• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Players Out: Rumours and Discussion

The big question though: In case Soldado got injured, would you rather have Adebayor or Defoe on the bench? For me, Defoe is a decent impact sub, but he is clearly not the one to rely upon if he had to start week in and week out.

I agree with you on this, but the wrinkle is that this is a world cup year. And at the moment the England squad for strikers is wide open. As it will probably be his last chance to go to a World Cup, i think he would like to be a regular starter somewhere

In the first instance, if all things were equal (motivation, wages, etcetera) save for the playing ability....then I would definitely prefer to have Ade over Defoe. But Ade's motivation issues when benched and his huge wages mean realistically, Defoe would be the player I would go for. Plus, like I said ,sentiment.

And in response to RunTMC, true, but if Defoe were our main back-up man (with a younger striker as his backup), then it is entirely conceivable that he'd get called up anyway, seeing as he'd probably get plenty of minutes even with Soldado as our go-to forward. And I suspect 45 minutes at a CL-chasing top five club would be worth more to Hodgson than 90 minutes at, say, QPR.

Defoe is on lower wages than Adebayor. Of this I am sure. Ergo, keeping him as a back-up striker to Soldado makes sense, given that paying Ade 100k a week to sit on the bench is madness for a club of our financial stature. He is also old: old enough to hopefully accept that his days of being an undisputed starter are over. Ergo, keeping a contented, relatively cheap poacher as a back-up makes sense, even if that striker is less valuable tactically than a more rounded player like Ade.

Plus, sentiment comes into it as well. I would like him to retire here, if he wants to. I think he's earned it, being our fifth highest scorer of all time and all.

To me at least it's about having options in our team.

As far as I can see Defoe is essentially an inferior Soldado. Neither player is creative, neither player drops deep to create chances for others or get involved in buildup play, neither player is a target man or likely to win a lot of headers in a crowded box. Both players thrive when chances are created for them in or around the box.

If we find ourselves in a situation where a well organized team is defending well against us by parking the bus and we're not creating a lot of clear cut chances with Soldado on the pitch what chances when we bring on Defoe? To me at least, very little. And can we play them both at the same time? I struggle to see that working. Compare that to bringing on Ade, who in some games last season was further back than Bale on heatmaps in some games, who does create space for others, who likes to drift around the pitch and get involved, who does offer a more physical presence.

Another situation where we struggled last season was when teams put pressure on us high up the pitch and forced us into playing long balls. We've already lost one potential target for those long balls in Dempsey. I could easily see us struggle in a similar situation next season. Once again, what changes when we bring on Defoe? Very little as far as I can see. Ade on the other hand would offer some hold up play, a target for those long balls, a different problem for the opponents to factor into their playing style.

Unless we're bringing in a younger striker who is very strong physically I think selling Ade and thus leaving us with only Chadli and Bale as potential long ball targets and no tall striker would be a mistake. I haven't seen that we're anywhere near ready to not have that option in our squad.

To me at least it's about having options in our team.

As far as I can see Defoe is essentially an inferior Soldado. Neither player is creative, neither player drops deep to create chances for others or get involved in buildup play, neither player is a target man or likely to win a lot of headers in a crowded box. Both players thrive when chances are created for them in or around the box.

If we find ourselves in a situation where a well organized team is defending well against us by parking the bus and we're not creating a lot of clear cut chances with Soldado on the pitch what chances when we bring on Defoe? To me at least, very little. And can we play them both at the same time? I struggle to see that working. Compare that to bringing on Ade, who in some games last season was further back than Bale on heatmaps in some games, who does create space for others, who likes to drift around the pitch and get involved, who does offer a more physical presence.

Another situation where we struggled last season was when teams put pressure on us high up the pitch and forced us into playing long balls. We've already lost one potential target for those long balls in Dempsey. I could easily see us struggle in a similar situation next season. Once again, what changes when we bring on Defoe? Very little as far as I can see. Ade on the other hand would offer some hold up play, a target for those long balls, a different problem for the opponents to factor into their playing style.

Unless we're bringing in a younger striker who is very strong physically I think selling Ade and thus leaving us with only Chadli and Bale as potential long ball targets and no tall striker would be a mistake. I haven't seen that we're anywhere near ready to not have that option in our squad.

I did add that tactically Ade is a much more rounded player, and more valuable to the side. So I do agree with you in that sense. However, I feel keeping Ade as just another option and continuing to pay his massive wages while also (hopefully) offering Bale a new 150k a week contract, financing our current 50 million+ summer splurge and renewing the contracts of players like Kaboul (Who only has two years left, if I remember correctly) is also a huge mistake. Best let him go and get a younger, cheaper striker in, who can by all means be the strong, tall, deep-lying striker you indicate we need.

I did add that tactically Ade is a much more rounded player, and more valuable to the side. So I do agree with you in that sense. However, I feel keeping Ade as just another option and continuing to pay his massive wages while also (hopefully) offering Bale a new 150k a week contract, financing our current 50 million+ summer splurge and renewing the contracts of players like Kaboul (Who only has two years left, if I remember correctly) is also a huge mistake. Best let him go and get a younger, cheaper striker in, who can by all means be the strong, tall, deep-lying striker you indicate we need.

The difference in cost between keeping Ade and keeping Defoe is probably significant, but not massive. Ade is reportedly on less than 100k p/w and Defoe is probably on around 60k p/w I'm guessing. 40k p/w is around £2m over a season, so that's probably close to the maximum cost. Significant yes, but so are the tactical considerations.

I would be all for signing a younger striker with all those qualities that would accept being on the bench for most games, but with the quality to perform when called upon for a price we can afford without selling Bale. Not easy to find though I would think.

I think, if we sell one of them, most likely it will depend on what kind of offers we receive for either of them. If we get a significantly bigger offer for either one I can see us selling that player and keeping the other whoever that offer is for. I just think that if it's a choice between the two of them Ade would offer us a lot more options in our squad and not leave us with only short strikers.

Didnt Defoe get 10 in about the first ten or so games? Then he got injured and did not start for a long time. He has goals in him when provided with an uinterrupted season. Adebayor? All the tactical nous in the world does not amount to a pile of beans, if the player doesnt care.

Didnt Defoe get 10 in about the first ten or so games? Then he got injured and did not start for a long time. He has goals in him when provided with an uinterrupted season. Adebayor? All the tactical nous in the world does not amount to a pile of beans, if the player doesnt care.

I agree 100% here, Defoe is a class act when fit and is Premier League class/ready. We would be foolish to get rid of someone that gets anywhere between 15-25 goals a season

For me the list of who can go would be:

Livermore
Parker
Ade
Huddlestone

"I'd love to have Jermain. We made an enquiry but at the moment he's not available," Redknapp said in the London Evening Standard.

"We're nowhere near anything. There is a small chance of it happening."

Can't see Defoe wanting to drop to the Championship during a World Cup year.

He won't be going to the World Cup sitting on the Spurs bench either. As it is he needs someone else to get injured or have a terrible season I think. Rooney and Sturridge are nailed on and Hodgson will probably want an option like Carroll. Question is: Will he want to bring a 4th pure striker? Walcott can play there as well.

Bundesliga outfit Stuttgart have no intention whatsoever of trying to sign Tottenham Hotspur midfield player Lewis Holtby this summer, according to reports in Kicker.

The highly rated Germany international has only been at White Hart Lane since the turn of the year, when the 22-year-old arrived in north London from Schalke 04 on a four-and-a-half-year deal for a fee of just 1.5 million euros.

And in his first six months at Tottenham, Holtby featured in 17 matches overall in all competitions for the club, including 11 contests in the Premier League, although the player has still to register his first goal or assist for his new team in that time.

However, there have been no suggestions from Tottenham head coach Andre Villas-Boas that he is unhappy with his recent acquisition or that the German is up for sale in the summer transfer window either.

Meanwhile, Stuttgart director of sport Fredi Bobic has also now come out to rubbish suggestions that his club are keen on bringing the player back to the Bundesliga next season.

All of which means that Holtby is now free to continue his pre-season preparations ahead of the start to the new Premier League campaign, with the goalscoring midfield player expected to be given a more prominent role in the Spurs team by Villas-Boas going forward.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/08/08/stuttgart-rule-out-audacious-move-for-tottenham-midfielder/

QPR seem to think they are getting Scott Parker from us after our latest new CM signing.
I cant see AVB letting Scott leave unless the player really wants to and cant see him dropping down into the Championship can anyone else?

He won't be going to the World Cup sitting on the Spurs bench either. As it is he needs someone else to get injured or have a terrible season I think. Rooney and Sturridge are nailed on and Hodgson will probably want an option like Carroll. Question is: Will he want to bring a 4th pure striker? Walcott can play there as well.

Hmm yes good point, I would like him to stay, I think him and Ade will both be pushed by Soldado to perform and Defoe is capable of scoring important goals off the bench.

QPR seem to think they are getting Scott Parker from us after our latest new CM signing.
I cant see AVB letting Scott leave unless the player really wants to and cant see him dropping down into the Championship can anyone else?

If we bring in Capoue I can see AVB letting Parker go.

Personally I would have let Parker go just after signing Paulinho as I think Parker's worth to us has diminished greatly. AVB has relied quite heavily on him though and he's been close to ever present in pre-season so even though he's likely to be Sandro's backup it seems like AVB really wants a Sandro/Parker type player in the team. If we sign Capoue though we will have both of them ahead of Parker in the queue for that role. Surely that must mean that we can let Parker leave.

If Parker will be happy about QPR? I struggle to see it. More likely to be one of the smaller PL clubs, I think there are clubs that can afford him that will want him.

Bundesliga outfit Stuttgart have no intention whatsoever of trying to sign Tottenham Hotspur midfield player Lewis Holtby this summer, according to reports in Kicker.

The highly rated Germany international has only been at White Hart Lane since the turn of the year, when the 22-year-old arrived in north London from Schalke 04 on a four-and-a-half-year deal for a fee of just 1.5 million euros.

And in his first six months at Tottenham, Holtby featured in 17 matches overall in all competitions for the club, including 11 contests in the Premier League, although the player has still to register his first goal or assist for his new team in that time.

However, there have been no suggestions from Tottenham head coach Andre Villas-Boas that he is unhappy with his recent acquisition or that the German is up for sale in the summer transfer window either.

Meanwhile, Stuttgart director of sport Fredi Bobic has also now come out to rubbish suggestions that his club are keen on bringing the player back to the Bundesliga next season.

All of which means that Holtby is now free to continue his pre-season preparations ahead of the start to the new Premier League campaign, with the goalscoring midfield player expected to be given a more prominent role in the Spurs team by Villas-Boas going forward.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/08/08/stuttgart-rule-out-audacious-move-for-tottenham-midfielder/

I would be absolutely shocked if Holtby were to leave.

Really, he shouldn't have even arrived until this window!

It was said in some other thread that Parker was at another game today. Anyone know anything about this, have a source or something like that?

With that possibly being the case and the picture of what seemed to be Capoue at the ground today surely that's the end of Parker's time at Spurs?

I think we should just accept that everything that happens at Spurs is part of some conspiracy, but at the same time not part of any plan.

I'd imagine if Bale has been sold that it will be announced today.

Why? A couple of days before the Internationals, for Bale to make an appearance in the media, and almost a week ahead of our first Premiership fixture so that we can all adapt to a Spurs without Bale. Would be rubbish revealing that he's moved to Real Madrid a day before the season starts etc

Will be rubbish when he leaves anyway but timing will be crucial.

Back