• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

He looks more like that polish 2nd division player with every game. Confidence totally shot and needs a 6 month loan to Spain desperatley. Haven't seen a player deteriate so rapidly like him.. From Confederations winner and player of tournament candidate to what we see now.

Yeah but this is where our assessment of players falls down. We didn't see past the Corinthians and Brazil performances and look at his history and character, the fact that he came back from Europe before as a failure and his wife had to talk him it of quitting foorball. Such a fair-weather mentality player. He plays well when he feels comfortable close to home and his family. Weak.

The issue is, Lamela and Soldado have shown (limited) flashes of brilliance. Dembele has gone off the boil but used to be class, so there's always the hope he could recover some form. Stambouli hasn't really had many chances to show us what he can do.

Paulinho has had plenty opportunities to convince me that he should be ranked as high as even our 2nd worst midfielder of the past decade. But he fails to take them every time.

What a load of rubbish in my opinion. Until that scumbag Adams put the damper on him last season, Paulinho showed ten times more skill and effectiveness than Lamela has in the same amount of games. But as I said, some players are spacegoats, others untouchables...

What a load of rubbish in my opinion. Until that scumbag Adams put the damper on him last season, Paulinho showed ten times more skill and effectiveness than Lamela has in the same amount of games. But as I said, some players are spacegoats, others untouchables...

Are you crazy, did you watch him last season?

Bar a couple of goals, up until the Stoke game, large proportion of fans were already questioning him and his technique... The Stoke game came and he showed a couple of flicks and turns and people thought, heck maybe there is some technique in there..... THAT WAS IT. Also let's not try and pretend that the performance in that game was anything special either - the guy has flattered to deceive for 90mins for 1.5 years now. At least Lamela has shown some proper ability and in Europe has looked a class above other players in some games. Paulinho hasn't looked a player for us other than in a couple of finishes and flicks here and there. Not that he is a messiah, but Glenn Hoddle called this back last oct and said he couldn't believe this guy had played for Brazil - guy is a fraud who has got a big money move off the back of two good seasons and his nationality.

I agree though that people look for any positives in the likes of Soldado and Lamela far more so than other players.... IMO they get way too many excuses made for them compared to others. Then again when I watch them i see some real talent in there at times despite their performances , whereas with Paul I see very little.

Football is crazy eh? It amazes me that anyone who has seen Paulihno play since he has been at Tottenham think he is worth persisting with. I dont think Lamela and Soldado will ever be effective in the prem. Not bad players but not suited to the pace and physicality of the premiership, but at least they show some skill, awareness and commitment. We will be lucky if we get a third of what we paid for him back when he is inevitably sold. LCLC's post above is spot on about the guy

Football is crazy eh? It amazes me that anyone who has seen Paulihno play since he has been at Tottenham think he is worth persisting with. I dont think Lamela and Soldado will ever be effective in the prem. Not bad players but not suited to the pace and physicality of the premiership, but at least they show some skill, awareness and commitment. We will be lucky if we get a third of what we paid for him back when he is inevitably sold. LCLC's post above is spot on about the guy

His lack of pace is the thing that's costing most in the Premiership, cant get away so ends up taking the simple option, biggest let down since Bentley or Bent!

His lack of pace is the thing that's costing most in the Premiership, cant get away so ends up taking the simple option, biggest let down since Bentley or Bent!

Harsh on Bent. He was pretty much just a goal-scorer who got on the end of passes and finished. He continued doing that for us when given the chance.

You don't have to have pace to be a great Premiership player. Neither does pace make a player. Lack of pace is not any of those three players' problems. Neither of the three are slow, they're just not Walker-fast. Majority of players aren't. If Lamela's pace is what prevents him from getting away from players, how come Modric and even Van der Vaart used to skip past players? They're hardly lightning. It's the intelligence and knowledge and confidence that is alluding him at the moment. It's the knowledge that when he beats his man in Serie A he will have loads of time as that's how its played over there, but in the Premiership you beat your man and release quickly or go down for the free-kick, as you don't have time to beat the 2nd man or look fancy. Honestly I think with Lamela it could (and I mean could, with the right coaching, not will come) come because the tools are there. I think he's a lot more physical than people give him credit for and his skill is obvious. For me its just getting used to what is going on around him and how to play in the Premiership.

Paulinho and Soldado just aren't suited IMO.

You don't have to have pace to be a great Premiership player. Neither does pace make a player. Lack of pace is not any of those three players' problems. Neither of the three are slow, they're just not Walker-fast. Majority of players aren't. If Lamela's pace is what prevents him from getting away from players, how come Modric and even Van der Vaart used to skip past players? They're hardly lightning. It's the intelligence and knowledge and confidence that is alluding him at the moment. It's the knowledge that when he beats his man in Serie A he will have loads of time as that's how its played over there, but in the Premiership you beat your man and release quickly or go down for the free-kick, as you don't have time to beat the 2nd man or look fancy. Honestly I think with Lamela it could (and I mean could, with the right coaching, not will come) come because the tools are there. I think he's a lot more physical than people give him credit for and his skill is obvious. For me its just getting used to what is going on around him and how to play in the Premiership.

Paulinho and Soldado just aren't suited IMO.

I agree with everything you say but your last sentence. Paulinho would flourish if he played at Chelsea in the Lampard role IMO, not saying he'd be at Lampards' level but just think he's taylor made for that role - dont think Spurs allow for such a position in the team though.

Soldado is suited for the PL, what dont you think he can do? He has demonstrated strength to hold the ball up and bring others into play, and has shown intelligence with his passing and skill on the ball - these are things strikers not suited to the PL can't do. The only thing he hasnt shown is the killer instinct in front of goal that he had shown in Spain, he has spurned a lot of chances. That has nothing to do with being suited to the PL, more a confidence thing or something else but he was converting these chances in Spain...

Why would Spurs fans want to see a Spurs player failing?
Being proven correct on player opinions seems pretty important to some people on here, tbh.

Paulie's not great or anything, not been worth 17m, but for his goals alone he's not as entirely devoid of merit as is often made out on here.

Like I've said previously I can see how he could be effective if he was used in a different way, but that's irrelative because he won't be. He has shown skill now and again, on the whole he hasn't produced - but I was responding to how he's treated in comparison to Soldado and Lamela and its a fair point I think....

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I agree in that there are far too many positives sought whenever the aforementioned put in a 6/10 display. With paulinho he is 100% a level below them in anything approaching a decent performance - the guy is seriously poor.

I do a appreciate your point tho on 70m worth of 'talent' - in fairness I think it's desperstion to BELEIVE that we didn't spend that much on those three players.

I agree in that there are far too many positives sought whenever the aforementioned put in a 6/10 display. With paulinho he is 100% a level below them in anything approaching a decent performance - the guy is seriously poor.

I do a appreciate your point tho on 70m worth of 'talent' - in fairness I think it's desperstion to BELEIVE that we didn't spend that much on those three players.

No, far too many negatives are sought when he puts in a 6/10 display. If Paulinho performs no better or no worse than the rest of the team, he gets singled out for extra abuse and the prevailing opinion is he barely qualifies to be a footballer. He would need to put in an outstanding performance for anyone to say he was merely good.

It's quite a bizarre treatment of one of our own players, it really is.

No, far too many negatives are sought when he puts in a 6/10 display. If Paulinho performs no better or no worse than the rest of the team, he gets singled out for extra abuse and the prevailing opinion is he barely qualifies to be a footballer. He would need to put in an outstanding performance for anyone to say he was merely good.

It's quite a bizarre treatment of one of our own players, it really is.

Exactly this, noone is saying he's been amazing or even close to that - but plenty of times he has been decent enough, certainly no worse than the majority on the pitch but its him that gets singled out.

Very odd, but its something that will never change on here I suspect....

As Roland says above says because we have paid so much money for Paulihno Soldado and Lamela expectations are naturally very high and when you see him bottling out of challenges and ambling back from aforward run when the other team is on a swift counter is infuriating. The sad thing is we will only get a fraction of what we paid for them when they are inevitably sold.
I have said it before but us supporters must be wrong because successive managers have picked him for club and country, but I fail to see what he brings to our team. Seen him play enough times and think he is a very, very average player. If we had paid half the fee for him I would still think it was wasted money. Same for Soldado not a bad player but every game I think it is going to come good for him and he will score a hat trick but he just cant do what we bought him for and that is score goals. Game after game he gets enough chances, he will probably go back to Spain and score loads

What scares me is Poch seems to think there is something there, was really hoping this guy would be a January offload.

What scares me is Poch seems to think there is something there, was really hoping this guy would be a January offload.

Does he? Or does he just get a look in as you can't play a full season and 3 cup competitions with just Bentaleb and Mason?

If he only played in cups, I'd accept it, but seeing him brought on in PL games?

Of late when he's come off the bench in games he's done a job- nothing spectacular but effective enough. Really not a big deal...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Back