• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

--OOMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs. qpr --

Without those 'silly' games this year we may never have seen the emergance of Kane - with a squad more built around the managers requirements next season it may give other players a platform to build on
As long as we don't send any first teamers out to play away against FC Pigfarmer I don't mind.

In fact, it would probably make sense if Poch stayed home and trained with the first team whilst the youth team went out there with their own coaches.

Finally, the big question is, could we definitely get top 4 if we had no European distractions? If the answer to that is 'no', then let's enjoy the Europa League.

The top 6 clubs keep European size squads (c.23 senior players). The rest of the league have smaller squads (c.18 senior players). If we failed to get EL this season we'd have to cut our squad size even more than we are already planning to do. This is for reasons of finance (if our wages can only be 65% of turnover, and our turnover drops significantly by having 8-10 fewer live + televised games, we need to slash the wage bill) and for reasons of squad harmony (you can't say keep 4 senior fullbacks happy if you are only playing once a week etc).

So basically, if we weren't in EL, we'd have to downgrade our squad to a non European one. Liverpool did this when they dropped out of Europe for a few seasons (note how they had to spend on quantity, not quality last summer to be able to compete on 4 fronts again)

On to Old Trafford. We have to take advantage of their stuttering form. The problem is that our defence isn't exactly inspiring confidence.

It's really only their away form that's been patchy (they've drawn a lot of games on their travels although they've still only lost 3). At home, their results are second only to Chelsea's. They've taken over 80% of the available points at OT, with an overall win rate close to the same figure, including 8 of the last 9 games (the loss to Southampton in January was the only time they've dropped points at home since they drew v Chelsea in October). Our away form's not bad, but it doesn't match up to that, and we'll still be up against 14 men.

As long as we don't send any first teamers out to play away against FC Pigfarmer I don't mind.

In fact, it would probably make sense if Poch stayed home and trained with the first team whilst the youth team went out there with their own coaches.

At last - we agree on something!!!!;)

Without those 'silly' games this year we may never have seen the emergance of Kane - with a squad more built around the managers requirements next season it may give other players a platform to build on

You are right. That is exactly what these games are for. Squad players and youth teamers. We have a big squad and no reserve team fixtures any more. So EL is the ideal chance for fringe players to get match time and stake their claim for first team consideration. Much like Harry did this year.

Does anyone think we have looked better without Lamella?

yeah, he kinda looks the part, but I'm not sure his production on either side of the ball is that impressive, he gives it away a lot and for all the chasing and tackling back he does how often do we actually get meaningful possession back?

It's really only their away form that's been patchy (they've drawn a lot of games on their travels although they've still only lost 3). At home, their results are second only to Chelsea's. They've taken over 80% of the available points at OT, with an overall win rate close to the same figure, including 8 of the last 9 games (the loss to Southampton in January was the only time they've dropped points at home since they drew v Chelsea in October). Our away form's not bad, but it doesn't match up to that, and we'll still be up against 14 men.

My bad. I had no idea they had kept such a decent record. It's probably because they play such brick football up there that I assumed they were stuttering.

You are right. That is exactly what these games are for. Squad players and youth teamers. We have a big squad and no reserve team fixtures any more. So EL is the ideal chance for fringe players to get match time and stake their claim for first team consideration. Much like Harry did this year.

I would add in the caveat that first and foremost we should be selecting a team we think should win the match, if we think that's possible with a rotated side then sure go for it - if not i don't want to see us sending a weakened team to get beat.

I would add in the caveat that first and foremost we should be selecting a team we think should win the match, if we think that's possible with a rotated side then sure go for it - if not i don't want to see us sending a weakened team to get beat.

But if our squad players aren't good enough to beat FC Pigfarmers and get us qualified for the knockout stage, then they really aren't good enough to even be squad players imo.

But if our squad players aren't good enough to beat FC Pigfarmers and get us qualified for the knockout stage, then they really aren't good enough to even be squad players imo.

That is an interesting point, and one I would concur with in the main, especially if the squad players are young, hungry academy graduates as opposed to deadwood like Poorlinho and Adebayor.

I think that's a bit arrogant tbf, though im sure it wasn't meant to be ;)

Regardless of stature you can come up against some good sides in the group stages, sides which are used to winning and play in hostile atmospheres. to expect a team of young 'fringe' players to be able to waltz past them despite not having the week in week out game time which our opponents would have is naive IMHO

yeah, he kinda looks the part, but I'm not sure his production on either side of the ball is that impressive, he gives it away a lot and for all the chasing and tackling back he does how often do we actually get meaningful possession back?

I don't think there is much of an end product at all with Lamella personally and I think we end up losing too much less soon in vital spaces personally. I'm not a hug van of Townsend but defenders seem to dislike playing against him more from wheat I've seen due to his pace and extra variety (what little he has)

Neither are much of a goal threat really and both work reasonably hard although Lamella does work harder I'd say

Then I could argue we look better without Mason.

I don't think it's much of an arguement for Lamela just because he played in that Arsenal game, so did 10 others. We've not looked any worse with Lamela out of the side, the only thing I can argue we miss from about him is his work rate, certainly not end product.

Back