• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Players we should not have sold

I disagree with all of these, although I have a soft spot for a lot of these players. Corluka no longer fitted the manager's plans, Bassong would not have got enough game time to regain form, Van der Vaart was not hard working enough to work in an AVB team and has hardly set the world alight since he left, Pav was **** 9 games out of 10 for us and Defoe wanted more games than we could give him.

Corluka is better back up then ANYONE we have had since selling him, I'd LOVE to see how many consecutive games Walker has played since his first game for us in 2009. With the rotation we do, Corluka would have offered us something no one else on that right side can seem to do and that's defend. Plus him and Lennon were a joy to watch.

Bassong is better than Dawson.

Van der Vaart was still a big game player and much more proven then the likes of Sigurdsson who came in and replaced him at the time. Before we decided to play Dempsey off of Adebayor instead. VDV and Adebayor were very good the previous year and we sort of split them up. Hard working? I can name a few players in this AVB team who aren't hard working so that could never have been a reason.

We got rid of a player who could score goals when given the opportunity and replaced him with well.. Louis ****ing Saha. Fair enough we got good money for pav and saha came in on a free but it just STINKS of Harry Redknapp, it wasn't needed.

Selling Defoe at the time was massively macaronic, then again it was Ramos so it never surprised me. Only to then sell both Keane and Berba 6 months later and have us resign Defoe less then a year later. Defoe was still a great option to bring on, he was still better then Bent.

Again, I disagree. He was very average in a Spurs shirt and although he has done well since, he would not have been given enough games for us to reach that level here

We could have actually played him in a position he could play for a start. KPB in defensive midfield always made me chuckle.

Had a very good debut against Boro though.

We could have actually played him in a position he could play for a start. KPB in defensive midfield always made me chuckle.

Had a very good debut against Boro though.

Yes we could but not many managers would do that when we had better players ahead of him

Corluka is better back up then ANYONE we have had since selling him, I'd LOVE to see how many consecutive games Walker has played since his first game for us in 2009. With the rotation we do, Corluka would have offered us something no one else on that right side can seem to do and that's defend. Plus him and Lennon were a joy to watch.

I rate Corluka but he doesn't fit the managers plans and must've been an expensive back up

Bassong is better than Dawson.

Bassong is a decent center back but he was struggling for form towards the end of his time with us and he would not have got enough game time to regain it. A shame, he's a decent player.

Van der Vaart was still a big game player and much more proven then the likes of Sigurdsson who came in and replaced him at the time. Before we decided to play Dempsey off of Adebayor instead. VDV and Adebayor were very good the previous year and we sort of split them up. Hard working? I can name a few players in this AVB team who aren't hard working so that could never have been a reason.

I like VdV a lot and was gutted when he left but if you want your players closing down from the front then he is not your man.

We got rid of a player who could score goals when given the opportunity and replaced him with well.. Louis ****ing Saha. Fair enough we got good money for pav and saha came in on a free but it just STINKS of Harry Redknapp, it wasn't needed.

I am not sure that I agree that Pav got goals when needed. I think that he was very patchy and was often anonymous. His three great goals a season looked great on MOTD though.

Selling Defoe at the time was massively macaronic, then again it was Ramos so it never surprised me. Only to then sell both Keane and Berba 6 months later and have us resign Defoe less then a year later. Defoe was still a great option to bring on, he was still better then Bent.

We obviously we not planning to sell both Keane and Berbs six months later. Defoe could not get a game at the time and wanted to play. The choice we had was break up a successful partnership and sell one of those or sell a player who was agitating for a move.

He was better than KPB at the time, as was Jenas

didnt warrant him playing defensive midfield though or being sold. It's just one of those who wasnt given a proper chance and was moved on. Which is why I didnt put him in my list.

didnt warrant him playing defensive midfield though or being sold. It's just one of those who wasnt given a proper chance and was moved on. Which is why I didnt put him in my list.

I think that player have to earn a chance and he didn't. He's gone on to do well since but letting him go can't have been a difficult decision at the time.

Just imagine...

............................Llois.....................
Walker....Vetonghen.....Dawson.....Ekotto/Rose

Lennon...Paulinhio/Sandro....Modic.......Bale
..........................Van der Vaart...............
........................Berbatov.......................

My judgement of Dempsey is very much clouded by the fact that I fricking loved that player. No real idea why, completely irrational when compared to his ability, his impact on the pitch, his length of time at the club, everything. And yet I really liked him.

Was very sad when I heard we'd sold him. Could have done with a few of his headed/ deflected/ tap in goals this season.

My judgement of Dempsey is very much clouded by the fact that I fricking loved that player. No real idea why, completely irrational when compared to his ability, his impact on the pitch, his length of time at the club, everything. And yet I really liked him.

Was very sad when I heard we'd sold him. Could have done with a few of his headed/ deflected/ tap in goals this season.

You can hardly blame him for wanting one last shot at home though and he weren't that good

I don't blame anyone for it, I can completely understand everyone's reasoning for the move.

Like I said, my like of Dempsey was completely disproportional to his actual ability! But he made me happy which is what football should be about I guess?

I disagree with all of these, although I have a soft spot for a lot of these players. Corluka no longer fitted the manager's plans, Bassong would not have got enough game time to regain form, Van der Vaart was not hard working enough to work in an AVB team and has hardly set the world alight since he left, Pav was **** 9 games out of 10 for us and Defoe wanted more games than we could give him.

And that is one of the problems, we are too workmanlike hence AVB preferring Holtby to Eriksen.

I liked both.

Always thought Dempsey was harshly criticized. Mainly because he had a slow start despite absolutely no pre-season whatsoever. Winner away at United and at the death equaliser at home to United should put him in our hearts forever. Worked ridiculously hard and always won free kicks.

This.
12 goals gone with him.
I know some will roar but if he came back in Jan on loan, he'd fight for the club and get on the end of some stuff…

As for the VDV comments, who would he be playing off right now? His biggest success was with Crouchy!!!

KPB comes to mind as a player we never gave a real chance and pushed him out the club.

Most of the big names over the last few years wanted out anyway for footballing or personal reasons so I don't really count them.

Absolutely. I was not happy when he was sold. It smacked of lazy management to me...

At the time it was a mistake to sell Pedro Mendes, he didn't want to remain a backup to Michael Carrick.
But as we now know, Carrick left not far after and we could really have used Mendes then - probably would have been key player for us for years.
Read the game well and was very solid holding midfielder, would have suited both Zokora and Jenas as type.
Luke Young did the same mistake when he thought he would never get games on the right back due to Stephen Carr.
As soon as Young left, Carr was out for a season and never became the same player again.
Young could have had a long and good Spurs career if he'd kept his cool.

Other than those we were helpless to prevent because they moved to clubs further up the food chain (Hoddle, Waddle, Gascoigne, Stewart, Ruddock, Campbell, Carr, Sheringham, Carrick, Berbatov, Keane, Modric and Bale), the ones that stand out for me are:

Jennings
Des Walker (released)
Ginola
Kanoute
van der Vaart

Definitely Kanoute.

Kaboul should have gone out on loan, not been sold.

Other than that I think most sales were the right decision.

Back