, but I thought JD did very well.

The line between success and failure is very thin in this game,

Yes, in this league, where players are so fit and athletic these days, the line is often very thin indeed, but it always comes down to goals. Just goals. When we finally beat Chelsea at the Lane it took that late Arjen Robben shot to miss, for us to get the 3 points. Here we needed Van Pervie to miss. He missed and we got 3 points. But it was the goals WE SCORED that enabled us to be in a position to win the game. Of course we were lucky that Van P missed, so what?

All the scores are well-reasoned but utterly MISERLY. Every player needs a +1 or even +2 just for being in a winning team at the Theatre of Nightmares. And the manager gets a big 11 out of 10, full stop.

=D> \o/

manager, coaches & squad will be back in training today, focusing on Panathinaikos.

me...i'm just gonna keep looking at that scoreline for the next few weeks with a big smile on my face.

This ratings from Espnstar.com :

Tottenham

Friedel - 8
The big American continues to keep Lloris out of the starting line-up and it is not hard to see why. Another top drawer performance from Friedel at the weekend, this time keeping United from scoring an equalising goal in the second half. Some of his saves may not have looked spectacular but that's because he made them look so easy by holding on to the ball and hardly spilling any of United's shots.

Vertonghen - 7.5
He is a beast of a defender when he is running at you in full flight and smashing the ball into the back of the net as he did to United in the opening minutes of the match. He can also defend and he did a lot of that well in the second half against United.

Gallas - 7.5
It's quite scary to imagine how good Gallas would've been had injuries not ravaged his career. At times it seemed like he was man marking Kagawa and Van Persie at the same time. Vital interceptions, last ditch tackles, and clearances off the line - you name it and Gallas did it for Spurs against United.

Caulker - 6
Certainly had a better first half than second like most Spurs players. Might have even got on the score sheet early on in the match after rising highest to a Bale corner at the far post but he could only head over.

Walker - 3.5
Walker regressed into his shell the more United started to dominate and midway through the second half his defensive discipline had completely deserted him. Time and time again he was caught out of position in the second half and was culpable for United's second goal.

Dempsey (Off 69') - 6.5
Dempsey was in the right place at the right time for Spurs' winning goal but other than that it wasn't the best game the American has ever had in the Premier League. No that it matters though - he'll go down in history as the man who won Spurs their first league game at Old Trafford for since 1989.

Lennon - 7
Lennon has such pace that you know you are in trouble when he has the ball at his feet and you are backpedalling. The English midfielder kept United on their toes mainly in the first half and he linked up well with Defoe too.

Bale - 9.5
A performance of the highest order from Bale. The last time he played this good he tore Inter Milan to shreds as well as their defender Maicon's reputation. He may have done something similar to United defender Ferdinand here. He had a hand in all of Spurs' goals. For the first goal he played the one-two with Vertonghen; for the second goal he switched on his afterburners and left Ferdinand for dead before finishing coolly with his right foot; for the third goal it was his initial shot which led to Dempsey's rebound goal. Didn't have the same type of influence in the second half but that was down to his team-mates giving the ball away rather than his own performance dipping too badly.

Sandro (Off 83') - 6
Terrific first half display breaking up United's attacking rhythm. A less impressive second half though and he couldn't get near Scholes the entire half. He also handballed in the box on 65 minutes but the referee let it go unpunished.

Defoe (Off 92') - 7
He was so isolated for large parts of the second half but he had already done his good work by then so he gets a good rating here. It was his intelligent run which forced Evans wide to provide the space for Bale to test Ferdinand out one v one - this as we know resulted in the second goal for Spurs.

Dembele - 6
Made some crucial tackles when Spurs were trying to defend their 2-0 lead but went missing as soon as United had scored their first goal.

Subs
Sigurdsson (On 69') - 6.5
Did a very good job of holding the ball up and drawing fouls whenever he could to give his defenders some time to catch their breath as the United second half onslaught continued.

Huddlestone (On 83') - N/A
A fresh pair of legs for Spurs to try and close down and hurry Scholes into a mistake.

Dawson (On 92') - N/A
Came on as Spurs tried to hold out for the win.

-------------------------

Bale and Vertonghen named in Soccernet Team Of The Week :

On the other side, Tottenham's Belgium international Jan Vertonghen had an evening to remember as Tottenham - true to AVB's word - went to Old Trafford with an attacking intent that was rewarded with a first away win over United since the days when Gary Lineker was still out there scoring goals. Vertonghen linked well with Gareth Bale to open the scoring and played a full part in repelling the frenzied United comeback that nearly, but not quite, brought them a point.

--------

Gareth Bale was integral to Tottenham's dream afternoon at Old Trafford. It was his neat touch that freed Vertonghen to open the scoring for the Londoners and, not content with that, he chipped in with a goal of his own, whizzing past a bemused Rio Ferdinand and planting a fine finish across Anders Lindegaard. And it was his shot which led to a tap-in for Clint Dempsey. All that was in the middle of a typical Bale performance: strong runs, endless industry and some fine defensive work to boot.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/column...-team-of-the-week:-september-30,-2012?cc=4716

I agree that he did everything ask of him, and in the second half he didn't had a lot of choice but smash it as far as possible. Still no more than a 6 for me. He was solid and I expect him to keep it up ;)

Just for you to be able to compare here are my rating of the others players :

Friedel 6
Walker 5
Gallas 6
Caulker 6
Vertonghen 7

Lennon 6
Sandro 7
Dembele 6
Bale 6.5

Defoe 6.5

Siggy 6
Hudd 6
Dawson -

AVB 7

Dempsey?

A little late but:

Friedel - 8
Walker - 5
Gallas - 8
Caulker - 8
Vertonghen - 8.5
Lennon - 6
Dempsey 6.5
Sandro - 8
Dembele - 6
Bale 8.5
Defoe 6.5

This Lloris/Friedel debate really is going on after we win at Old Trafford? If Brad keeps playing like this he may keep his place all year and that is fine with me. Some of these ratings are laughable for him, he had several stops where he caught stinging shots that easily could have been spilled for rebounds.

Friedel 7- Understandable that people want to see more of Lloris, but AVB ain't dropping Friedel if he keeps this form up I'm afraid.

Walker 6- Caught napping for the 2nd goal. Mix up with Lennon when Evra should have scored with a header. His defending has regressed worryingly.
Gallas 7- Thought he was decent. Played through pain too.
Caulker 7- Solid display. Looks dangerous from set pieces too. Should a real threat aerially with him, Kaboul and Vertonghen.
Vertonghen 8- Great marauding runs. Assured as ever!

Sandro 8- Beast mode!
Dembele- Excellent in first half.
Lennon 7- Dangerous in first half, largely annonymous in 2nd half.
Bale 8- Needed a big performance from him if we were going to win, and we got one! Involved in all 3 goals.
Dempsey 6.5- Apart from his goal, didn't feature too much.

Defoe 7- Excellent hold up play for 3rd goal. Good movement for 2nd goal.

Congratulations to AVB for becoming the first Spurs manager to win at OT in the premier league! Loved his celebration at the end! First half was great to see us really going for United's throat. Understandable and inevitable that we would be under the kosh in the 2nd half. Don't blame the team for defending deep as it's bloody hard to not do so when your defending for your lives at Old Trafford and haven't won there in over two decades. Teams don't plan on defending deep. Struggled to get any foothold in the game in the second half, disappointing we couldn't keep the ball better.

So when did people actually start to believe that we could win the game? It was about 88 minutes for once I thought we could do it.

rating?

Still haven't seen the first half, so haven't submitted my ratings! Can't wait to watch the first half tonight as I hear we were superb! Second half we were dire, but that was to be expected as Utd were always going to hammer us trying to pull the game back.

Special second half mention for Sandro who I thought was brilliant. Walker & Caulker looked very poor to me though (second half only remember) and Verts defensively was also suspect but when a defence is put under that sort of pressure it is to be expected that individual mistakes will occur...I just don't like to see defenders let the ball bounce or have their unpressured headers go waywards!

With Dempsey playing was it 4-4-1-1?

The first goal I didn't think anything of at the time but then Waddle said something like "Friedel had no chance of getting anywhere near it" exactly at the same time they showed a replay from behind the goal where they showed that the ball went about an inch past his right boot, keepers often hate using their feet to block/save shots but just a twitch of his right boot would've kept it out. I'm not blaming him for it, just that a marginally quicker reaction which Lloris has may have seen it saved. As for the 2nd I think Lloris may well have spotted the danger and dashed out of his goal to shut down Kagawa before he could get a shot away.

I don't think there's any save that Friedel makes that Lloris wouldn't, I think Lloris will put himself into positions which may lead to mistakes more than Friedel though. If the ball is crossed into our area 50 times and Friedel comes for 5 of them then it's unlikely he'll make a visual error, whereas if Lloris comes for 40 he may drop 1 which leads to a goal. But over the course of those 50 crosses, Lloris coming for them will probably prevent more goals than Friedel staying rooted to his line, but on the face of it it will look as though Lloris made 1 ricket whereas Friedel made none.

I back AVB, I like his moralistic way of managing the team, it would damaging to the team morale if he just booted Friedel out for Lloris. The problem I have though is that I don't see when Lloris is going to get in as Friedel just doesn't make any errors, he's not going to have 3 or 4 games in a row of mistakes, it would've been much easier if we'd signed Lloris when we got Siggy and Vertonghen as I imagine he'd be in goal right now.

The replay at 1:20 shows this

[video=youtube;G_OA_CgNTGs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_OA_CgNTGs&t=1m20s[/video]

It was hit at him quickly but he almost takes his leg away from where the ball eventually went.

Friedel - 7 - Showed safe hands on a number of occasions.

Walker - 5,5 - A couple of positional errors and his usual couple of sloppy passes.
Gallas - 8 - Pure leadership, best game for him in a long time.
Caulker - 7 - Won almost everything in the air, was dragged out of position for their first goal though.
Vertonghen - 8 - Very good performance, although Nani beat him a few times.

Sandro - 8,5 (MOM) - By far his pest performance this season. This is the kind of games he thrives in.
Dembele - 7 - Great first half, anonymous 2nd half.
Lennon - 6,5 - Decent runs at Evra, but would look so much more lethal if he tried to shoot more often.
Bale - 8 - 1 goal and 2 assists. I feel however he could have been set for a few more counter attacks in the second half.
Dempsey - 6,5 - Nice to see him open up his account, but still not enough involved in that position for my liking.

Defoe - 7 - Very tough game for him, but made some good runs and played a brilliant pass to Bale for the third goal.

AVB - 9 - Spot on!

Friedel - 10
Walker - 10
Gallas - 10
Caulker - 10
Vertonghen - 10
Lennon - 10
Dempsey 10
Sandro - 10
Dembele - 10
Bale - 10
Defoe - 10