• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Radu Dragusin

I believe they said something more like he's the player Tanganga could have been if he got game time and fulfilled his potential. A little more positive than "slightly better."
Overall they just had questions on the passing ability of the player, which is fair I think.
That was my impression too.

Anyone can make a mistake, but he doesn't have the habbit of doing them. He is strong but not Virgil strong, he is fast but not the fastest(slower than VDV but faster than most), he is good at tackling, not the best with the ball at his feet(very few CBs are) but you are not afraid when he has the ball and is good at heading the ball(scored from a corner în his last Genoa match against Inter, it finished 1-1). He has all the basics covered and he is only 21.
Cheers.

Will be interesting to see how he settles in. Seems to have a lot of ability already with potential there for further development. If the talk of a good attitude are also true that's a good combo.

Hopefully his ability on the ball will improve with time and that he's at least comfortable enough on the ball to play well within our style.

Slight concern for me that I think Romero's ability on the ball is really important for us, particularly when missing a couple of more attacking players that are great on the ball. But can't get everything we'd ideally want from a player. And he seems to have a lot of what we do need.

Ignoring any merits of Romero as a CM/DM, we bought Dragusin because we're extremely short at CB. Moving Romero from there to CM is counter intuitive in my opinion.

If VDV and Romero are playing and have the starting CB pairing locked down, Dragusin will be on the bench. It seems intuitive to look at ways if getting the most out of the players you have in the squad and it's an immediate way to improve upon Skipp / PEH (if Romero is actually suited to that position because of how short we are in midfield due to the AFCON). If you play a CB at DM for a bit it's not like he can never go back to CB ever again, in game alterations do indeed happen, like Dier under Poch thinking about it.

As I have attempted to stress, it's not something I think we absolutely should do, but just an option it will unlock. A valid argument against it would be that Dragusin + VDV as a pairing really doesn't have a lot of PL experience between them but then again if they're good enough it shouldn't be a problem.

The way Paratici identifies players there seems to be less of a need to write off the first 6 months / season to allow a player to settle in, hopefully the new lad will take to the surroundings as quickly as Kulu / Bentancur did!

Anyone can make a mistake, but he doesn't have the habbit of doing them. He is strong but not Virgil strong, he is fast but not the fastest(slower than VDV but faster than most), he is good at tackling, not the best with the ball at his feet(very few CBs are) but you are not afraid when he has the ball and is good at heading the ball(scored from a corner în his last Genoa match against Inter, it finished 1-1). He has all the basics covered and he is only 21.

Appreciating the extra write up, sounds very promising! Hopefully it doesn't sound like I was taking the tinkle, but to me it sounded like you'd described some kind of infallible Terminator prototype player which is setting expectations somewhat high. It'll be great to have a bit more threat on set pieces in the air, if anything against Burnley it was the delivery that was the problem which was odd from Porro but hopefully Dragusin will benefit from his and Maddison's free kick expertise.

The summary I listened to (delivered by Mina Rzouki) was that he can be dominant in the air at both ends of the field, is NOT a ball-playing CB, so won't be carrying the ball out of defence and starting attacks that way, but does deliver a mean long ball. Plus the other stuff we've heard (quick for his size, good tackler, difficult to go past, etc.)

Last edited:

Dragusin has long had his sights set on the Premier League and he was convinced to come after speaking personally to Postecoglou, who assured him he would be given opportunities in the Spurs starting line-up. With Cristian Romero and Micky van de Ven out injured, Dragusin certainly would have played regularly in recent weeks. With those two back, he will likely begin as the first rotation in the centre of Postecoglou’s back four and could occasionally provide cover for Pedro Porro on the right.

Europe’s biggest clubs have had their eye on Dragusin for years, ever since he joined Juventus at the age of 16 after excelling in Romania for Real Sport Bucharest. Atletico Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea were all jostling for his signature at that stage but Juve’s history of masterful defenders proved persuasive. “He asked me, ‘Where can I become a great central defender?’ ” Manea said. “That’s why he chose Juventus.”

Dragusin got his wish in Turin, where he trained alongside Giorgio Chiellini and Leonardo Bonucci and honed his one-vs-one technique against Cristiano Ronaldo. Juventus coach Andrea Pirlo was particularly impressed and, after insisting on his promotion from the youth teams, handed Dragusin his first-team debut in December 2020, in a Champions League game against Dynamo Kiev. “If Andrea Pirlo had stayed at Juventus, they would never have sold him,” Cristian Munteanu, a Romanian journalist for iAMsport, said.

At 6ft 3in, Dragusin is aggressive in the air, both in defence and attacking set pieces. At Genoa, one of the assistant coaches liked to call Dragusin “the train” because of the way he stormed through opponents to meet corners and free kicks. Like Van de Ven, he is quick and has excelled in sprint tests over 40 and 60 metres, which should allow him to fit into Postecoglou’s high defensive line. Unlike Romero, he has good discipline, with his one yellow card in 19 games currently the cleanest record for a central defender in Serie A.

Postecoglou has also prioritised personality in the signings he has made so far and Spurs are confident Dragusin will be a fast learner on the training ground and a leader in the dressing room. He speaks good English and can complete a Rubik’s Cube in 45 seconds. At Genoa, he was loved by the fans for how he immersed himself in the club and its local culture.

The question is whether Dragusin can now make another step up, so quickly, to the Premier League after shining for one season in Serie B and half a season in Serie A. There is also another, tactical, adjustment to be made too. Genoa are a cautious team who favour a deeper-lying defence, in contrast to the ultra-aggressive, halfway line hugging tactics of Tottenham’s back four. “He was a top player for Genoa, a defensive team,” one scout at a leading European club said. “Can he do it for a different team, playing different football? That is my one doubt.”

Those uncertainties are ultimately why Dragusin cost £25 million instead of £80 million and why Tottenham were at the front of the queue, even if beating Bayern to the deal is certainly an endorsement for the Postecoglou project.

Having players who dream of one day playing for Real Madrid and have the ability and potential to one day perhaps be good enough to do that is not a problem for us. Modric and Bale were never the problem.

His agent will do agent things. It's not important. What matters is what he himself does on the pitch.

It's also worth noting perhaps that he's from a smaller nation footballing wise. There will be that wish for attention and discussion about how far a very promising young player can be. Even more than in the "bigger" footballing nations because it's more rare to have players at or near that level. His agent is probably a bit of a prick for playing into that, particularly at this time. But it's also a way to create attention and positivity about his player and how good he can become which is understandable.

Again. Not an actual problem.

Also, if you didn't see Mina Rzouki's take on this lad on Sky Sports yesterday, it's been pretty much turned into this BBC article. She came across very well when speaking about him - seemed more than just a bluffer's take who had an hour to watch Youtube highlights before having to vomit some content online.

Also, if you didn't see Mina Rzouki's take on this lad on Sky Sports yesterday, it's been pretty much turned into this BBC article. She came across very well when speaking about him - seemed more than just a bluffer's take who had an hour to watch Youtube highlights before having to vomit some content online.

She was more impressive than 99% of pundits that cover English football.

His agents job was to drive up interest for the player and get him a move. He did his job.

From spurs perspective he's a taco. But from the players perspective and also genoa he did a good job. At the end of the day he doesn't work for spurs.

Also it is an assumption that he put pressure on radu to sign for byern, based on nothing. We don't know what conversations they had. At the end of the day he signed for us.
As I was saying...

His agent really is a tool that can't stop yapping. It's fine if he ends up at Real or Barca. We shouldn't worry about losing players as long as we get a good fee for them and have replacements lined up. But having someone constantly in his ear like this will just cause unnecessary friction while he is here.

Reactions: jrh
As I was saying...

His agent really is a tool that can't stop yapping. It's fine if he ends up at Real or Barca. We shouldn't worry about losing players as long as we get a good fee for them and have replacements lined up. But having someone constantly in his ear like this will just cause unnecessary friction while he is here.

As i was saying from our pespective he is a knob. Not from the players perspective. So no the player won't sack him.

Back