• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Players we should not have sold

Kanoute and Ekotto (obvious loan) for me.

I don't think KPB would have turned it around at Spurs so keeping him around wouldn't have served any purpose.

Was very confused at the time as to why we sold Steed Malbranque. Apart from Berbatov and Keane he'd been arguably our best player in the season that had just finished when we sold him, and with the other two also being sold that summer we'd torn apart our attack, the best part of our team, and replaced it with Bent, Pavlyuchenko and Bentley. And Damien Comolli wonders why he got sacked?

I think Kranjcar was always going to leave as he wanted first team football, but I think we under used him when he was here. He scored a lot of goals from midfield, which was something we hadn't had for years. That last minute screamer against Bolton, the volley against Sunderland a week later and the goal where he skinned Adebayor to put us 3-0 up against City were all pure class.

Steven Pienaar is another one. He was dog**** every time he played for us apart from against Milan at the San Siro. But his performances for Everton before and after his spell with us show that he has got some talent as a player. Not really sure why it didn't work out here. Lack of confidence? Didn't fit in in the dressing room? Injuries? Poor man management? Not really sure, but it seemed as though Harry never really rated him.

I think Kranjcar was always going to leave as he wanted first team football, but I think we under used him when he was here. He scored a lot of goals from midfield, which was something we hadn't had for years. That last minute screamer against Bolton, the volley against Sunderland a week later and the goal where he skinned Adebayor to put us 3-0 up against City were all pure class.

Steven Pienaar is another one. He was dog**** every time he played for us apart from against Milan at the San Siro. But his performances for Everton before and after his spell with us show that he has got some talent as a player. Not really sure why it didn't work out here. Lack of confidence? Didn't fit in in the dressing room? Injuries? Poor man management? Not really sure, but it seemed as though Harry never really rated him.

Not for the upcoming United game, but for quite a few of our games this season I would have taken back both Kranjcar and Huddlestone in a flash. Their ability on the ball has been exactly what we've been missing.

Pienaar though... Not so sure ;)

Berbatov, Modric and possibly Bale are all players that, despite getting financial gain for, we have never truly replaced.

I've always felt that, had we managed to keep Carrick at the same time we added Berbatov to the squad, we could really have pushed on then. Yet another missed opportunity in a fair old history of those at the club, and, for me, still the one that has dented our ambitions the most in the last 30 years.

VDV is the only one I can think of we really, really should not have sold. For others I can find some legitimate reasons to sell, but he was a world class (or close) player who wanted to stay and we didn't get top top dollar for him. Still makes me mad thinking about it.

Corluka is a substantially better RB than Kyle Walker

I disagree. He was substantially better when Walker first replaced him I thought, but Walker has improved substantially since then.

Walker is also young enough that he might still become quite a lot better, Corluka is less likely to improve. Dropping (and then selling) an older player to make room for a younger player to gain experience to possibly improve to become a top class player makes a lot of sense in my book. I liked Corluka and thought he was underrated, but selling him at that time made sense.

But not much use if you want to play with attacking fullbacks or a high line

This is also true.

GB seems to think that we have an option to buy him back for the fee Swindon paid plus tuppence

Yeah. Apparently it's a fiddle to get round the maximum number of loan signings rule as for Swindon.

Last edited:
As of now, I really wish we still have Dempsey. He not only scored that crucial goal to help us beat ManU, but he also scored many tap-ins which we are not scoring now.

As of now, I really wish we still have Dempsey. He not only scored that crucial goal to help us beat ManU, but he also scored many tap-ins which we are not scoring now.

I was thinking the same thing - not really rated much on here but he did score some pretty crucial goals for us last season - you could see him burying the chances that we had against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Proven premier league goal scorer.....not many of those about in our team these days.

Back