• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

I don't understand this post being that Baldini could (and probably did) identify the 'talent' long before he became our DOF.
I think it is very unlikely that Baldini identified players in isolation and before he had discuss priorities/plans with Levy and AVB.

Every club signs players who turn out not to live up to expectations. We signed a couple last summer but I don't see the need for this constant spacegoating.

quite simple....a few years ago we got it right by signing a croatian called Modric for 16milliion, we got it very wrong by spending 16million on this guy.

at the time looking back I wanted this deal over the line, perhaps we should have asked ourselves why this signing was so easy, its not like we were having to fight off all the other top European teams clamouring for his signature.

oh dear it finally comes home to roost! we really have spunked most of the Bale money on total dross haven't we ?:
(

I don't totally agree, I think the jury is still out. Out of the 7 we signed, only two have been complete disasters (Paulinho and Chiriches) so far. Maybe three if you want to count Soldado. If Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela and Capoue really kick on this year it's not been spent on dross at all.

For four out of 7 young signings to come good in a league that none of them have ever set foot in before isn't that bad IMO. The only thing you could say is that Pauline, Chiriches and Soldado make up the guts of 50 million of the spend. Shows, you don't always get what you pay for in football (which is why it's so hard and why 4 outta 7 aint bad)

I don't totally agree, I think the jury is still out. Out of the 7 we signed, only two have been complete disasters (Paulinho and Chiriches) so far. Maybe three if you want to count Soldado. If Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela and Capoue really kick on this year it's not been spent on dross at all.

For four out of 7 young signings to come good in a league that none of them have ever set foot in before isn't that bad IMO. The only thing you could say is that Pauline, Chiriches and Soldado make up the guts of 50 million of the spend. Shows, you don't always get what you pay for in football (which is why it's so hard and why 4 outta 7 aint bad)

Unfortunately, as you point out, its the fact that those those three account for roughly 50 million pounds. 50 million!!! That is a terrible waste. Scandalous really.

Lamela, while looking better this season looks miiiiiiiiiiiiles off a thirty million signing; whilst Eriksen and Chadli we're the cheapest out of the lot: we could have just bought those two for a combined 20 million and been done with it.

Just a note of caution. Eriksen looked very decent last year, anonymous this. Chadli is having a decent run at the start of this season, anonymous last. Capoue? Easily as many dire games as decent ones. Lamela, improving, but still no goal in the league from a 30 million forward, well into his second season. These players are far from roaring successes yet and have a very long way to go.

Last edited:
I think it is very unlikely that Baldini identified players in isolation and before he had discuss priorities/plans with Levy and AVB.

Every club signs players who turn out not to live up to expectations. We signed a couple last summer but I don't see the need for this constant spacegoating.

=D>=D>=D>

Unfortunately, as you point out, its the fact that those those three account for roughly 50 million pounds. 50 million!!! That is a terrible waste. Scandalous really.

Lamela, while looking better this season looks miiiiiiiiiiiiles off a thirty million signing; whilst Eriksen and Chadli we're the cheapest out of the lot: we could have just bought those two for a combined 20 million and been done with it.

Just a note of caution. Eriksen looked very decent last year, anonymous this. Chadli is having a decent run at the start of this season, anonymous last. Capoue? Easily as many dire games as decent ones. Lamela, improving, but still no goal in the league from a 30 million forward, well into his second season. These players are far from roaring successes yet and have a very long way to go.

I totally agree with you, just saying that I still think it's a little too early to absolutely say, 'We spent the Bale money on dross'. The 30million on Pauline is looking like probably our worst signing ever to be honest, but I'm not sure that Soldado can't get a few goals yet if Poch works the system in some kind of way that he fits in.

Only time will tell I suppose.

I can't see him turning this around now . I think he'll be back playing in Brazil soon enough and for a knockdown fee . I think we'll be lucky to get half for what we paid for him .

I'm gutted how its turned out for our three Brazilians .

He's not a £30m forward.

He's a £30m winger/attacking midfielder.

Plus he's not £30m, he's £26m plus incentives. Plus the £26m was inflated as Roma didn't want to sell. Supposedly he was not on high wages, so as I've pointed out before the overall value of the deal is probably the same as when we signed Ade for £5m or Scott Parker for £8m.

He's also only 22 and this is effectively his first season in English football given his injury problems last season. The fee was paid for the potential, not for what player he is now. We spent £10m on Gareth Bale when he was 17. When you take into account fee and wage inflation in the period, its not too dissimilar at transfer as at that time.

Same goes for Chadli and Eriksen etc. The only players who were bought for the players they were 'now' were Soldado and Paulinho, who seemed to be identified prior to the decision to sell Bale.

Re. Baldini signings, I think we can say that Eriksen, Lamela, Chadli and Capoue have all looked good and not so good in spells, but you can see that they are good players. Aside from Lamela, I wouldn't say that we over paid for any of them.

Soldado came with a pedigree, I don't think anyone could see him failing quite this badly (failing yes, perhaps). I thought he'd do well, for what it's worth.

Chiriches is a total mystery to me. Not just last night's game, but almost every time I see him play, I have no idea how he got signed as the answer to any of our centre-half questions.

Paulinho is just a total disaster, we've maybe seen a glimpse of talent in just over a season, but blink and you missed it.

Nobody has been a resounding success yet, but maybe Poch will change that.

Knowing how trigger happy Levy is, Baldini must have 1 foot out the door already. If the bulk of those players don't impress this season, he'll surely be out. Started well though, with regards Chadli and Lamela this season. Capoue is doing alright at the minute, Eriksen is stuttering a bit, but he was the best of the bunch last term and he didn't cost that much in any case.

I'm all for giving our players time, but they must show a little something. Lamela shows something, even Soldado does. Paulinho shows nothing at all and that's why so many have given up on him (me included). Would love him to turn into Frank Lampard, but I won't hold my breath!

Chiriches is almost certainly Baldini signing. Roma wanted him seriously before we jumped in.

Not necessarily true. Chelsea were also apparently seriously looking at him prior to us signing him, interest that peaked due to his performance against them in the Champions League. He could well have been on the list of scouting reports AVB gave Levy which supposedly went a long-way to getting him the job in the first place. The same one that Chelsea are rumoured to still be using to this day!

Not necessarily true. Chelsea were also apparently seriously looking at him prior to us signing him, interest that peaked due to his performance against them in the Champions League. He could well have been on the list of scouting reports AVB gave Levy which supposedly went a long-way to getting him the job in the first place. The same one that Chelsea are rumoured to still be using to this day!

AVB did say we were looking at other Romanian players after he was signed.

Re. Baldini signings, I think we can say that Eriksen, Lamela, Chadli and Capoue have all looked good and not so good in spells, but you can see that they are good players. Aside from Lamela, I wouldn't say that we over paid for any of them.

Soldado came with a pedigree, I don't think anyone could see him failing quite this badly (failing yes, perhaps). I thought he'd do well, for what it's worth.

Chiriches is a total mystery to me. Not just last night's game, but almost every time I see him play, I have no idea how he got signed as the answer to any of our centre-half questions.

Paulinho is just a total disaster, we've maybe seen a glimpse of talent in just over a season, but blink and you missed it.

Nobody has been a resounding success yet, but maybe Poch will change that.

Knowing how trigger happy Levy is, Baldini must have 1 foot out the door already. If the bulk of those players don't impress this season, he'll surely be out. Started well though, with regards Chadli and Lamela this season. Capoue is doing alright at the minute, Eriksen is stuttering a bit, but he was the best of the bunch last term and he didn't cost that much in any case.

I'm all for giving our players time, but they must show a little something. Lamela shows something, even Soldado does. Paulinho shows nothing at all and that's why so many have given up on him (me included). Would love him to turn into Frank Lampard, but I won't hold my breath!

They've all shown enough that we get the idea of what they can do and what type of players they are, but until the team starts playing well nobody is going to fulfill their potential. Poch still needs to sort out the mixture of players he puts out there, last night's team will never do more than scrappy wins.

I can't see him turning this around now . I think he'll be back playing in Brazil soon enough and for a knockdown fee . I think we'll be lucky to get half for what we paid for him .

I'm gutted how its turned out for our three Brazilians .

I was thinking corinthians must have been laughing when we bought him for 16 million. Can we not offer him back to them in exchange for a playmaker? They must have someone half as good as Paulinho who can see a pass!

Watched the Everton - Krasnodar game before watching Spurs. Krasnodar had two Brazilians Ari and Wanderson, neither have played for the national team and neither have cost much more than £5m, both showed more in one game than I've seen Paulinho,a full international and integral part of the Brazilian national team, give us in his entire time at Spurs. It's time for him to move on.

Watched the Everton - Krasnodar game before watching Spurs. Krasnodar had two Brazilians Ari and Wanderson, neither have played for the national team and neither have cost much more than £5m, both showed more in one game than I've seen Paulinho,a full international and integral part of the Brazilian national team, give us in his entire time at Spurs. It's time for him to move on.

I hope we're seeing a new sort of signing regime with Poch now though. Signing players for a relative small cost, small investments that can come good (like Dier, Stambouli, Fazio etc). There's not a lot to lose, and the pressure on the respective player is far less. Instead of doing as we have been doing over the last years, signing socalled "established" players for premium fees.

I've pretty much lost all hope of Paulinho ever becoming good, I just don't see what the "experts" see in him. He hasn't played a good game of football for well over a year (I'm not even sure he was all that good before he joined us, but so people tell me).

Most of the other players we signed last summer are all showing good signs. I'm a bit worried about Soldado not getting enough game time (he just needs to play and get some service, got a good brain for football when he's turned on), but Capoue is slowly getting to grips, it seems, Eriksen was good last season, and will only get better, Chadli is finally proving his worth, and Lamela is my new favorite player simply for his work rate. Give him a season or two and he's probably off to Real.

Chiriches though, damn, he just needs to grow a brain.

I still think there are some people out there who rate Paulinho and I still think we could get 11m - 12m for him if sold sooner rather than later.

Chiriches is almost certainly Baldini signing. Roma wanted him seriously before we jumped in.

I should have sworn just prior to Baldini leaving Roma reports stated they were going all out for Tin Jedvaj, who we also briefly joined the race for when Baldini joined. As it turns out Roma got him and then our attention turned to Chiriches. No doubt a Baldini signing, but the Roma link seemed to be coming from his agent rather than the club in 2013, I think he was on their radar but Jedvaj was the higher priority.

Back