• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pape Matar Sarr

Good player, still think Bentancur will be an upgrade but in a year or two Sarr will be an amazing player

Fully agree.

Will be interesting to see if his limitations on the ball can be improved over a couple of years of good coaching. But even with those limitations he's a really good player and for his age looks really mature and has taken to this level with ease this season.

If Bentancur gets back to his best he's on a different level. But that's hardly a criticism of young Sarr.

Thought he wasn't great against Woolwich. Looked a bit clumsy/sloppy on the ball. That said, he's 20, he'll have games like that. He did score against United too so overall, very happy with him this season and takes the pressure off having to throw Bentancur right back in.

An absolute steal by Paratici.

I think the lad is progressing into a top level player for us. Needs improvements in areas but they will come IMO

Hope you're right. I think we're in agreement. Depending on how one uses the term "top level" I maintain some doubts about him becoming a truly top level player.

I have no doubts that he can become good enough for a title challenging team. I have my doubts about him becoming a real difference making top level player. The kind that is just vital for an elite club. World class or close to it kind of thing.

But in this system, with the right players around him. He can become top class and really important. And an absolute steal at what we paid for him.

Hope you're right. I think we're in agreement. Depending on how one uses the term "top level" I maintain some doubts about him becoming a truly top level player.

I have no doubts that he can become good enough for a title challenging team. I have my doubts about him becoming a real difference making top level player. The kind that is just vital for an elite club. World class or close to it kind of thing.

But in this system, with the right players around him. He can become top class and really important. And an absolute steal at what we paid for him.

Plenty of players who are very very good who are crucial to sides that have won major trophies though. Being top of your field in your role can be absolutely anything, just look at Kante for example, if you take onto account what he does and the level he does it, it's absolutely top drawer, but if you expect him to be Jude Bellingham, he isn't.

I think the important part is recognising the player he is and is likely to be and not place expectations on the parts he is not. For me, or at least in my mind, he has the tools to be the player I think he is

Thought he wasn't great against Woolwich. Looked a bit clumsy/sloppy on the ball. That said, he's 20, he'll have games like that. He did score against United too so overall, very happy with him this season and takes the pressure off having to throw Bentancur right back in.

An absolute steal by Paratici.

Him, Udogie and Vicario for under £50 million in total.
Paratici could be jailed for theft soon.

Throw in Bentancur, Kulusevski, Romero, VdV and we're still under 200m I think. That's 7 bloody good players. Our recruitment has been really, really good for the last couple of years. Shame Paratici is an actual crook because he knows how to pick a player.

Plenty of players who are very very good who are crucial to sides that have won major trophies though. Being top of your field in your role can be absolutely anything, just look at Kante for example, if you take onto account what he does and the level he does it, it's absolutely top drawer, but if you expect him to be Jude Bellingham, he isn't.

I think the important part is recognising the player he is and is likely to be and not place expectations on the parts he is not. For me, or at least in my mind, he has the tools to be the player I think he is

I agree that being top of your field can happen in any role and we should be careful with comparing players across different roles. Kante was world class, no doubt. Kante was very good on the ball in his role, press resistant and am effective passer.

I think most roles these days require quite a bit more technically than Sarr offers now at least to be considered a top player or world class player. If, or how far, he can develop that or not is part of the question for me.

If he doesn't develop much in that regard he can still be a very good, effective and very useful player imo. Could also be first choice at a club like ours. But he won't be an elite or world class player imo. That's a high bar and you don't need only that level of players to be a great team of course.

To be a player in a top side does not need EVERY player in the side to be elite or world class ( imo), what it needs are players who are top class and others around them who are good and provide those who are top class with the service to show their talents. Hard to think of many teams ( or any) whose players are all classed as world class. Sarr just needs to be good enough to help the world class players to play their game.

Back