• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poll: Which of the following was your best win under Sherwood?

Which of the following was your best win under Sherwood?

• Home PL 3-0 win vs Stoke, Dec 2013

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Home PL 2-0 win vs Crystal Palace, Jan 2014 – First home PL win against Palace..

• Home PL 1-0 win vs Everton, Feb 2014

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
AVB lost 5 games mate, Arsenal away, West Ham at Home, City Away, Saudi Sportswashing Machine at Home and Liverpool at Home, He also drew with Utd at Home, Chelsea and Everton to complete the round of rival clubs. Sherwood lost Away at Liverpool and West Ham, Home to Arsenal and City but beat Utd, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Everton. As for the cups Sherwood faced West Ham and Arsenal domestically both of whom had already beaten AVB’s team. Sherwood faced Benfica in the Europa League who were the eventual runners up.

It’s splitting hairs but Sherwood’s record against the clubs considered our rivals was slightly better. It was a horrible season tbf, makes me shudder thinking about it but the point is, that despite the venom that is directed his way, Sherwood certainly did no worse than AVB perhaps slightly better.

Exactly.

according to wikipedia, Sherwood won 15 lost 8, AVB won 17 lost 5, 4 draws each

@Robspur12 @DTA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_Tottenham_Hotspur_F.C._season
That is because you are counting the tougher cup games that Sherwood lost which is hard to make a direct comparison between the 2. The results I compared were games in the League that both managers had managed corresponding fixtures, a slightly fairer comparison imo.

I am not trying to make the point that Sherwood was somehow much better than AVB, but rather no worse and the vitriol against him is based on dislike for his personality rather than the games he managed at Spurs.

Any way I have spent far too long on this pointless thread. The only good thing about that season was my son was born at the end of it (in April 2014), I took a break from football and when I came back we had Poch.

Last edited:
That is because you are counting the tougher cup games that Sherwood lost which is hard to make a direct comparison between the 2. The results I compared were games in the League which both managers were involved in.

I am not trying to make the point that Sherwood was somehow much better than AVB, but rather no worse and the vitriol against him is based on dislike for his personality rather than the games he managed at Spurs.

I’d counter that any perceived strength of schedule is offset by summer signings getting up to speed.

I’m just trying to make the point that Sherwood did not improve things, the narrative is that AVB’s second season season was a failure, “if” that was the case then surely Sherwoods entire tenure was a failure too.

Personally I think he wormtongued his way into the job and his friendship with the Redknapps loosened his tongue to the press during AVB’s time, when your manager comes out in his first press conference and says “football is a simple game” alarm bells should start to ring, he wasn’t qualified to do the job. To bring it back to my original point in this thread, having Sherwood as your manager is embarrassing, Villa and Swindon fans would surely say the same.

I’d counter that any perceived strength of schedule is offset by summer signings getting up to speed.

I’m just trying to make the point that Sherwood did not improve things, the narrative is that AVB’s second season season was a failure, “if” that was the case then surely Sherwoods entire tenure was a failure too.

Horses for courses mate. You could say Sherwood had to pick up a demoralised team having suffered some big losses. He also didn’t have a pre season so had very little time to prepare between games.

Neither tenure could be described as a success surely? Not in the context of that season when we suffered so many heavy losses and negative goal difference. Were it not for the fact that we somehow qualified for Europe and had some very good players in an unbalanced squad, it could have been mistaken for 90s Spurs. In that respect Sherwood deserves credit for seeing us through to a reasonable end.

Personally I think he wormtongued his way into the job and his friendship with the Redknapps loosened his tongue to the press during AVB’s time, when your manager comes out in his first press conference and says “football is a simple game” alarm bells should start to ring, he wasn’t qualified to do the job. To bring it back to my original point in this thread, having Sherwood as your manager is embarrassing, Villa and Swindon fans would surely say the same.

Don't know any Swindon fans but I do Villa fans and a lot of them are pro sherwood.

He is in China dude. A league that is throwing ridiculous money at the overrted, the past it and the never had it. AVB IS IN THE NEVER HAD IT catogory
It's throwing money at some very established managers, some of whom have some pretty decent trophy cabinets at home - AVB's isn't bad.

Have a look at his company:
https://www.transfermarkt.com/chinese-super-league/auslaendischetrainer/wettbewerb/CSL

You may not rate it much, but it's a long way from getting sacked by Villa

Bloke who has won multiple trophies/titles and has only really had two poor half seasons as a manager never had it...

Bet Sherwood wishes he could blag a career as good as that :p

On a separate note seeings as this has become the 'can't get over arguments on the internet from 5 years ago' thread - i think that Everton and Koemans troubles this year have gone someway to back up what a few of us were saying at the time - AVB had it hard with our transfer dealings that summer.

Bloke who has won multiple trophies/titles and has only really had two poor half seasons as a manager never had it...

Bet Sherwood wishes he could blag a career as good as that :p

On a separate note seeings as this has become the 'can't get over arguments on the internet from 5 years ago' thread - i think that Everton and Koemans troubles this year have gone someway to back up what a few of us were saying at the time - AVB had it hard with our transfer dealings that summer.

Unfortunately he does not have the billionaire connections of AVB to keep getting parachuted into these jobs. The 2 poor 1/2 seasons were in the only “elite” league he managed in. As for the season he did well at Spurs well as it has often been said he had Bale make him look good, just like Chris Coleman has benefitted in the Wales job. Poch hasn’t won any trophies yet but his performance as a coach in an Elite League is absolutely in comparable with AVB. I am sure he wouldn’t trade what he is doing with Spurs for the Russian and Portuguese league trophies or even the Europa League. Poch is rightly receiving plaudits as a top coach and has spurs challenging for the PL and in the Champions League. AVB? Well he is wittering on about car crashes in China. He should know, his career in England was one.

It’s not even like AVB has one over Sherwood in the personality stakes either

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/st...-games-in-russia-for-striking-official-090315

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/chin...angzhou-evergrande-of-engineering-car-crashes

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...rs-says-former-spurs-boss-andre-a3360841.html

He’s a bit of a jumped up brick really when things don’t go his way. Imagine the the bile that would have spewed forth if Any of those articles been attributed to Sherwood rather than the slick Portuguese one.

Last edited:
Unfortunately he does not have the billionaire connections of AVB to keep getting parachuted into these jobs. The 2 poor 1/2 seasons were in the only “elite” league he managed in. As for the season he did well at Spurs well as it has often been said he had Bale make him look good, just like Chris Coleman has benefitted in the Wales job. Poch hasn’t won any trophies yet but his performance as a coach in an Elite League is absolutely in comparable with AVB. I am sure he wouldn’t trade what he is doing with Spurs for the Russian and Portuguese league trophies or even the Europa League.

It’s not even like AVB has one over Sherwood in the personality stakes either

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/st...-games-in-russia-for-striking-official-090315

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/chin...angzhou-evergrande-of-engineering-car-crashes

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...rs-says-former-spurs-boss-andre-a3360841.html

He’s a bit of a jumped up brick really when things don’t go his way. Imagine the the bike that would have spewed forth if Any of those articles involved Sherwood rather than the slick Portuguese one.

didn't he get started in football through impressing Bobby Robson as a teenager whilst he was managing Porto, then worked his way up through the ranks internally to the point of being head coach? Not sure what billionaire connections had to do with that compared to say hard work and showing enough ability to earn promotions and trust from the people in position of power.

Slick Portuguese one? I think it's widely acknowledged he's a bit of a dingdong and hard to get along with and it's probably that more than anything which has cost him his jobs at Chelsea & Spurs (through losing the backing of the players) he certainly got a rough enough time of it from the British media during his time in the PL so im not sure what you're getting at with those articles - especially when in the media Sherwood is generally painted as a bright English manager (well untill he fudged up every job he had and they couldn't run that line anymore)

Last edited:
didn't he get started in football through impressing Bobby Robson as a teenager whilst he was managing Porto, then worked his way up through the ranks internally to the point of being head coach? Not sure what billionaire connections had to do with that compared to say hard work and showing enough ability earn promotions and trust.

Slick Portuguese one? I think it's widely acknowledged he's a bit of a dingdong and hard to get along with and it's probably that more than anything which has cost him his jobs at Chelsea & Spurs (through losing the backing of the players) he certainly got a rough enough time of it from the British media during his time in the PL so im not sure what you're getting at with those articles - especually when in the media Sherwood is generally painted as a bright English manager (well untill he fudged up every job he had and they couldn't run that line anymore)

I can imagine he interviews very well too. Probably says all the right things and wows the person asking him questions.

Reactions: DTA
didn't he get started in football through impressing Bobby Robson as a teenager whilst he was managing Porto, then worked his way up through the ranks internally to the point of being head coach? Not sure what billionaire connections had to do with that compared to say hard work and showing enough ability earn promotions and trust.

Slick Portuguese one? I think it's widely acknowledged he's a bit of a dingdong and hard to get along with and it's probably that more than anything which has cost him his jobs at Chelsea & Spurs (through losing the backing of the players) he certainly got a rough enough time of it from the British media during his time in the PL so im not sure what you're getting at with those articles - especually when in the media Sherwood is generally painted as a bright English manager (well untill he fudged up every job he had and they couldn't run that line anymore)

He was given a leg up by Bobby Robson and worked as opposition scout not head coach. On the basis of scouting reports he put through the letter box of Bobby Robson whose complex he was rich enough to live in. He took this position with him to assist Mourinho until going it alone at Academica. He was then appointed head coach by Porto who took a gamble on someone they knew. Since then he has lucked out. There are hundreds of hard working coaches who would given their right arm for the opportunities that have fallen into his lap.

Last edited:
Reactions: DTA
He was given a leg up by Bobby Robson and worked as opposition scout not head coach. He took this position with him to assist Mourinho until going it alone at Academica. He was then appointed head coach by Porto who took a gamble on someone they knew. Since then he has lucked out.

So he didn't get parachuted in to that job, nor start his career through billionaire connections then? It was earned off his own back

Glad we cleared that up.
I can imagine he interviews very well too. Probably says all the right things and wows the person asking him questions.

Is that supposed to be a negative?

Considering he was only here a little over a year the impact he managed to have on some of you is quite staggering

Back