• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our "Big Name" players

I think the whole flick-on, big man small man tactic is percentage football that is dying out in the modern game. Its had its time but in my opinion and has been superseded by the mobile possession playing team.

For me Ade's primary role is to retain possession. A few goals too are nice but he needs to be the offensive platform off which we build our attacks.

Even if the ball is played into his feet to for him to hold up, VDV or whoever is playing along side him should be close to him. It's easier to retain possesion when you have people to pass to immediately after getting the ball under control.

I personally thing Bale and Luka both bottled it today. This doesnt mean we should shoe them out the door! We need a real leader, a captain in the Roy Keane mould to grab these two by the balls and ask them how much they want it!

Who that person is I really dont know! But we bottled it yesterday! Parker did his best, Ade and VDV and Lennon where ok, the rest, well simply under performed

That is true, but that is what being a lone front man is about. The ball needs to stick.

When VDV drops deep the wingers should push on, Modric also if it is appropriate. VDV dropping deep retains possession for us and GHod knows we need that. VDV was the best Spurs player in the 1st half I thought. It's when he left that our midfield was outnumbered and overrun.

Playing Bale and Lennon certainly doesn't help with the isolation of Ade. Most people have had a go at Harry for allowing Bale / Lennon to roam, and I do think that they're more effective when they stay wide. But by playing both of them, Ade is bound to be isolated sometimes. Which other team plays with two wingers and one striker?

Comments from Solaar and Fuego show that there truly are intelligent individuals watching the game.
/bow

Because people feel it might be in our better, longer term interests to sell certain players doesn't make them less intelligent about football matters. I would gladly keep VdV but I also wouldn't be against selling him either. I agree he is one of our best signings for years but I have always been sceptical about whether he truly fits in with how we play and I don't think he is supported well enough either by the players around him, yesterday being a prime example.

During the game, Rafa was dropping so deep to be an extra midfielder yet we needed him further up the pitch when we actually won the ball back because Adebayor was so isolated. Its catch 22, like I say, I wouldn't mind us keeping him but if selling him manages to allow us to fund bringing in one or two clever buys instead then reluctantly I wouldn't be against it.

I think ultimately to freshen it up, we obviously need a change of manager which will happen now without question, regardless of whether Redknapp is offered the job with England or not.

I also now have no issue with selling Modric either if it brings in major funds to sign players who are younger, hungry and really want to play for and do the best that they can for Spurs.

Ade at times has the first touch of a rapist. People criticised Pav but Ade practically passes the ball in an effort to control it.

Because people feel it might be in our better, longer term interests to sell certain players doesn't make them less intelligent about football matters. I would gladly keep VdV but I also wouldn't be against selling him either. I agree he is one of our best signings for years but I have always been sceptical about whether he truly fits in with how we play and I don't think he is supported well enough either by the players around him, yesterday being a prime example.

During the game, Rafa was dropping so deep to be an extra midfielder yet we needed him further up the pitch when we actually won the ball back because Adebayor was so isolated. Its catch 22, like I say, I wouldn't mind us keeping him but if selling him manages to allow us to fund bringing in one or two clever buys instead then reluctantly I wouldn't be against it.

I think ultimately to freshen it up, we obviously need a change of manager which will happen now without question, regardless of whether Redknapp is offered the job with England or not.

I also now have no issue with selling Modric either if it brings in major funds to sign players who are younger, hungry and really want to play for and do the best that they can for Spurs.

That would be fantastic managment.Sell 2 of our best 3 players.
Adebayor would not even considering staying after that.Then you lose 3 out of your 4 best players.Bale and Lennon would be thinking about leaving and our whole club would colapse like a deck of cards

That would be fantastic managment.Sell 2 of our best 3 players.
Adebayor would not even considering staying after that.Then you lose 3 out of your 4 best players.Bale and Lennon would be thinking about leaving and our whole club would colapse like a deck of cards

Adebayor isn't going to stay anyway. Im not saying definitively sell VdV, I m saying I am not against it. By your definition, if we sold Vdv but ended up buying as an example, Hazard as a result then that would be bad business?!

Bale and Lennon won't want to leave if we show the neccessary ambition in the transfer market and thats the key. Im not suggesting sell players and don't replace them. Im suggesting sell specific players in order to fund buying players who we actually need and who are going to improve the team not just in their abilities but by being players who are delighted to have signed for the club.

Adebayor isn't going to stay anyway. Im not saying definitively sell VdV, I m saying I am not against it. By your definition, if we sold Vdv but ended up buying as an example, Hazard as a result then that would be bad business?!

Bale and Lennon won't want to leave if we show the neccessary ambition in the transfer market and thats the key. Im not suggesting sell players and don't replace them. Im suggesting sell specific players in order to fund buying players who we actually need and who are going to improve the team not just in their abilities but by being players who are delighted to have signed for the club.

I understand where you are coming from,but this is not football manager.We have a great squad now,even our best players like Bale and Modric needed time to adapt to the team and the league.
If we sell,other clubs will know that we are loaded and we will most likely overpay for some young talents that see us as a stepping stone to a bigger club(like Hazard does) and it's never safe to say that someone will adjust to the pace of the premier league.

We should try to keep our best players,just like we did last summer

Hurrah - at last some seem to be seeing the light. Tippy Tappy stuff with no end product from a central midfielder who is supposed to control games just doesnt cut it I'm afraid. Our slow, insipid tempo is almost solely down to him. Bench him. Give others with more hunger, bite and energy a run. Cant be any worse.

This doesn't stack up I'm afraid mate. We have played without Modric this season and every time has been a disaster. That isn't to say that I think Modric is undroppable. Just that I think he is undroppable without a replacement, which we don't have. Thudd is the only player that can come into the team and pass the ball in the midfield (I don't include Niko in this as he just doesn't have all the elements to be a CM imo).

If we're going to drop the little man, we need a replacement, as without it, we have no tempo at all. You can't play with two of Paker/Sandro/Livermore and then Rafa, as Rafa drops too deep and we end up isolating the striker. We can't play 4-4-2 with VDV as we get mugged in midfield. We can't play 4-4-2 without VDV as we have no creativity in the centre. Whatever happens, without Thudd and/or Modric, we look ugly, play ugly and ultimately lose.

I actually think we have a massive summer in front of us, that could include a LOT more changes than we are expecting or (for stability's sake) want.

I understand where you are coming from,but this is not football manager.We have a great squad now,even our best players like Bale and Modric needed time to adapt to the team and the league.
If we sell,other clubs will know that we are loaded and we will most likely overpay for some young talents that see us as a stepping stone to a bigger club(like Hazard does) and it's never safe to say that someone will adjust to the pace of the premier league.

We should try to keep our best players,just like we did last summer

So for a second summer we have Modric going into one and kicking off. We keep him against what he perceives is his will for a second season. His performances decline even more than they have this last 3-4 months, he has one less year on his deal meaning we have probably have lost another ?ú6m-7m off the price we can demand.

I take it you did see the damage that saga caused throughout last summer?

Correct, this isn't football manager hence why I haven't said sell everyone. Bale imo won't even ask to go. But Modric, get top dollar and lets reinvest.

What your suggesting is just accept the status quo because teams know we have money - in other words don't try and sign anyone then because we might pay over odds somewhat.
Thats where being clever in the transfer market comes in.

Modric as a central midfielder needs to weigh in with more goals. ?ú40 million and I'll drive him there myself. As much as he is a quality player he's far from irreplaceable!!!!

Inactuallythink he lacks the dynamic tha we need when the going gets tough and that's my biggest issue

Completely agree.

On his day he's fabulous to watch, but he's not in the same class of the likes of Fabregas, Iniesta, Xavi for example because he simply doesn't exert enough influence the big games enough with goals, assists and defence splitting passes like the aforementioned players do.

Completely agree.

On his day he's fabulous to watch, but he's not in the same class of the likes of Fabregas, Iniesta, Xavi for example because he simply doesn't exert enough influence the big games enough with goals, assists and defence splitting passes like the aforementioned players do.

Scored against Manutd,Chelsea,Liverpool,Werder.

Bossed every single midfield in the premier league,played a blinder against Inter at home and gave always his 100%.

All it takes is one average game from him and he is suddenly an overrated luxury player that cant,defend,score,assist or do anything useful.
I ll just quote a poster above me

"Whatever happens, without Thudd and/or Modric, we look ugly, play ugly and ultimately lose."

Bossed every single midfield in the premier league,played a blinder against Inter at home and gave always his 100%.

All it takes is one average game from him and he is suddenly an overrated luxury player that cant,defend,score,assist or do anything useful.

"Whatever happens, without Thudd and/or Modric, we look ugly, play ugly and ultimately lose."

The United and Chelsea goals of which you speak of were 3 seasons ago! Yes he does it occasionally, he doesn't do it ENOUGH.

I'm not putting all the blame on him and Bale, but people are letting them skate just because they played well in first half of the season.

Your twisting things to suit yourself here. In bold, those are the teams in 4 seasons in big games he has scored against? Not exactly the best of records is it? Considering his goals against Man Utd and Chelsea were 3 years ago and the goal against Bremen was in a game where his goal didn't exactly make the difference against a team that had 15 players injured/ill and suspended.

He isn't a luxury player at all and he isn't overrated, he is a fantastic player but the previous poster was correct in saying in the very biggest games players like Fabregas, Scholes, Iniesta et al are always making the difference and by comparison, Modric hasn't.

I will use one game, Arsenal at home 08-09 and the game is 0-0 with minutes left. Modric goes in on goal at hits it straight at the keeper. Just to go by comparison, I have seen Fabregas numerous times be in the same position and finish clinically to make the difference. As I have Scholes, As I have Iniesta, as I have Xavi which are all players he is supposed to be on the same level as.

You seem to feel that if we don't have him then we never achieve anything near what we have done and by inference place the progress of the club on the point of Modric being a Spurs player. The club is bigger than Modric and whilst he is a fantastic player we can easily progress and do well without him. It would be better with him on board but if not then so be it.

Last edited:
Your twisting things to suit yourself here. In bold, those are the teams in 4 seasons in big games he has scored against? Not exactly the best of records is it? Considering his goals against Man Utd and Chelsea were 3 years ago and the goal against Bremen was in a game where his goal didn't exactly make the difference against a team that had 15 players injured/ill and suspended.

He isn't a luxury player at all and he isn't overrated, he is a fantastic player but the previous poster was correct in saying in the very biggest games players like Fabregas, Scholes, Iniesta et al are always making the difference and by comparison, Modric hasn't.

I will use one game, Arsenal at home 08-09 and the game is 0-0 with minutes left. Modric goes in on goal at hits it straight at the keeper. Just to go by comparison, I have seen Fabregas numerous times be in the same position and finish clinically to make the difference. As I have Scholes, As I have Iniesta, as I have Xavi which are all players he is supposed to be on the same level as.

You seem to feel that if we don't have him then we never achieve anything near what we have done and by inference place the progress of the club on the point of Modric being a Spurs player. The club is bigger than Modric and whilst he is a fantastic player we can easily progress and do well without him. It would be better with him on board but if not then so be it.

All of the players you have mentioned play in 433 systems and have much more freedom than Modric has.I rate Modric by the influence he has in our play,not by the goals he scores.He is not here to score the goals,he is here to provide posession,defend and create chances.Scoring is a BONUS

If you think that the club can easily progress and do well without Modric,then you dont share the same opinion as me,HR,Levy and the majority of the Spurs fans.

Back