• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Radu Dragusin

It looks like we need him to start against United so yes it does matter. The sooner the player joins us the sooner they train our way, the sooner the understand what is wanted from Ange.

I'll never understand the apologists who somehow try to rationalise signing players later rather than sooner not being a detriment.
It is a detriment, of course. But it's also a detriment to spend more money than we have to to complete a deal.

How much more would you like us to spend to get him in a couple of days earlier in this situation?

We're not signing Gallagher in January. We have enough in midfield as it is and Madders is due back soon. If we go for him, it'll be in the summer, when the price will be £10-20 million lower.
I think we might try. If we can get Werner and Dragusin over the line early and find a suitable offer for PEH.

It is a detriment, of course. But it's also a detriment to spend more money than we have to to complete a deal.

How much more would you like us to spend to get him in a couple of days earlier in this situation?
also worth saying that the media love to suggest Tottenham are haggling - you literally never read it about any other club - Levy has that reputation so when a story doesn't advance quickly the tired lazy journo response is to say we're haggling. Even Romano does it and he should know better.

Transfers take time, there's a man and his family's life involved, plus the selling club needing to ensure they have someone else lined up. I find it so dull when I read Levy is haggling again - if he was so hard to deal with it was impossible to work with him he'd have been bounced out of the job years ago. Hopefully now its Lange and Munn, following a set of criteria the club want to see met.

I accept that we have a figure we think he is worth and will negotiate to that figure. That doesn't change the fact that getting the player sooner rather latter is preferable. It's that simple really.

I accept that we have a figure we think he is worth and will negotiate to that figure. That doesn't change the fact that getting the player sooner rather latter is preferable. It's that simple really.
I think just about everyone agrees that getting the player sooner is preferable (in isolation).

The club negotiating to a fee they see as acceptable often takes some time though. So even though earlier would be better it's often not possible unless the club accepts paying quite a bit more.

Accepting that also means accepting it's sometimes a bit later than what would be preferred imo.

I think just about everyone agrees that getting the player sooner is preferable (in isolation).

The club negotiating to a fee they see as acceptable often takes some time though. So even though earlier would be better it's often not possible unless the club accepts paying quite a bit more.

Accepting that also means accepting it's sometimes a bit later than what would be preferred imo.
100%, at the same time fans are entitled to complain about the speed of additions, especially if as in the past the later arrival of incomings has hindered or damaged our prospects in a season.

I'm not claiming that to be the case here, but just speaking philosophically I can't accept that fans who complain about the timings of incomings are in the wrong. Anything can be done better and the fans are allowed to point out the things they have issue with. In the long run it probably doesn't make any difference. The administration of the club will do what they do regardless.

100%, at the same time fans are entitled to complain about the speed of additions, especially if as in the past the later arrival of incomings has hindered or damaged our prospects in a season.

I'm not claiming that to be the case here, but just speaking philosophically I can't accept that fans who complain about the timings of incomings are in the wrong. Anything can be done better and the fans are allowed to point out the things they have issue with. In the long run it probably doesn't make any difference. The administration of the club will do what they do regardless.
Anyone can complain as much as they want to.

I don't know about right or wrong. But I have wondered about how much more people would want us to spend to get things done quicker.

For me the value of getting a better deal, that saved money adding up over time, making more Sarr type signings possible, seems higher than getting players in a couple of days or a week early.

Anyone can complain as much as they want to.

I don't know about right or wrong. But I have wondered about how much more people would want us to spend to get things done quicker.

For me the value of getting a better deal, that saved money adding up over time, making more Sarr type signings possible, seems higher than getting players in a couple of days or a week early.
Exactly this. The club has a budget and players that it needs to get in. If they start paying an extra 5-10 million here and there, it'll mean less wiggle room to fill other holes in the squad with quality players. You pay an extra 5-7 for Dragusin and an extra 5-7 for another player and then come the summer you have 10-14 million less to spend on your first priority target (not only on a transfer fee, but also on wages). And it's not only saving money to make Sarr type signings, but also to get a Gallagher or a Todibo in a later window. It's a long game; never a one-window thing.

Not only that, but when you are seen as a club that habitually pays the extra 5/10/15 million, the asking prices will go up and hamstring you even more. Just take a look at United. They pay the extra money and now even a club with their financial might needs to cut back and sell before they buy.

The point seems that he has 18 months left on his contract. Chelsea don't want a player to get in the last 12 months (lose value). Might not be true but that is the narrative.
They will still have the summer window to sell him though. And in the meantime, they will probably try to get him to sign a new contract, which may be a tough ask, given he is not necessarily a guaranteed starter when all their midfield options are fit and firing. So if they want to sell him in Jan, they'll have to agree to a price that we are willing to pay. If they do, great. If not and they are unsuccessful at getting him to sign a new deal, then we're in the driver's seat. No need for us to panic or overspend and if he does sign a new deal, we move on. In Lolo, Sarr, Biss, Madders, and potentially Kulu we have some pretty good midfield options. This is not an area to go balls in on now, in my opinion.

Good replacement for the Napoli panic.

Let's just see what happens. It's not done, it may become done. These kinds of rumours about other clubs being interested are quite common in these deals imo and usually not indicative of much.
'Yeah....I had a 20 minute chat with Ange...then a 20 minute chat with Tuchel....it had to be Bayern, Tuchel was so impressive'.

Said no-one, ever.

Back