• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our "Big Name" players

Modric - Having seen him absolutely flounder in a fair few "big" games now, I am beginning to wonder if we really do over rate him.

Bale - We know that he CAN perform in big games, and again he scored today.

VDV - Thought he did OK in the first half, but went missing in the second. Another who tends to be hit and miss in the bigger matches.

Ade - Had enough of him. I want to see Defoe start ahead of him every single match now.

---

This defeat hurts (even though I have said from the outset that Chelsea ARE a better team than us with better players, and that it was AVB doing such a terrible job that has put them in this position) but I am really beginning to think that our so called superstars are nowhere near as good as we think and maybe it really is a case of this season we have OVER achieved earlier in the season, rather than blowing it.

We definitely need a refresh in the Summer. Two new full backs, at least one new centre half and we still need a new forward. And maybe, just maybe, selling our midfield superstar won't be such a tragedy after all.

Hurrah - at last some seem to be seeing the light. Tippy Tappy stuff with no end product from a central midfielder who is supposed to control games just doesnt cut it I'm afraid. Our slow, insipid tempo is almost solely down to him. Bench him. Give others with more hunger, bite and energy a run. Cant be any worse.

None of our big name players turn up anywhere near enough in the very biggest games to make the difference. As an example, we have now played 2 finals and 2 semi finals at Wembley and lost 3 of them.

When have any of our big name players stepped up in a situation like today and done what Drogba or Lampard did? People will point to Bale against Inter......a game we lost 4-3!

Im at the point now where I feel a clear out and re structuring of sorts is needed. I think Modric will agitate to leave regardless of champions league qualificationand I would be happy to let him go. VdV is 30 or almost and on a personal level I wouldn't be against selling him either to raises funds.

We just look like too many players have now hung around without achieving, drawing their wages. A fresh approach, with a fresh manager and some fresh players could be just what we need.

VDV is always too far from Adebayor.....its not good enough, Ade is isolated and also we never have anyone in the box when we cross the ball in

soo feckin frustrating

That is true, but that is what being a lone front man is about. The ball needs to stick.

When VDV drops deep the wingers should push on, Modric also if it is appropriate. VDV dropping deep retains possession for us and GHod knows we need that. VDV was the best Spurs player in the 1st half I thought. It's when he left that our midfield was outnumbered and overrun.

That is true, but that is what being a lone front man is about. The ball needs to stick.

When VDV drops deep the wingers should push on, Modric also if it is appropriate. VDV dropping deep retains possession for us and GHod knows we need that. VDV was the best Spurs player in the 1st half I thought. It's when he left that our midfield was outnumbered and overrun.

This=D>

good points....

but Ade is so isolated that even if he wanted to flick the ball off he has no-one around him. It doesnt always have to stick

I think Modric is more mismanaged than performing badly. Just see the way he moves with (and without) the ball and the way he releases it and it’ll all be evident. He constantly makes stuff happen, but in order for him to work perfectly he needs people around him doing the same. He’d be a world beater in Arsenal or Barca.

Modric as a central midfielder needs to weigh in with more goals. ?ú40 million and I'll drive him there myself. As much as he is a quality player he's far from irreplaceable!!!!

Inactuallythink he lacks the dynamic tha we need when the going gets tough and that's my biggest issue

good points....

but Ade is so isolated that even if he wanted to flick the ball off he has no-one around him. It doesnt always have to stick

I think the whole flick-on, big man small man tactic is percentage football that is dying out in the modern game. Its had its time but in my opinion and has been superseded by the mobile possession playing team.

For me Ade's primary role is to retain possession. A few goals too are nice but he needs to be the offensive platform off which we build our attacks.

I think Bale and Modric were fine.

Van der Vaart is a waste of space at the moment, slow, set pieces are poor and cant defend. He was great when he arrived but thats nearly two years ago now and he is not the same player, probably due to all his injury problems.

I have had enough of Adebayor, his miss in the first half is shocking, and why is he trying to round the keeper, i'll never know, hes never scored like that. We're playing 451, hes the only striker so he has to get us some goals. The worse thing is that hes laughing around before the game, not concentrated and even at half time when we're 1 down hes messing around.

Lmao you think vdv's set pieces are poor, yet they tinkle all over modric's from a great height. When VDV takes them they occasionally look dangerous. When Modric takes them it's like we're giving some game time to a kid with special needs. Anyone defending how Modric has being playing in the half of this season needs their farking head examined.

I think Modric is more mismanaged than performing badly. Just see the way he moves with (and without) the ball and the way he releases it and it’ll all be evident. He constantly makes stuff happen, but in order for him to work perfectly he needs people around him doing the same. He’d be a world beater in Arsenal or Barca.

Cue people moaning that he wasn't trying at Tottenham. No doubt the exact same people who reckon we're better off without him.

I think the whole flick-on, big man small man tactic is percentage football that is dying out in the modern game. Its had its time but in my opinion and has been superseded by the mobile possession playing team.

For me Ade's primary role is to retain possession. A few goals too are nice but he needs to be the offensive platform off which we build our attacks.

no no not flick ons wit the head, i meant the ball being played up to him and he being able to instantly flick it off with his feet to either Bale, Lennon, VDV running off him, flick to the sides, ahead of him, behind him, quick one twos etc

So if he goes to those clubs his ability to take a set piece, or a shot on goal will improve will it? Pray tell us why? So the reason that Modric has been playing crap is the players around him? gonad*s mickey mouse mentality. Modric isn't bigger than the club, or a better player than bale, VDV, adebayor, Lennon, Parker or Gallas. He is not irreplaceable and he is not the messiah some of you seem determined to make him out to be

Cue people moaning that he wasn't trying at Tottenham. No doubt the exact same people who reckon we're better off without him.

I think to a degree we are better off without him. Its quite obvious that the only way we will spend any money is by making a large sale. If as an example we sold Modric to finance.....just as an example buying Huntelaar and Leandro Damiao then I personally think, all things considered it would be a good move. Modric has made it clear that he would rather be elsewhere and given our second season of capitulation I can't say I blame him.

Its not that he isn't rated, it's just purely a case of maybe we need to move the player on in order to refresh the team and for him to refresh his career.

Modric has given us 4 years anyway, does he deserve to suffer any more like us long suffering fans

yep, best to part ways and we rebuild with the cash

Modric has given us 4 years anyway, does he deserve to suffer any more like us long suffering fans

yep, best to part ways and we rebuild with the cash

True dat, but let's not make him a long-suffering hero just because he's been here a while. He tried to walk out on his contract, and nearly fudged us over. Indeed, he may well have fudged us over. He hasn't exactly changed his name to 'Bill Luka Nicholson Modric'.

So if he goes to those clubs his ability to take a set piece, or a shot on goal will improve will it? Pray tell us why? So the reason that Modric has been playing crap is the players around him? gonad*s mickey mouse mentality. Modric isn't bigger than the club, or a better player than bale, VDV, adebayor, Lennon, Parker or Gallas. He is not irreplaceable and he is not the messiah some of you seem determined to make him out to be

I may have been a bit unclear in my initial statement. I’m not saying that the players around him are brick, what I meant to emphasize is that his strengths has not been utilized fully for the last 4 months or so. At first I was thinking it was because if injuries but now I’m just baffled, what used to be a free-flowing team has suddenly turned into a static performance week in and out. We are relying to much on individual magic than team effort. Ironically a team like Arsenal who have a very clear philosophy of style lack the players to perform it while we are in the opposite camp. This is not something that has suddenly happened, it is something that the management is responsible for. All players do not suddenly turn into crap like they have done for the last couple of weeks.

I think Harrys team has performed well but buckled under pressure, how is that really different from any other previous managers?

Oh, and also, I do sincerely not believe that set-piece-taking and shooting are the most important abilities of a deep-lying midfielder. And I also would like to add that other players who reportedly were experts in these kind of situations suddenly turned to brick in those areas, is that not more worrying and a tale of what really lies beyond? For me, the buck stops with Redknapp and he needs to get his act together for these last few games.

We are relatively one dimensional when it comes to making the bag bulge.
Modric is most effective in a three man midfield but one of the other midfielders needs to be a goalscorer. Is this VDV...?

We're less one dimensional than Arsenal or Barca, but yes, VDV is a goalscorer... He was our top goalscorer a couple of seasons ago and is more than capable of playing in the position that's the point of the diamond in a diamond 4-4-2, that's his best position (as far as position on the pitch goes, I'm not saying we should play a diamond 4-4-2, that'd be insane).

There's not really a huge problem there. We currently have Ade, Bale and VDV that can score goals, with various others chipping in, that's fine. It is slightly more one dimensional than would be ideal, but when you look at teams that play with a lone striker, it's what you're going to get most of the time.

-------------------------------------------------------

As for the rest of the thread, there just aren't words for most of it.

Ade - Had enough of him. I want to see Defoe start ahead of him every single match now.

*Facepalm.*

We never kept the ball enough

We kept it more than Chelsea until 4-4-2.

ok, so what is the point in Modric, we dont suit his style.

*Facepalm.*

we can take the 50 million from City and buy a player to play simple balls out wide for bale and lennon....whats the problem?

*Facepalm.*

This,stick to one system please.

That is debatable. If players are drilled to the point that they know a few systems, it gives you a plan B and it stops opponents from being able to know exactly what you're going to do, it also doesn't give you any opportunity to play players in their best positions if you can't play your first choice 11. You see Di Matteo play 4-2-3-1 every time, but he'll play players out of position on an epic scale. By contrast you can see Barca play a ton of different styles, but everyone is drilled... If they go a game without looking like they know exactly what they're meant to be doing their manager drills them. It'd be nice to be able to switch on the fly to something else if our formation puts us at a tactical disadvantage. For the most part, I'd like us to stick to 4-4-1-1 for most games, but without VDV we can't play that, so we need something else.

The argument is WHERE VDV playes. I say he plays up front. The other thing is that you can play any formation but if you play players out of position then you aren't proving anything.

For example, 4-4-2 with Modric on the left? Sure as hell isn't 4-4-2 is it?

This is why I'm having extreme difficulty replying to your posts. We all seem to have different ideas of which formation is which. (I seriously hope Harry explains to the players, or they're going to be like us.)

I totally agree with the players shaping the formation, I agree that when you play players out of position the formation itself is going to play out fudged and I agree that the "False Memories" thread is incredibly hard to read properly. (Personally because every 4-5-1 makes me think of 3 holding midfielders when we play Sandro, Parker and Modric and I don't remember seeing us play a 4-3-3 this season.)

VDV is always too far from Adebayor.....its not good enough, Ade is isolated and also we never have anyone in the box when we cross the ball in

soo feckin frustrating

If VDV was next to Ade and Ade was isolated, they'd both be isolated. If VDV is far from Adebayor, it means we're having trouble finding him when he's far from our midfield. VDV knows the flow of the game well enough that in his usual 4-4-1-1 role, he will go where he's needed.

We do sometimes, if Lennon or Walker cross the ball, at best, we can realistically have Ade, VDV and Bale in there. If BAE crosses the ball, we can realistically have Bale, VDV, Ade and maybe Lennon in there (for all the good that'd do), if Bale crosses the ball it's down to Ade and VDV with Lennon maybe lurking at the far post (despite being short), if Ade crosses the ball, we might have VDV and Ade in there... It's possible for Modric to cross the ball, but it's unlikely that Bale will be in there, so maybe Ade and VDV will be. If VDV crosses the ball, it's probably just going to be Ade, but Bale might be there.

However, that's assuming we try to hold possession for a few minutes so we can get people in the box. Our strategy today was to counter attack using the wings. The biggest problem with that is Bale, Lennon and Ade are the only people likely to be forward when a cross comes in. There was one scenario about 30 minutes in when we saw BAE play it quickly to Bale who then did a first time cross into the box... Lennon was our only player in there, VDV was just at the edge, John Terry won the header...

Today Ade crossed, VDV got to it, Lennon passed it back to him and he had a header cleared off the line. So it wasn't a total failure. Chelsea are well set up to defend that though.

Why does VDV have to keep dropping deep to pick up the ball. He gets a lot of cheap posesion that way, but I would prefer him to just stick to the hole in front of Adebayor. I cant imagine that this is part of some great tactical plan. Harry needs to sort it.

The great tactical plan is that 3 is greater than 2.

I will expand on this. Chelsea played Drogba, Mata, Ramirez (defensive box to box midfielder but played as a winger), Kalou, Lampard and Obi-Mikel. Chelsea aren't completely brick in the middle of their midfield. When VDV drops deep 2 things happen, firstly anyone marking him loses him, secondly Modric has someone to help him play his way out of midfield. You can see from Chelsea's team selection that Di Matteo is saying "fudge you Harry, we're going as defensive as we can on the wings, you're going to have to play through the middle"... Now if VDV stays with Ade, they can leave Obi-Mikel with him (likely) or even send Luiz forward a touch to deal with him (if he's way up there) as long as Bale and Lennon aren't pushing right up on their full backs and even then, they're likely to have Kalou and they will definitely have Ramirez in a position to defend against that and help their full backs out.

Either way, if VDV comes to halfway line, they definitely aren't sending Obi-Mikel all the way up the pitch with Lampard to leave a huge gap between their defence and midfield (if their defence is deep, which is pretty much has to be unless they want Bale and Lennon running in behind), they also aren't going to alter their defensive line purely because VDV moved. So most of the time, he's leaving Obi Mikel to give us an extra man close to the ball. Once in the first half, he went deep and Obi-Mikel followed him but Lampard had to go back to defend... That's when we attacked quickly and Lampard tackled Parker in the box.

But when he came deep, things often happened. But when he stayed things didn't happen. There are times when he's in the hole and has Obi-Mikel marking him and someone tries a long ball to him, Obi-Mikel wins that header every time I saw us try it. By contrast when he comes very deep (to the edge of our third), he's usually in a ton of space because they didn't like Lampard or Mikel going forward towards our box when we had the ball, they tended to stop around the halfway line. When we were in their attacking third and VDV came deep, Modric pushed forward.

It also meant he could run from deep, when that happened he was totally unmarked on a couple of occasions. In fact, in the second half when he did not receive the ball deep, that is when people on here said he became anonymous. Of course, him coming deep was what allowed him to hit the post (he had a ton of space then too), so there is more than enough evidence from that match that coming deep was what made his first half so good. You can even see some of his great passes from deep.

------------------

We actually played 4-5-1 today, as opposed to 4-4-1-1 that we usually play with VDV and Ade up top. I just don't understand why we did it.

VDV didn't come deep that often, he did a bunch of times but not all the time. He defended with the midfield which was normal (and worked well as their only real goal came from a long ball to Drogba), so there wasn't a whole lot unusual about it. Chelsea had the ball a lot of the time, so we were defending a lot of the time and Chelsea didn't let us camp in their attacking third. Obi-Mikel picked VDV up, that left Modric and Parker vs Mata and Lampard for the most part.... We either had Ade and VDV vs Terry, Luiz/Cahill and Mikel or VDV, Modric and Parker vs Lampard and Mata in the middle. (Sometimes Lampard and Mikel switched, but that was the general picture.)

-----------------------

Van der Vaart is a waste of space at the moment, slow, set pieces are poor and cant defend. He was great when he arrived but thats nearly two years ago now and he is not the same player, probably due to all his injury problems.

*Facepalm.*

He was only arguably our best player in the first half.

Did you watch our set pieces without him? His set pieces have created tons compared to the ones we had without him, even today King almost scored from one and Chelsea are very very very good in the air. (They sometimes leave their back post unmarked which is weird, but actually competing in the air is what they're good at.)

He runs from Ade to Parker all day but he can't defend? That's a bit harsh. Considering he is the extreme of an attacking midfielder, to the point that he's virtually a centre forward, what were you expecting from him? It's not the best part of his game by any stretch of the imagination but he did really well defending today. While he was on the pitch, they scored from a long ball to Drogba and got a goal that wasn't even a goal... It's hard to blame VDV for either of those. The only other player we have that is suited for VDV's position is Kranj and you can't tell me Kranj's defending is Baresi standard.

Yes, his injury problems... Modric broke his leg, Bale has missed months at a time with his injuries, King is a shadow of the player he was, Dawson has missed the majority of the season, Gallas has missed much of the season, Sandro somehow got injured despite not even playing that much, Lennon misses about 3 months of the season every year, Hudds has missed the entire season and has missed huge chunks of the season before too, but VDV's injuries have made him "a waste of space"? We still have fudging Bentley and Jenas on the books, Bentley is probably going to make the subs bench before the end of the season... Yes, VDV has been injured, but he's still the best finisher at the club and one of the best passers, if not the best.

The worse thing is that hes laughing around before the game,

Do you think things through before hitting enter?

The worst thing was that he was laughing before the game? If that's the worst thing, I don't think he has a problem.

VdV is 30 or almost and on a personal level I wouldn't be against selling him either to raises funds.

We got him in what was dubbed "the deal of the season", he has got a few years older since then, how much do you think we can get for him? Considering he's one of our best players and he is one of the players our team is built around, I'm not sure who you're going to find to play where he does that costs ?ú8 million, that's assuming the transfer fee has stayed the same even though VDV is older than he was.

Considering our game plan is "use the flanks and if that doesn't work, VDV and Modric can work their magic through the middle", I don't know if you're suggesting Kranj should replace VDV in a like for like swap or that we should buy someone to replace VDV, but if it is the latter, we already have to buy 1 CB, 1 midfielder, 1 high quality lone striker... We also should buy cover for all the positions we have no cover... We have ?ú50-?ú75 million at best, but we have a new stadium to build. Adding ?ú8 million to that but having to buy a starting quality player for VDV's position (and hope he can cover the places VDV can), it just sounds harder than keeping VDV.

Just see the way he moves with (and without) the ball and the way he releases it and it’ll all be evident. He constantly makes stuff happen, but in order for him to work perfectly he needs people around him doing the same. He’d be a world beater in Arsenal or Barca.

Or Real Madrid, Man United and maybe even Emirates Marketing Project if he isn't stuck with Barry.

Modric as a central midfielder needs to weigh in with more goals.

*Facepalm.* Trolling? What is this? ](*,)

I hope it's just a case of this thread removing any hope I had of detecting sarcasm.

Inactuallythink he lacks the dynamic tha we need when the going gets tough and that's my biggest issue

You mean he's not Peter Crouch, so when the majority of the team goes into a panic he's not there to win the long balls?

This.

I think to a degree we are better off without him. Its quite obvious that the only way we will spend any money is by making a large sale.

We put a ?ú20 mil bid in for Remy in January, we don't have to sell to buy, we don't have limitless funds though.

I may have been a bit unclear in my initial statement. I’m not saying that the players around him are brick, what I meant to emphasize is that his strengths has not been utilized fully for the last 4 months or so. At first I was thinking it was because if injuries but now I’m just baffled, what used to be a free-flowing team has suddenly turned into a static performance week in and out. We are relying to much on individual magic than team effort. Ironically a team like Arsenal who have a very clear philosophy of style lack the players to perform it while we are in the opposite camp. This is not something that has suddenly happened, it is something that the management is responsible for. All players do not suddenly turn into crap like they have done for the last couple of weeks.

I think Harrys team has performed well but buckled under pressure, how is that really different from any other previous managers?

Oh, and also, I do sincerely not believe that set-piece-taking and shooting are the most important abilities of a deep-lying midfielder. And I also would like to add that other players who reportedly were experts in these kind of situations suddenly turned to brick in those areas, is that not more worrying and a tale of what really lies beyond? For me, the buck stops with Redknapp and he needs to get his act together for these last few games.

I agree totally that the management has to take a large portion of the blame for our decline over the last four months as at times our tactics, first team selection, and squad rotation have all appeared highly questionable at times, and even Harry's fabled motivational skills appear to ave deserted him at a crucial stage f the season. I also find the media sound bites about us not practicing set pieces to be both. Ridiculous and incredibly worrying given that they have long been our greatest weakness both defensively and offensively.

HOWEVER the players must also share a large part of the blame and in particular our star players. It is no coincidence that our bad form as a team has coincided with modric's bad run of form, and whether people on here want acknowledge it or not he has been playing poorly for months. You mention how recently we have been relying largely on individual skill, and how this has changed from our free flowing football as if this is redknapp's fault, but which manaer got is playing that football I'm the first place. I'm afraid that one of the main reasons that we find ourselves in our current predicament is that our players have come to believe their own hype (in particular bale & Modric) and have ceased to deliver the dsame levels of effort and concentration and their performances have suffered accordingly.

Finally re the attributes required of a deep lying midfielder, well I believe that Modric is a play maker, and yes I would expect a playmaker to be ale to deliver a decent set piece, no matter if he is deep lying or to. Secondly I would expect a world class player to be capable of taking a decent corner and not shooting like a girl. If he is a deep lying midfielder whose primary attributes do not include set pieces or shooting then why the hell is he taking or corners and free kicks?.

Last edited:
Back