• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poll: Which of the following was your best win under Sherwood?

Which of the following was your best win under Sherwood?

• Home PL 3-0 win vs Stoke, Dec 2013

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Home PL 2-0 win vs Crystal Palace, Jan 2014 – First home PL win against Palace..

• Home PL 1-0 win vs Everton, Feb 2014

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
he didn't though, I posted the stats last night, AVB won more and lost fewer games in that season with the same squad

And Robospur already dismantled that.
Ie. Not in the league, Sherwood was better in the league.. you can't compare the cups as the opposition was different/vastly inferior.

The question is who is the better manager not who done better in charge of Spurs in one particular season - I'm sure I don't need to explain the difference

The one season where most things were equal between the two would be the most obvious point of comparison. I'm Not sure how anyone can argue aganst that.

I didn't like AVB in the end, and was glad we got rid. To start with he made us very hard to beat which was good, and produced good results, but when Bale left it was so obvious that we were a defensive team relying on a 'superstar' to conjure up some magic rather than team play. He also couldn't handle not getting the players he wanted (as opposed to working with what he had), or pressure from the press. He may have come up with a good defensive tactical formula, but he's not a people person.

Sherwood is an idiot, you only have to hear him open his mouth. He was so desperate to show he was the antithesis of AVB's boring defensive football, that he gave opportunities to development players (saying he would save the club millions), and sent us out to all out attack. I think the players were good enough to get away with this at times, but it was tragically inept when it went bad. He also benefitted from releasing Ade from the shocking treatment he received from AVB - Ade was always a good player when he had a point to prove.

But if we're comparing Sherwood with AVB, it's not even close.

The one season where most things were equal between the two would be the most obvious point of comparison. I'm Not sure how anyone can argue aganst that.
But that excludes most of AVB's career... Needlessly limiting the sample size.

You think Sherwood would have matched AVB in Portugal or Russia? AVB actually managed to keep his job at Spurs for a year and a half. Overall he was a failure for us, but Sherwood got the boot after less than half of that time. And he's never had a manager job for a full year, never mind a full season. Why ignore that to look only at the 13/14 season? Looks a lot like you prefer focusing on that because it better suits your opinion.

AVB has proven himself a reasonable manger in several jobs. Thus he keeps getting well paid jobs. Sherwood has proven himself a failure in the 3 jobs he's gotten and thus no serious top flight club anywhere seems to even have an interest in him.

Nothing wrong with the comparison to get an idea of who done better in those circumstances but what you're doing is comparing two halves of one season and extrapolating the outcome to judge two whole careers - one laden with success, the other not...

Pretty sure you know this though and are just trolling so will try and leave it here.

See this is where you're letting your rather perculiar hatred/obsession of AVB cloud your judgement - Tim Sherwood on the same level as a multiple trophy/title winner - there's literally no argument to be made for that being the case and if uttered aloud in real life would likely see you dragged kicking and screaming to the looney bin (or given a spot on the Sunday Supplement)
Bill, you keep trotting out the multiple trophy winner line in your arguments; we are not talking about Guardiola, Mourinho or Wenger here. Heck his "trophy haul" doesn't even compare that well with Juande Ramos who many conclude was a disaster here even with a weaker squad. Roberto Di Matteo has an impressive trophy haul, do we rate him highly because of it? Poch has none do we respect him less than AVB because of it?

As for belittling some one's "peculiar" dislike of AVB, right back at you 're: Sherwood.

Last edited:
Couldn' the same argument be made (pro Levy) for when AVB was in charge. Plus he had a genuinely world class bale at his disposal.... saving his sideswiays brick with a wonder goal. If you your argument is that Levy is a dapper im with you. If you are defending the charlatan AVB then nah mate...he got worse results than tactics Tim... with the same freaking squad
Possibly, but I'd have to look at AVB's squads, which I don't think were as good at the start. Didn't we sign Vertonghen, Bad Ade, Lloris and Dembele on his watch? If so, he deserves some credit for that at least.

I am arguing that a lot of it is down to incremental squad improvement with Levy at the helm. I mean, give Poch a couple of seasons with our 2003 squad and there's no way we'd be thrashing Real Madrid! Michael Brown, really?! But I am defending AVB a bit too.

I see a lot of Sherwood's good performances as due to the new manager effect...the dead cat bounce. Players unhappy (and we had some very good players who were seriously underperforming), change manager, players happy. As much as we joke over FRAAB, there's a fine line between "express yourself" and "amble around the pitch with no structure". Redknapp somehow made it work, most of the time.

My suspicion is that another few months of Sherwood would have seen a downturn in results. I'll never know, but I think him being pushed before things went sour means that he's viewed with rose tinted glasses. Whereas the last few months of AVB were insipid after all the expectation of the summer before. Selling Elvis and signing the Beatles. I'll be able to laugh about it one day.

Bill, you keep trotting out the multiple trophy winner line in your arguments; we are not talking about Guardiola, Mourinho or Wenger here. Heck his "trophy haul" doesn't even compare that well with Juande Ramos who many conclude was a disaster here even with a weaker squad. Roberto Di Matteo has an impressive trophy haul, do we rate him highly because of it? Poch has none do we respect him less than AVB because of it?

On the scale of football managers it doesn't go from Guadiola and Mourinho to Tim Sherwood - it's quite possible to be a good manager but not at the level of the likes of JG and JM. A manager who wins leagues and trophies in several different countries is clearly someone who knows what they are doing regardless of whatever you want to throw at him for the leagues being weak or the club's being rich - it still takes a level of ability to win things, and these club's still have barren years when they appoint the wrong manager so it's clearly not a 'gimmie' for anyone who takes charge.

People get too wrapped up in what happens in England, if a player fails here he is forever tainted as a flop, same with managers - AVB not succeeding here doesn't make him a bad manager - if that was the case (ie below the level at which Sherwood us rated to use a yard stick from this thread) then he wouldn't have won leagues and trophies in separate countries or a continental competition. If you* can't see that and insist on labelling him a fraud or whatever then I think that points more towards a skewed view of football and what it takes to win than it does reflect on the man himself.

*Not you specifically just in general

As for belittling some one's "peculiar" dislike of AVB, right back at you 're: Sherwood.

The trophies are being brought in reply to someone saying that only the 6 months where AVB had the same team and squad as Sherwood is worth looking at when comparing the two.

The trophies alone do not tell the full story. I don't think anyone is saying that. Just that this information should be considered as well...

Back