• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Personally I think he is best in the middle of a 3 man CM, he is the one that will find the space and make the runs better then our other options. He is wasted as a deeper two ( imo).

Makes him rather limited in my view and if true I think several other players in our squad are ahead of him for that position.

Probably best for everyone involved if he's moved on.

Its been a recurring thing the last couple of seasons, playing players out of position. Look at Siggy, goes back to Swansea and has 2 goals and 7 assists already this season, yet in a lot of his games for us he was largely ineffectual although I always thought he was a goal threat for us. Dembele? How many goals did he get for Fulham before he came to us? He now look totally ineffective when he plays now, doesn't do anything, goes past a player or 2 runs into blind alley stops turns back doesn't release the ball. What is his best position? I could go on about various players. What I'd like to know is why can us fans see it but our managers cant?

Siggy got chances in his preferred position, but the problem for him and our other attacking players the problem was that we didn't move the ball quickly enough to them in space. Swansea are still much better than us at this and so no surprise that he's done better.

Dembele really didn't score a lot for Fulham, despite playing further forward than for us for most of his career there. Most of the problems we have with him (lack of goalscoring, slow passing, not enough intent) were highlighted by Fulham fans when we first signed him.

Makes him rather limited in my view and if true I think several other players in our squad are ahead of him for that position.

Probably best for everyone involved if he's moved on.

It would be for the besr I guess, the point I was trying to make is that he is not a bad player just used poorly by us.

It would be for the besr I guess, the point I was trying to make is that he is not a bad player just used poorly by us.

Totally agree with this none of our squad are bad players just not being used in the right position/system to get the best from them.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However after your thoughts on Fazio and you writing him off after a couple of games I see no point in debating this with you has you see things and make rash judgements on players and I would be wasting my time.

Fazio still lacks key attributes but is starting to look like a solid player. Show me anything I have said on the player that isn't based on fact.

Regardless, with paulinho - this argument about he needs the right system, essentially means he needs great players around him to carry him......

He is not up to playing in a 2 man midfield, he hasn't got the touch or vision to play 10..... In a 3 he can do a job as long as he had a dedicated holding player in there and an absolute ball player along side - that easentially is carrying someone and for 17m that is simply a disgrace.

Please can someone tell me what this magical system is where he will suddenly be a 20m midfielder? Tim vickery has tried to justify various things, but he would seeing how big he went on him early on. he has had a very uninspiring career other than 2 years at Corinthians. He doesn't looks particularly strong willed and certainly wasn't the player we thought we were getting when we shelled out that money. He has had three managers play him right across the midfield and he has been disappointing in every position.

This whole doesn't fit a system argument doesn't hold much weight with paulinho because he has shown very little in the way of basic footballing skills.

David bentley was a flat out number 10/forward but came to us and was played as a right winger because he had a good delivery. I didn't see this argument put forward for him? (He was actually good for us when we got CL) It must be the mystiq of being a brazilian that we must search for every excuse under the book to hope and pray that he will come good and be our saviour?

Fazio still lacks key attributes but is starting to look like a solid player. Show me anything I have said on the player that isn't based on fact.

Regardless, with paulinho - this argument about he needs the right system, essentially means he needs great players around him to carry him......

He is not up to playing in a 2 man midfield, he hasn't got the touch or vision to play 10..... In a 3 he can do a job as long as he had a dedicated holding player in there and an absolute ball player along side - that easentially is carrying someone and for 17m that is simply a disgrace.

Please can someone tell me what this magical system is where he will suddenly be a 20m midfielder? Tim vickery has tried to justify various things, but he would seeing how big he went on him early on. he has had a very uninspiring career other than 2 years at Corinthians. He doesn't looks particularly strong willed and certainly wasn't the player we thought we were getting when we shelled out that money. He has had three managers play him right across the midfield and he has been disappointing in every position.

This whole doesn't fit a system argument doesn't hold much weight with paulinho because he has shown very little in the way of basic footballing skills.

David bentley was a flat out number 10/forward but came to us and was played as a right winger because he had a good delivery. I didn't see this argument put forward for him? (He was actually good for us when we got CL) It must be the mystiq of being a brazilian that we must search for every excuse under the book to hope and pray that he will come good and be our saviour?

Since you ask...

"Ok in our team he will consistently be ****."

Unless there is some newly banned 4 star word I haven't picked up on I think that was more opinion than fact.

He looks more like that polish 2nd division player with every game. Confidence totally shot and needs a 6 month loan to Spain desperatley. Haven't seen a player deteriate so rapidly like him.. From Confederations winner and player of tournament candidate to what we see now.

Last edited:
Paulinho gets way to much stick! He's been good when he's come on lately. He got slaughtered after last game for what? He does bring something we desperately lack. Lack is a big understatement actually, as normally we don't have ANY of it; runs in the box, runs in behind the defence, and he was unlucky not to score the winner vs CP. He's not been world class, but he's miles better than Dembele, who a lot are screaming for to play, and Stambouli hasn't showed anything yet.

Paulinho gets way to much stick! He's been good when he's come on lately. He got slaughtered after last game for what? He does bring something we desperately lack. Lack is a big understatement actually, as normally we don't have ANY of it; runs in the box, runs in behind the defence, and he was unlucky not to score the winner vs CP. He's not been world class, but he's miles better than Dembele, who a lot are screaming for to play, and Stambouli hasn't showed anything yet.

not to mention Lamela and of course Soldado...

But then some players will always be spacegoats and others untouchables. I guess that is Spurs

The spacegoats generally being those not performing and the untouchables who are.
Please tell me what Lamela has actually contributed with of lately, except losing the ball constantly! I really want him to be good (The only shirt I have with player name on, is 11 Lamela), but he's been utter sh*t!

The issue is, Lamela and Soldado have shown (limited) flashes of brilliance. Dembele has gone off the boil but used to be class, so there's always the hope he could recover some form. Stambouli hasn't really had many chances to show us what he can do.

Paulinho has had plenty opportunities to convince me that he should be ranked as high as even our 2nd worst midfielder of the past decade. But he fails to take them every time.

Please tell me what Lamela has actually contributed with of lately, except losing the ball constantly! I really want him to be good (The only shirt I have with player name on, is 11 Lamela), but he's been utter sh*t!

I don't disagree ..

The issue is, Lamela and Soldado have shown (limited) flashes of brilliance. Dembele has gone off the boil but used to be class, so there's always the hope he could recover some form. Stambouli hasn't really had many chances to show us what he can do.

Paulinho has had plenty opportunities to convince me that he should be ranked as high as even our 2nd worst midfielder of the past decade. But he fails to take them every time.
When? He has barely featured this season, and hasn't done anything wrong in the games where he has. Last year he scored more goals (Eriksen aside) than the entire rest of the midfield combined! How is that failing?

Paulinho has actually showed glimpses of real skill too in his Spurs career and even some actual end product ie goals. But at the end of the day people only see what they want to see....

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Paulinho has actually showed glimpses of real skill too in his Spurs career and even some actual end product ie goals. But at the end of the day people only see what they want to see....

Why would Spurs fans want to see a Spurs player failing?

Come on man - he isn't very good. Glimpses of skill? Don't talk to me about a back heel on the turn..... Where is his passing range, touch vision etc?

Why would Spurs fans want to see a Spurs player failing?

I don't know if any Spurs fans do,not that it would surprise me! But some are quick to acknowledge certain players doing any positive thing of note, and sweep under the carpet the same sort of contributions of others. It used to annoy me, but just accepted its the way it is on here...

Come on man - he isn't very good. Glimpses of skill? Don't talk to me about a back heel on the turn..... Where is his passing range, touch vision etc?

Like I've said previously I can see how he could be effective if he was used in a different way, but that's irrelative because he won't be. He has shown skill now and again, on the whole he hasn't produced - but I was responding to how he's treated in comparison to Soldado and Lamela and its a fair point I think....

Back