• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poll: Which of the following was your best win under Sherwood?

Which of the following was your best win under Sherwood?

• Home PL 3-0 win vs Stoke, Dec 2013

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Home PL 2-0 win vs Crystal Palace, Jan 2014 – First home PL win against Palace..

• Home PL 1-0 win vs Everton, Feb 2014

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For the most part, it's AVB's fans that vilify Sherwood. To some, AVB is their SAF. Whoever replaced him was going to get short shrift, the fact that it was Sherwood who admittedly is a bit of a joker made that transition exponentially worse.
I think its more than that Jurgen, I agree with what you say about Sherwood doing an Ok job - only Poch and AVB had better win % for the past twenty seasons. But with Sherwood there seems to be some hatred towards the guy that was there with many fans well before he was in charge of the first team - I have no idea if this stems from when he played for us or something else but it is very odd as didnt do anything that stood out to deserve such stick that I recollect. Then again these are the same fans who went absolutely nuts because Ghaly threw his shirt on the floor, as if he'd done a Sol Campbell or something....

It's Sherwood's staunchest supporters who refuse to acknowledge just how severe of a blight he was on our club.

I don't give a fudge about AVB, he had his chance and had potential, but he blew it.. I do give a fudge about a manager setting a horrible example as leader and figurehead of the club I love.

It's a sacred position and needs to be treated as such. Sherwood was and still is a stain, he epitomises everything that's wrong with the perception of football in England.

A snake oil salesmen in every sense and a horrible human to boot.

Does he have any staunch supporters? Or any supporters at all? Lol.

I see him as a bit of a clown who got lucky to have been given the job, did OK but was rightly drop kicked out the back door due to his lack of experience, temperament, skills etc.

I think its more than that Jurgen, I agree with what you say about Sherwood doing an Ok job - only Poch and AVB had better win % for the past twenty seasons. But with Sherwood there seems to be some hatred towards the guy that was there with many fans well before he was in charge of the first team - I have no idea if this stems from when he played for us or something else but it is very odd as didnt do anything that stood out to deserve such stick that I recollect. Then again these are the same fans who went absolutely nuts because Ghaly threw his shirt on the floor, as if he'd done a Sol Campbell or something....

Mate it's not just how he behaved during his time here for me. Have you seen the way he conducted himself at Swindon?

Accepted a role as 'director of football' then proceed to undermine the head coaches authority, saw the team relegated and then bailed out when the going got tough! You couldn't make it up.

It's just one questionable activity after another with this cretin. It's not his ability as a manager (or utter lack thereof) it's his inability to be a person of substance.

How about this: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...ood-aims-dig-at-tottenham-fans-fickle-nature/

Or this: http://www.caughtoffside.com/2015/0...dig-at-tottenham-manager-mauricio-pochettino/

I could go on, but I won't waste any more time. It's bad enough for me having to acknowledge this clam was ever our manager.

Does he have any staunch supporters? Or any supporters at all? Lol.

I see him as a bit of a clown who got lucky to have been given the job, did OK but was rightly drop kicked out the back door due to his lack of experience, temperament, skills etc.

You secretly wish he was still in charge, I can sense it.. Because he's English and he's a pwoper lad. :D

Mate it's not just how he behaved during his time here for me. Have you seen the way he conducted himself at Swindon?

Accepted a role as 'director of football' then proceed to undermine the head coaches authority, saw the team relegated and then bailed out when the going got tough! You couldn't make it up.

It's just one questionable activity after another with this cretin. It's not his ability as a manager (or utter lack thereof) it's his inability to be a person of substance.

How about this: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...ood-aims-dig-at-tottenham-fans-fickle-nature/

Or this: http://www.caughtoffside.com/2015/0...dig-at-tottenham-manager-mauricio-pochettino/

I could go on, but I won't waste any more time. It's bad enough for me having to acknowledge this clam was ever our manager.
What he did at Swindon was after his tenure at Spurs - The negative comments about him started waaaaay before he was even our caretaker boss, maybe even before he was coaching our academy or whatever youth level he was doing here at the time. As for the links you provided I dont think he's far wrong, and should be credited with giving Kane and Bentaleb their chance in the same way Poch has been praised in doing so with youngsters. I dont mind Sherwood in general, at least he doesn't just throw the usual cliches out there and gives his opinion whether its different to mine I still respect him for giving his honest opinion. But a lot of posters' summary of his managerial tenure is severely over the top, he steadied the ship and got us top 6 which allowed us not to backtrack in our aspirations and hand over the reigns to someone who's leading us to bigger and better things. Happy days....

What he did at Swindon was after his tenure at Spurs - The negative comments about him started waaaaay before he was even our caretaker boss, maybe even before he was coaching our academy or whatever youth level he was doing here at the time. As for the links you provided I dont think he's far wrong, and should be credited with giving Kane and Bentaleb their chance in the same way Poch has been praised in doing so with youngsters. I dont mind Sherwood in general, at least he doesn't just throw the usual cliches out there and gives his opinion whether its different to mine I still respect him for giving his honest opinion. But a lot of posters' summary of his managerial tenure is severely over the top, he steadied the ship and got us top 6 which allowed us not to backtrack in our aspirations and hand over the reigns to someone who's leading us to bigger and better things. Happy days....

Alright Tim, you can bugger off now :D No one's buying it.

Dude have you actually read those articles? Or have you just stuck to the headlines?

His quote on poch was hardly offensive in fact he said he is doing well (2015) although he does mention betaleb and Kane thus his (inflated) role in 'laying it out of poch'.... quite dillusional not offensive though is it.

The Or he other ones about the fans singing for Soldado... well that's true isn't it?

If you want to see an ex manager running his mouth off about us, look no further than that little charatan bitch AVB.

[QUOTE="harr1984, post: 979594, member: 409"]I think its more than that Jurgen, I agree with what you say about Sherwood doing an Ok job - only Poch and AVB had better win % for the past twenty seasons. But with Sherwood there seems to be some hatred towards the guy that was there with many fans well before he was in charge of the first team - I have no idea if this stems from when he played for us or something else but it is very odd as didnt do anything that stood out to deserve such stick that I recollect. Then again these are the same fans who went absolutely nuts because Ghaly threw his shirt on the floor, as if he'd done a Sol Campbell or something....[/QUOTE]

Hmm, maybe in some cases it is, Nayenezgani for example. But I do believe a direct correlation can be made between those who were big AVB fans who almost overnight went from being very patient supporters and always having the manager's back and defending the indefensible to being on the manager's back and being hyper critical of him (Sherwood).

As for Sol Campbell, I can't stand the guy and will never forgive him. But I also think it's about time we moved on from it, the club certainly has. We're no longer a mid table club whose only real goal is to beat Arsenal twice a season.

My dislike of him from before he became manager was from seeing him as a pundit on TV.

I've made the point enough times on this forum about the state of punditry in this country and how it closes the loop that makes it significantly more difficult for intelligent and insightful people to find work in English football. Not to mention the damage it does to the sport here as a whole. Sherwood was and is very much a part of that group. One of those people who prefers to scorn thinking and instead champion the kind of values that lead to people like Mark Noble having a career as a footballer.

Someone the other day mentioned the concept of a team of Sissokos, well a team of Sissokos is the logical conclusion of a Timmeh managerial career. The only problem being that there wouldn't be enough English people in the team to take them all out for a beer, a curry and a fight after a match, so he'd have to get Nigel Pearson in as assistant manager.

No that was despite AVB almost sinking a talented squad. What's AVB record at spurs like without Bale? Where is the Chalatan now?
If you're talking about AVB, he's getting paid a fudging fortune to be a football manager.

Not sure why people are even trying to make comparisons. It's like comparing Sissoko and some fat fudge kicking the ball around with his kid in the park. As much as there is a lot of disagreement about his ability, Sissoko is actually a professional footballer - like AVB is a professional manager. Sherwood's mental ability to be a top class manager is equivalent to the fat fudge in the park's physical ability to play at the highest level.

Last edited:
This thread has really made be think back to those times. In the nineties I'd look at the league table and be happy if Spurs were top half. Then BMJ came along and there was finally some optimism. Some belief that we were a decent team. I was GUTTED when the big man was given the boot. Ignoring Juande Ramos, our next significant manager was Redknapp...and that was one hell of a ride. Suddenly being a Spurs fan was fun. I mean, really fun. But I completely understood why he had to go.

AVB was great at first as well, but then it went sour. I don't necessarily buy into it all being Bale's incredible rise. Sure, he bailed us out in a few games, but generally we were attracting better players and, actually, AVB had a system and a structure. I think it got found out, or perhaps became less effective as more teams adopted 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 / 5-4-1 formations. There's probably a Michael Cox article on it.

Bale probably papered over the cracks as AVB lost the dressing room, then suddenly he was gone and AVB wasn't able to integrate the Magnificent Seven that replaced him. Sherwood came in, "reset" the players -- including Adebayor, who has always been an exceptionally talented player -- and reaped the benefit. For a while. He was never good enough to be more than a temporary appointment, and Levy knew it.

I see Sherwood's excellent win ratio being down more to Levy than Tactics Tim. It was a step in the squad getting to where we are now. Look at the lineup in the 2-1 win at Old Trafford:

Lloris
Walker
Dawson Chiriches Rose
Lennon
Capoue Dembele Eriksen
Soldado Adebayor

Used subs: Bentaleb, Kane, Chadli
Unused subs: Lamela, Friedel, Fryers, Fredericks

Not sure I've got the formation right, but that's not a terrible 1st XI. I've bolded the ones who I think would get into our current squad (ignoring any attitude problems). We also had Kaboul, Vertonghen and Paulinho around. I've bolded Bentaleb as he would probably occupy the Winks role in the current squad. Kane wasn't quite ready.

The 4-0 thumping of Saudi Sportswashing Machine, when I genuinely thought we were on the cusp of something great, features a similarly good lineup:

Lloris
Walker Kaboul Vertonghen
Naughton
Capoue Bentaleb
Lennon Paulinho Dembele
Adebayor

Used subs: Soldado, Townsend, Chadli
Unused subs: Dawson, Eriksen, Friedel, Kane

Seriously, give Poch that squad, keep Kaboul and Adebayor happy, and I reckon we qualify for CL.

Last edited:
This thread has really made be think back to those times. In the nineties I'd look at the league table and be happy if Spurs were top half. Then BMJ came along and there was finally some optimism. Some belief that we were a decent team. I was GUTTED when the big man was given the boot. Ignoring Juande Ramos, our next significant manager was Redknapp...and that was one hell of a ride. Suddenly being a Spurs fan was fun. I mean, really fun. But I completely understood why he had to go.

AVB was great at first as well, but then it went sour. I don't necessarily buy into it all being Bale's incredible rise. Sure, he bailed us out of a few games, but generally we were attracting better players and, actually, AVB had a system and a structure. I think it got found out, or perhaps became less effective as more teams adopted 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 / 5-4-1 formations. There's probably a Michael Cox article on it.

Bale probably papered over the cracks as AVB lost the dressing room, then suddenly he was gone and AVB wasn't able to integrate the Magnificent Seven that replaced him. Sherwood came in, "reset" the players -- including Adebayor, who has always been an exceptionally talented player -- and reaped the benefit. For a while. He was never good enough to be more than a temporary appointment, and Levy knew it.

I see Sherwood's excellent win ratio being down more to Levy than Tactics Tim. It was a step in the squad getting to where we are now. Look at the lineup in the 2-1 win at Old Trafford:

Lloris
Walker
Dawson Chiriches Rose
Lennon
Capoue Dembele Eriksen
Soldado Adebayor

Not sure I've got the formation right, but that's not a terrible 1st XI. I've bolded the ones who I think would get into our current squad (ignoring any attitude problems). We also had Kaboul, Vertonghen and Paulinho around. I've bolded Bentaleb as he would probably occupy the Winks role in the current squad. Kane wasn't quite ready.

The 4-0 thumping of Saudi Sportswashing Machine, when I genuinely thought we were on the cusp of something great, features a similarly good lineup:

Lloris
Walker Kaboul Vertonghen
Naughton
Capoue Bentaleb
Lennon Paulinho Dembele
Adebayor

Seriously, give Poch that squad, keep Kaboul and Adebayor happy, and I reckon we qualify for CL.

Good post mate. Bale is good at making managers seem better than they actually are; he's made Chris Coleman look like a competent Welsh Manager after all.

If you're talking about AVB, he's getting paid a fudging fortune to be a football manager.

Not sure why people are even trying to make comparisons. It's like comparing Sissoko and some fat fudge kicking the ball around with his kid in the park. As much as there is a lot of disagreement about his ability, Sissoko is actually a professional footballer - like AVB is a professional manager. Sherwood's mental ability to be a top class manager is equivalent to the fat fudge in the park's physical ability to play at the highest level.

He is in China dude. A league that is throwing ridiculous money at the overrted, the past it and the never had it. AVB IS IN THE NEVER HAD IT catogory

AVB was great at first as well, but then it went sour. I don't necessarily buy into it all being Bale's incredible rise. Sure, he bailed us out of a few games, but generally we were attracting better players and, actually, AVB had a system and a structure. I think it got found out, or perhaps became less effective as more teams adopted 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 / 5-4-1 formations. There's probably a Michael Cox article on it.

Lloris
Walker
Dawson Chiriches Rose
Lennon
Capoue Dembele Eriksen
Soldado Adebayor

Lloris
Walker Kaboul Vertonghen
Naughton
Capoue Bentaleb
Lennon Paulinho Dembele
Adebayor

Couldn' the same argument be made (pro Levy) for when AVB was in charge. Plus he had a genuinely world class bale at his disposal.... saving his sideswiays brick with a wonder goal. If you your argument is that Levy is a dapper im with you. If you are defending the charlatan AVB then nah mate...he got worse results than tactics Tim... with the same freaking squad

Is it selective to say within the same season with the same squad one man came out on top... And that man was not AVB.

did he?

AVB, only lost 3 league games that season, Sherwood lost the reverse fixture of all three along with a few others

we were unbeaten in the EL and LC under AVB, we were knocked out of both of them and the FAC under Sherwood

did he?

AVB, only lost 3 league games that season, Sherwood lost the reverse fixture of all three along with a few others

we were unbeaten in the EL and LC under AVB, we were knocked out of both of them and the FAC under Sherwood
AVB lost 5 games mate, Arsenal away, West Ham at Home, City Away, Saudi Sportswashing Machine at Home and Liverpool at Home, He also drew with Utd at Home, Chelsea and Everton to complete the round of rival clubs. Sherwood lost Away at Chelsea, Liverpool and West Ham, Home to Arsenal and City but beat Utd, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Everton. As for the cups Sherwood faced West Ham and Arsenal domestically both of whom had already beaten AVB’s team. Sherwood faced Benfica in the Europa League who were the eventual runners up.

It’s splitting hairs but Sherwood’s record against the clubs considered our rivals was slightly better. It was a horrible season tbf, makes me shudder thinking about it but the point is, that despite the venom that is directed his way, Sherwood certainly did no worse than AVB perhaps slightly better.

Last edited:
did he?

See robospurs12 post.

Back