• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Putin & Russia

There was an obvious solution from the start that our cowards in chief didn't even consider - sign Ukraine up to NATO.

It's possibly not too late. If Ukraine were to become a member today, it might be enough to get Putin to turn back.

I think that is passed now - it would be seen as an act of aggression and is just as likely to quickly escalate the situation than it is to act as deterant.
It would also cause the likes of China to ask questions about what they need to do.

Utterly mad day, I'm gobsmacked that he has decided to go full-on rather than just Donbass (I'd always thought he would do that, even though it isn't right) and having seen his speeches it looks like he has gone full scale nutcase. He seems so unhinged at times which is a very marked change.

Wife has been in tears since the morning, franticly ringing family and friends to make sure their okay. Friends in Moscow are staggered he has done this, in Russia there is still a lot of "their my brothers/sisters" attitude, likewise with Russian work colleagues here too. Some Ukrainian colleagues have husbands in Ukraine who are not allowed to leave now that the war has started, they will need to stay and fight.. Terrible, terrible day.

Now I have the prospect for securing servers in the Kyiv office and wondering what will happen in the Moscow one if further sanctions from America mean we're not allowed to operate within Russia.

I think that is passed now - it would be seen as an act of aggression and is just as likely to quickly escalate the situation than it is to act as deterant.
It would also cause the likes of China to ask questions about what they need to do.
It seems to me as if force is the only language little men like Putin understand.

He will happily invade neighbours when all the West does is say nasty things about him. I don't think he's stupid enough to risk a war against the combined NATO forces.

Question to Stoltenberg just now by a journalist 'accidentally' referred to Putin as Hitler before correcting herself. Well done.

It seems to me as if force is the only language little men like Putin understand.

He will happily invade neighbours when all the West does is say nasty things about him. I don't think he's stupid enough to risk a war against the combined NATO forces.
He is not in a rational state of mind according to some close observers of the Kremlin. I have seen a few comments that his pre/post covid isolation behavior seems markedly different.

He is not in a rational state of mind according to some close observers of the Kremlin. I have seen a few comments that his pre/post covid isolation behavior seems markedly different.
If that's the case then halfharsed sanctions are even less likely to have an effect.

Since the immediate post was period, Russia has made the presence of buffer states between it and it's perceived enemies as an on going strategic aim. Losing 20 millions dead does that I'm afraid. I see this invasion as an extension of that policy. I really didn't think Putin would do it, but he has gone right off the reservation with this one.

He's already been in charge long enough to go full authoritarian, but it looks like he's got to the age where he's more concerned about his legacy than the interests of the country and its people. If the west wanted to end this quickly he should probably just be taken out.

Also
He's already been in charge long enough to go full authoritarian, but it looks like he's got to the age where he's more concerned about his legacy than the interests of the country and its people. If the west wanted to end this quickly he should probably just be taken out.
why do you think he doesn’t stand within 20 feet of anybody? It’s not because of Covid.

That is the million dollar question.
If his goal is "stop the west keeping the USSR from being apart", he might take the route that war is the only way, because NATO doesn't have an appetite for a war on its own soil.
I think he'll push it. But who knows.

It’s such a minor point considering the gravity of the situation but it irks me so much when people refer to Ukraine as “The Ukraine”, which is an abbreviation of when it was indeed a USSR state. Even if the posts / statuses are well intentioned it doesn’t change the lack of awareness and people doesn’t usually appreciate being corrected.

It’s a common habit the Anglosphere has got into, but Ukrainians seem to be fairly polite/tolerant at reminding people that it’s actually pejorative. I remember the BBC read out a few letters to this effect when the film Woman At War was a story a few years ago.

It's a shame the opposition in Russia has been so poisoned out of existence. When their bodies start piling up too is usually when you'd expect a coup in a country that has any semblance of civil society. Unfortunately Russians seem quite masochistic about their leaders

Also for Russia as a country. With a global oil phase out over the next decade, it suddenly starts to look a bit more like Greenland. This is probably it's last few years at the top geopolitical table.

Also for Russia as a country. With a global oil phase out over the next decade, it suddenly starts to look a bit more like Greenland. This is probably it's last few years at the top geopolitical table.

Phased out? reduction possibly, phased out not a chance.

Those online flight tracker sleuths on the internet claim Roman Abramovich's private jet is heading to Moscow.

Vlad calling in his money?

Back